Rugs for under a billiards table

OtterBoy

Registered
Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on what the best rug for under a tournament size billiards table. The rug is going to be placed on top of new laminate floor and was wondering what type of rug would be best to use. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated and helpful. Thank you.

Prince H

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on what the best rug for under a tournament size billiards table. The rug is going to be placed on top of new laminate floor and was wondering what type of rug would be best to use. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated and helpful. Thank you.

Had this problem a while back...turns out area rugs big enough to cover the area and ensure you are ALWAYS standing on carpet end up being super pricey. You might also have issues with compression after placing the table, which may require the mechanic to come back after it settles.

I ended up compromising and using runners for both the long and short rails. They frame the table nicely and give the high traffic areas some coverage. Not perfect but it works.

I thought i was going to be really picky about shooting with 1 foot on carpet and another on solid flooring, but it ended up not being an issue....home tables have plenty of other things that can shark you so I figured it was best for me to try and fade those kinds of distractions rather than spending a lot on a huge rug. I used the money saved to get a ball cleaner instead :cool:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table is on laminated floor, I prefer to have no rugs, for whatever reason it gets dusty under the table and I hit it with the swiffer broom thing. But I prefer to play in shoes so the no carpet/rug thing works best for me.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table is in an upstairs room with wall to wall carpet. I would prefer it to be directly on, wood, tile or laminate flooring. On carpet, especially if there is padding underneath, settling will take place.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

You will not be sorry. Carpet deadens the sound in the rooms and adds a nice finished look.

Trying to find one pre-made that fits and matches is expensive and can be difficult. My suggestion is to measure the actual size you want and head to Home Depot. They will make an area rug from any of their carpet stock with nice finished edges for only a reasonable service charge above the per yard price of carpet.

I had this one made up for my dining room - love it.

Attachments

• dining carpet.JPG
    dining carpet.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 2,170
Last edited:

PocketPooler

Silver Member
I put a 5x7 under my table. Covers the footprint of my 9' GC2 just right. No worries about tripping over the rug while my mind is on the game. Set it and forget it.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will not be sorry. Carpet deadens the sound in the rooms and adds a nice finished look.

Trying to find one pre-made that fits and matches is expensive and can be difficult. My suggestion is to measure the actual size you want and head to Home Depot. They will make an area rug from any of their carpet stock with nice finished edges for only a reasonable service charge above the per yard price of carpet.

For many reason I agree. This is a reat suggestion and you will be pleased. Having the table right on a hard floor presents sliding problems. Decorative area rugs can present the standing on edge problem. My pool room is the only room upstairs that has wall to wall. I never have leveling problems.

I second TATE's suggestion.
Phil

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used carpet tiles in a perimeter around the table. The table sits on the concrete, but you don't have to walk on it. Makes it a lot easier on the feet.

Attachments

• IMG_20160326_075807.jpg
    IMG_20160326_075807.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 2,366

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Came in to say the same thing.

Go to a fabric store and have them make a carpet rug.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Low pile like the "industrial" stuff, or do what I am planning to do, no rug under the table, rug circling (rectangaling? LOL) around the table. You don't want anything slippery or you'll slide and smack your face on the rail when stretching.

Or maybe cut some nice oval holes to go around the legs so you don't have to worry about the table shifting on the rug as it settles in.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Under the feet

I have seen guys cut a piece of plywood to put under each foot, to help distribute the weight, and lessen the effect of settling.

I have never done that, I just put mine on the room carpet. While it will settle at first, that is done fairly quickly, and you wont have the issue again.

Ken

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rugs for a Pool table

I used Carpet Squares. I found some 3 foot x 3 foot carpet squares to go around my Pool Table & that answered my needs. I found them on Craigslist. They came out of DFW Airport. I got 900 sq ft, for a $100.00

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This setup is a bit odd, you have a rug under the table but not where you would walk around it where you want the rug. Nice of you to make the table comfy though LOL

I'm gonna attack this problem from a slightly different way. I changed out my rug under my table about 4 months ago because I finally wore out all the edging on the old rug. The old one was the same size but all wool and this new one is modern synthetic fibers.

The rug I have now is USA made by, I believe, if I can remember right from the sticker, a company in Cal. called California Creations or something. Anyway, a very high quality modern synthetic Oriental style rug. New they run somewhere around $600 for the style I have. But me being a life long Estate Sale person (I recondition certain sewing machines for re-sale as a money making hobby) I bought this unused (but 12 years old kept in storage), for a grand total of $29 dollars at a local estate sale.

I don't know where you live, but find a local estate sale listing and buy a quality new or slightly used rug at an estate sale. There is no market for used rugs anyway that I know of and estate sales practically give high quality rugs away just to get them out of the houses. And in general they are way higher quality than you will ever find at any big box store retailer for 15% to 25% of the cost. Obviously you want to limit your searches to suburban, preferably exclusive neighborhoods.

For the most part they are standard sizes so get a listing of standard size rugs from the web and decide on the size before looking.

I have no issue playing with one foot on the rug and one foot off but someone else might have bought a larger one. The last one lasted 8 years of playing before I finally wore all the edging off from use. I installed that laminate flooring myself, by the way, and it's still perfect.

View attachment 443891

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the table is sliding it's a lessor quality table that's not very heavy, and yeah.... what's the point of having it under the table?

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I would think that a sissel rug would be good for a pool table room and would not compress much I would think. I've got one in a high traffic area and its held up well for going on a decade.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I like a carpeted pool table room for the sound absorbing qualities, so when I miss a shot the cuss words are clear and crisp.