Room sizes

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
...It’s a one time major investment for me ...

Take your time. Don't be pressured into believing you need to act now to get some insane discount. Do you really want your one time major investment to be from a discontinued line?

This place, AZB, has so much depth of knowledge and experience.
What type of tables are sound investments, what color cloth works well (and which colors to avoid), size limitations, like being discussed here, best places to search and type of places to avoid, reputable installers in your area, etc.

Don't rush into this and possibly end up with remorse down the line.

Good luck.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No shorty cues. Trust me on this. I grew up on an 8’. I like 8’ fun but not stupid easy. But, if I had to choose I would choose the 7’ ALL day long. Better to play comfortably and in-restricted. Last thing you want to do is limit the stroke. Great to play bar boxes. I have done plenty of that also. 9’ is my total preference for the challenge but, please take my word it’s not good for your game.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I agree with the above...don't rush because this "deal" isn't really a deal. It's just playing with retail versus above cost because he wants the table gone for his benefit. I'd go 7 foot all day long in your situation in order to play pool correctly. Plus, it's the size table you'd play on if you ever got into leagues. The only people that would want to play on your 8' with shorty cues would be hacks that don't really enjoy pool. Good luck, you can always buy a new house too if you really like that table.

pw98

Registered
7' and it's not even close. 8 would be a nightmare, it's just no fun to get into a groove, and have to break your rhythm just to go find the shorty cue. 14' would be my personal minimum for a 4x8. I don't like their recommendation at all.
Not to mention missing because of a 48' cue also really hurts your rhythm.

pw98

Registered
Maybe one more point I should add... there’s a pool table discontinuing this line of pool tables that’s regular price 12k for the 8fter. He has it marked down to 6k. I offered him 3500 cash and he accepted if I want it.... delivered installed and with a felt colour change, cues balls and cover.

This is in Canadian dollars btw lol. 3500 cad is about 2500 US and that gets you an entry level table up here. So I feel like it’s a deal. But don’t want to be stuck with something unplayable or that is so frustrating I just don’t use it.

here’s a pic of the 8fter in the store and after I change the felt...
Tables like this really suck because when you are stretching over the corner for a shot you get stabbed in the balls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tables like this really suck because when you are stretching over the corner for a shot you get stabbed in the balls.
Yup. Sharp, square corners are not a good idea on a pool table. Another table designed by someone who doesn't play pool. Run away.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
A friend put a table in their house where a shorty cue has to be used on just about all shots where the cue ball lays against or near the long rail. It destroys the fun of the run.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first got my table, I wasn't sure it'd fit in my garage. I measured and measured and measured to make sure that cueing wouldn't be hampered anywhere. Luckily I could fit a 7' table... just barely, because my ridiculous lowball offer was accepted, and I could get a valley for $200. If there was any interference at all I would have passed on the table, I had too many bad memories of trying to play on cramped tables with walls and poles in the way.

Obelix1001

Alright, not having even one person say to get the 8, I think I should listen to the experienced people vs the sales guy. Now to find a deal on a 7 table

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys,

I’m really struggling between a 7ft table and a regular 8ft table. My room dimensions are 13ft wide by 20ft.

I’ve searched guides and they suggest 13ft6”
but I was wondering if anyone has a similar size and what there experience has been.

Would you guys rather play with shorter cues or a smaller table? Or 58 inch cues for 80 percent of the shots with a 48 nearby? It’s a one time major investment for me so any input is really appreciated.
Many thanks!
I don’t know why determining what room size you need for any size pool table is such a mystery to most.

You simply take the playing area of the table - 9’=100”x50”, 8’=88”x44”, 7’=78”x39”. Then you add 126” for both width and length (58” standard cue length + 5” for minimum backstroke = 63” x 2 to cover both sides/ends of table = 126”). Then take your total inches divided by 12 gives you your minimum foot and inches need (in decimals) for length and width.

Any amount short of that divided by 2 will let you know exactly how much room you lack and what size or sizes of short cues are needed. Short cues generally come in 52”, 48”, 42” and 36” lengths.

Obelix1001

I don’t know why determining what room size you need for any size pool table is such a mystery to most.

You simply take the playing area of the table - 9’=100”x50”, 8’=88”x44”, 7’=78”x39”. Then you add 126” for both width and length (58” standard cue length + 5” for minimum backstroke = 63” x 2 to cover both sides/ends of table = 126”). Then take your total inches divided by 12 gives you your minimum foot and inches need (in decimals) for length and width.

Any amount short of that divided by 2 will let you know exactly how much room you lack and what size or sizes of short cues are needed. Short cues generally come in 52”, 48”, 42” and 36” lengths.
I don’t think that’s the mystery. I think for most people including myself, the debate lies with what’s a better experience, playing on an 8ft with an occasional shorty cue (for just east west shots with the ball against the rail) or a 7ft with no shorty.
That’s the mystery I was hoping to solve.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think that’s the mystery. I think for most people including myself, the debate lies with what’s a better experience, playing on an 8ft with an occasional shorty cue (for just east west shots with the ball against the rail) or a 7ft with no shorty.
That’s the mystery I was hoping to solve.
My vote would be the 7’, and you’ll still need a 52” cue for some shots due to the limited width.

My response was due to this repetitive question as to how much room you need shows up as often as it does on this forum. Obviously too many on here have no clue how to utilize the search function to get instant answers to their questions.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
My vote would be the 7’, and you’ll still need a 52” cue for some shots due to the limited width.

My response was due to this repetitive question as to how much room you need shows up as often as it does on this forum. Obviously too many on here have no clue how to utilize the search function to get instant answers to their questions.
lol...that is so true in fact, you're usually brought to AZB via a Google search.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a list of table sizes showing the sizes of "shorty" sticks that would be needed in order to have at least 6 inches of stroking room all around. You wouldn't need a shorty stick for shots at the ends of the table unless you get a 12-footer. For shots at the sides (perpendicular to the rail) you'd need a shorty stick between 55.50" (for the smallest 6-footer) down to 41.00" (for a 12-footer).

pj
chgo

View attachment 579275
Where dod you get that calculator?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Where dod you get that calculator?
It's a simple(ish) spreadsheet I made - you're welcome to a copy. I don't think we can send spreadsheets by private message ("Conversation"), but if you message me your email address I'll send it.

pj
chgo

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe one more point I should add... there’s a pool table discontinuing this line of pool tables that’s regular price 12k for the 8fter. He has it marked down to 6k. I offered him 3500 cash and he accepted if I want it.... delivered installed and with a felt colour change, cues balls and cover.

This is in Canadian dollars btw lol. 3500 cad is about 2500 US and that gets you an entry level table up here. So I feel like it’s a deal. But don’t want to be stuck with something unplayable or that is so frustrating I just don’t use it.

here’s a pic of the 8fter in the store and after I change the felt...
After this tidbit of info, I definitely think you should get a Valley bar box.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Because you bought a table that you might not enjoy due to its size, but you purchased based on a perceived deal. Your reason for the table earlier in your thread and the size of your room suggests you should just have gotten a Valley bar box. Plenty of fun, will mostly fit in your room.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
My worst pool experience -- beatiful new brunswick in too small room. Most shots required a cut down cue, but we kept on. Should have never tried.