Rules on Lining up Bank shots with the Cue

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there rules on lining up a bank using your cue stick in middle of a match, without making any marks on the table. A player i was playing told me i cannot do that, and have to use my eyes sight only! I have seen pros do it in big matches.. Thanks.
 
you must keep your hand on your cue stick
you cannot lay it down in the table and take your hands off it
you cant leave a chalk spot with the tip as an aiming point
but you can use the stick to figure the angles
 
Are there rules on lining up a bank using your cue stick in middle of a match, without making any marks on the table. A player i was playing told me i cannot do that, and have to use my eyes sight only! I have seen pros do it in big matches.. Thanks.

WPA rules

6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.
 
WPA rules

6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.

I think this is a bad rule. I hope it is removed in the upcoming revision of the rules.
 
John Novak:
WPA rules

6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.
Bob:
I think this is a bad rule. I hope it is removed in the upcoming revision of the rules.
I agree it's an unnecessary rule. Is that what you mean, or something more?

I think all measuring prohibitions (except maybe marking) are unnecessary.

pj
chgo
 
I agree it's an unnecessary rule. Is that what you mean, or something more?

I think all measuring prohibitions (except maybe marking) are unnecessary.

pj
chgo
I believe the rule was put in for one or a few specific players who would go at some shots so methodically it would delay matches. My feeling is that a player should be able to use his cue stick any way he pleases in lining up a shot. Using something additional such as a bridge to line up the second half of a bank shot, is reasonably forbidden, but the rule that should usually be applied is delay of game. If a chess clock is in operation, there should be no concern.
 
you must keep your hand on your cue stick
you cannot lay it down in the table and take your hands off it
you cant leave a chalk spot with the tip as an aiming point
but you can use the stick to figure the angles

I agree this sums it quite nice.JB
 
All rules & laws should be abolished!

Especially those in the US except the constitution & bill of rights. Period!
 
Disagree

I have to disagree. Not just banks, but more often players will use their cue when lining up cut shots especially long cut shots. I have seen many of them leaving marks on the table as the point to aim for on those difficult shots.

I don't like the laying of a cuestick on the table, never have, and I think that shots should be aimed by eyesight only.
 
In our league there isnt a sanction, we just play doubles by bar rules. last night an older gentlemen was paired with one of the other guys wives. she was younger and obviously just started, no big deal. i had the issue with him laying his cue down on the table behind the ob and standing back with her showing her exactly what to do and then holding his finger on spots for her to aim at. but since theres no rules against it oh well. i thought it was complete bs but didnt say anything its all for fun and i wouldnt want to ruin her experience starting out
 
I have to disagree. Not just banks, but more often players will use their cue when lining up cut shots especially long cut shots. I have seen many of them leaving marks on the table as the point to aim for on those difficult shots.

I don't like the laying of a cuestick on the table, never have, and I think that shots should be aimed by eyesight only.


The TC mentioned that no marks were left on the table....
 
Back
Top