Rules question for most any game...

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
I was just sitting here thinking and wondered...

If a player (let's say they are playing 14.1 for our example) hits a slow roller to a pocket, looks up and sees, the pocket is full. Is he allowed to run around and take a few balls out before that ball gets there?

AND what would happen to the game him if he did playing: 14.1, 9B, 8B, 1P, ...?

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
Donovan said:
This sentence just doesn't make any sense to me, D-man. As long as any of the rules aren't violated, there shouldn't be any problem with what you suggest in any of the games. The biggest concern would be touching the incoming ball with the hand pulling balls out of the pocket. As long as that doesn't happen, you should be golden...

Donovan

Silver Member
Well, that is how I see it, but I was just wondering. Heaven forbid somebody did knock a ball on the table and pick it back up before interfering or something like that. I was just curious how you guys saw this. Thanks for the comments!

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
It should be noted though, in APA high level play....if you do something like reach for a cue ball that is about to scratch ( regardless how obvious ) it is a forfeiture.

So, a scenario where reaching for something on the table does exist.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Donovan said:
I... If a player (let's say they are playing 14.1 for our example) hits a slow roller to a pocket, looks up and sees, the pocket is full. Is he allowed to run around and take a few balls out before that ball gets there? ...
Normally the players are allowed to clear pockets. There is no restriction on when the player at the table can do this.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Well ....

considering the player is on the opposite side of the table when shooting towards a pocket, I have serious doubts they could get around the table in time before the ball got there...... Of course, Superman could and Spidey could shoot a web and leap frog over, but other than that, I rather doubt it.

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
considering the player is on the opposite side of the table when shooting towards a pocket, I have serious doubts they could get around the table in time before the ball got there...... Of course, Superman could and Spidey could shoot a web and leap frog over, but other than that, I rather doubt it.

On a fast 9' table, I think you can slow roll a long bank and have time to get a ball or two out of the pocket next to you...

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
theres always the instance of a slow long table bank shot, but really if its being slow rolled, the chances of it kicking out of the pocket off balls in the pocket is slim to none, this is a more general occurance when theres alittle something something on the object with the hard or heavy english shots. if it is a slow rolled pocket speed, you needent really wory about it bouncing back out. in addition if the pocket is filled up enough where the balls are over flowing and they would prevent anouther ball from entering the pocket, this is something you should of been bale to spot in your preshot routine and line up, so if you failed to clear it out at that point, you probably have larger issues than being able to race to the other side.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
So what's the rule when pocket is very full and a player fails to clear it, and a ball rolling into the pocket never fully drops because it's resting on the bals that were already in there? Is the rule different depending on if the OB ends up leaning on the other balls, or if it bounces back onto the table? Just curious.

-Andrew

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
So what's the rule when pocket is very full and a player fails to clear it, and a ball rolling into the pocket never fully drops because it's resting on the bals that were already in there? Is the rule different depending on if the OB ends up leaning on the other balls, or if it bounces back onto the table? Just curious.

-Andrew
If the ball is still resting on the table, it's not a pocketed ball and so doesn't count as having been pocketed. Doesn't matter if it is touching or "leaning" against a ball in the pocket as long as the base of the ball is resting on the table.

Donovan

Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:

BTW, I am a big guy and I can get from corner to corner on a slow rolling shot. It really is not that hard.

Donovan

Silver Member
bsmutz said:
If the ball is still resting on the table, it's not a pocketed ball and so doesn't count as having been pocketed. Doesn't matter if it is touching or "leaning" against a ball in the pocket as long as the base of the ball is resting on the table.

I am not sure it can ever be both. Once you pull the ball from the pocket, the OB ball is either going to fall in ore not...resting or not. But ANDREW, I have no idea what the deal is if it is too close to tell, before you remove the ball from the pocket. One thing is for sure, if this is the case, the balls in the pocket have to come out in order to make the OB ball in question, or it would be silly to shoot it. LOL As is all of these situations, but sometime we forget to look. ;)

sde

Silver Member
Donovan said:
I was just sitting here thinking and wondered...

If a player (let's say they are playing 14.1 for our example) hits a slow roller to a pocket, looks up and sees, the pocket is full. Is he allowed to run around and take a few balls out before that ball gets there?

The question has already been answered but....

If you hit the ball slowly enough to run around the table and take balls out of the pocket, the OB would probably not come back out unless the last ball in the pocket was above the slate. :confused:

Also you must be pretty fast on your feet. I know I could not get there fast enough. :eek: :)

Steve

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Wilson said:
It should be noted though, in APA high level play....if you do something like reach for a cue ball that is about to scratch ( regardless how obvious ) it is a forfeiture.

So, a scenario where reaching for something on the table does exist.

No it's not. Only in situations where there is a potential for an end-game result would this be ruled as such. In all other scenarios, it's just a foul.