Rubber wrap for break cue

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I posted this in the "cue maker" forum but didn't get a response so I guess I'll try here.

Does anyone install rubber wraps on break cues? I have a break cue with a stacked leather wrap and it just doesn't get tacky enough to get a grip. It's too slick and it was a poor decision on my part to have it installed on a break cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this in the "cue maker" forum but didn't get a response so I guess I'll try here.

Does anyone install rubber wraps on break cues? I have a break cue with a stacked leather wrap and it just doesn't get tacky enough to get a grip. It's too slick and it was a poor decision on my part to have it installed on a break cue.
Just get one of those rubber sleeves that 3c players use. I wouldn't want one permanently installed 'cause rubber tends to wear out. With a sleeve you just put on a new one.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just get one of those rubber sleeves that 3c players use. I wouldn't want one permanently installed 'cause rubber tends to wear out. With a sleeve you just put on a new one.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Ordered one from Pooldawg.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got one of those sleeves for an inexpensive break cue that I had, as the finish on it was very slippery. Very grippy grip after install, but as the butt was already slightly oversize, with the addition of the wrap, made it almost impossible to get into my JB case, so for now am just using one of my house cues that I installed a very hard tip on for breaking.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Do people actually need a rubber grip on their breakers...? How hard do you people swing, and how weak is your hand strength...?

If you need to really put a stroke on a regular (not break) shot. Do you slip a rubber grip on the player...?

Not mocking, honestly curious...

middleofnowhere

Registered
I got one of those sleeves for an inexpensive break cue that I had, as the finish on it was very slippery. Very grippy grip after install, but as the butt was already slightly oversize, with the addition of the wrap, made it almost impossible to get into my JB case, so for now am just using one of my house cues that I installed a very hard tip on for breaking.
Do not, I repeat do not, try to put a cue into a case with a rubber sleeve on it. I ripped the entire interior out of an expensive Fellini case trying to get my cue out after I had put it in. You have to take the sleeve off.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my case, no I didn't need the rubber grip with the house cue. Even though the break cue that I had and the house cue were no wrap cues, the finish on the break cue was incredibly slick the way it came. I may put it on my lathe and sand it off and just finish it with something else to see how it feels as it wasn't all that expensive of a cue.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I remember about rubber cue sleeves is that it would be a royal pain to add and remove the sleeve every time a cue needs to be cased- if it is a cue taken out for play constantly. Some chaeper cases are so loose in the butt section that you would be better off with one of those with a rubber sleeved cue

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do not, I repeat do not, try to put a cue into a case with a rubber sleeve on it. I ripped the entire interior out of an expensive Fellini case trying to get my cue out after I had put it in. You have to take the sleeve off.

If I remember right, JB will sell you a cloth sleeve designed to be put over a rubber grip to make it easy to use in their cases.

I imagine you could cobble something similar together on your own too.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do people actually need a rubber grip on their breakers...? How hard do you people swing, and how weak is your hand strength...?

If you need to really put a stroke on a regular (not break) shot. Do you slip a rubber grip on the player...?

Re-read my post. I stated I had a stacked leather wrap installed which turned out to be slick. My grip slips on the wrap. It has nothing to do with hand strength.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I picked up a friends cue once (playing cue - Lucasi I think) and he a rubber wrap and it was amazing.

To the OP, you could try getting one of the rubber covers and then remove your leather wrap and install the rubber wrap, this should allow it to fit in a case.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Get a sleeve from JB Cases, I used one for a soft leather wrap I had (Buffalo) and it worked as intended ;)

EDIT for link:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Performance difference or just feel. Comfort I mean, not feel as in playing sensation.

I have a pretty loose grip and it was nice to know I didn't have to worry about the cue slipping out of my hand. The cue I bought with the leather wrap was built for an extension so, although it was within my weight range (sub19oz), is was too back heavy and I sold it back a year or so later to the original seller. (For the record it was beautiful tulip wood MVP cue).

I stuck with my Ned Morris after that but then I sent it to Ned's shop for a buzz and he pressed the wrap without telling me and when it came back the wrap was too slick, I've washed it to get the threads to stand out and that helped. That was two years ago so it's getting back to normal now. I know he did it as a courtesy thing but I was 100% happy with it before and pretty much hated it when it came back. Turns out I picked up another Huebler with original Cortland wrap to my liking so that's what I play with now.

I'm more of a traditionalist when comes to cues and wouldn't put a rubber grip on a player (hence the Buffalo wrap) but I did buy one of those PureX jump/break cues with a rubber wrap (that's the cue I used the sleeve for) and I loved the wrap but hated the cue so sold it too, now breaking with a plain jane Huebler with NO wrap, but when breaking I'm not too worried about it.

EDIT: I babbled, the first sentence should answer your question :)