Rule question - ??

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I should know this, but it has never happened to me....

The last ball on the table is in the rack area. The cue ball lands on the headspot (normally reserved for the ball in the rack). Where is the object ball placed?...or cueball for that matter?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I should know this, but it has never happened to me....

The last ball on the table is in the rack area. The cue ball lands on the headspot (normally reserved for the ball in the rack). Where is the object ball placed?...or cueball for that matter?

Thanks in advance.

Doug
The object ball goes to the center spot. I think I've seen it happen once. For extra credit, when does the cue ball go on the center spot?

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the rule clarification guys. Oddly enough, neither scenario had ever happened to me. I ended just re-racking all 15 balls to avoid any controversy.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The object ball goes to the center spot. I think I've seen it happen once. For extra credit, when does the cue ball go on the center spot?

The cue ball goes on the center spot when it is in the rack and the 15th ball is on the head spot (i.e. interferes with spotting a ball on the head spot).

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cue ball goes on the center spot when it is in the rack and the 15th ball is on the head spot (i.e. interferes with spotting a ball on the head spot).
Yes, with the slight addition that the object ball must be behind the line and interfering. If the object ball is on the line, for example exactly on the spot, it is a playable ball from behind the line, and so you would get cue ball in hand.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Yes, with the slight addition that the object ball must be behind the line and interfering. If the object ball is on the line, for example exactly on the spot, it is a playable ball from behind the line, and so you would get cue ball in hand.

Yes, and that's a good point to make because the rules don't exactly spell that out. I just checked the "special racking considerations" section of the rules and it does not clarify this. It simply says that if the 15th ball is on the head spot (with an asterisk meaning that it interferes with spotting a ball on the head spot) then the cue ball is placed on the center spot.

I couldn't find anything in the rules that spelled out that the CB goes on the center spot only if the 15th ball is on the head spot AND is behind the line.

Bob, unless I'm missing something here, the rules seem a little murky on this situation.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, and that's a good point to make because the rules don't exactly spell that out. I just checked the "special racking considerations" section of the rules and it does not clarify this. It simply says that if the 15th ball is on the head spot (with an asterisk meaning that it interferes with spotting a ball on the head spot) then the cue ball is placed on the center spot.

I couldn't find anything in the rules that spelled out that the CB goes on the center spot only if the 15th ball is on the head spot AND is behind the line.

Bob, unless I'm missing something here, the rules seem a little murky on this situation.
The text says:

(d) If only the cue ball interferes, then it is placed as follows: if the object ball is in front of or on the head string, the cue ball is in hand behind the head string; if the object ball is behind the head string, the cue ball is spotted on the head spot, or on the center spot if the head spot is blocked.

While it may take a few readings to fully understand, I think this is complete and unambiguous for the case when only the cue ball is in the rack.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The text says:

(d) If only the cue ball interferes, then it is placed as follows: if the object ball is in front of or on the head string, the cue ball is in hand behind the head string; if the object ball is behind the head string, the cue ball is spotted on the head spot, or on the center spot if the head spot is blocked.

While it may take a few readings to fully understand, I think this is complete and unambiguous for the case when only the cue ball is in the rack.

Doh! :eek: I guess I was lazy and only looked at the chart. I did know the rule though.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15th ball in kitchen but not on head spot. Cue ball in rack.

15th ball in position, cue ball on head spot. But!!!, is the 15th ball playable?

This happened today. I took the position that the 15th ball was playable but nobody agreed with me, including Sailor who I guess should know. Am I wrong?

Dave Nelson

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
15th ball in kitchen but not on head spot. Cue ball in rack.

15th ball in position, cue ball on head spot. But!!!, is the 15th ball playable?

This happened today. I took the position that the 15th ball was playable but nobody agreed with me, including Sailor who I guess should know. Am I wrong?

Dave Nelson

You are correct. The situation you describe is covered under 4.8D. At the end of rule 4.8 (Special Racking Considerations) after A,B,C, & D covering the various scenarios it goes on to say:

In any case, there is no restriction on which object ball the shooter may play as the first shot of the new rack.

Here's the link to the rule: http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_141

Last edited: