Rules question

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Situation:
Player at the table scratches, and the last two balls are in the kitchen.
What can the incoming player do?
I know I have BIH in the kitchen but how do I play a return safety without fouling?
Thanks!

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cant shoot balls in the kitchen on a scratch,they must be over the head string.
I can't remember the rule on this.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the shooter has the cue ball in hand behind the head string and all the legal object balls are behind the head string, he may request the legal object ball nearest the head string to be spotted. If two or more balls are equal distance from the head string, the shooter may designate which of the equidistant balls is to be spotted. An object ball that rests exactly on the head string is playable.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Measureman. Is that printed somewhere? We referred to the BCA rules book but couldn't find anything that addressed this issue directly.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the shooter has the cue ball in hand behind the head string and all the legal object balls are behind the head string, he may request the legal object ball nearest the head string to be spotted. If two or more balls are equal distance from the head string, the shooter may designate which of the equidistant balls is to be spotted. An object ball that rests exactly on the head string is playable.
‘GENERAL RULE‘ #1.5.
BTW: As impressive as Shaw’s 700+ ball record run was (especially his luck in never getting ‘smothered’ after breaking all those racks), I DID notice while thumbing through the BCA rulebook that the racking template he used is specifically BANNED in 14.1.

Podunker

This came up other day. Last ball in kitchen, cue in rack. Can cue be put on kitchen spot and ball be shot at? I let opponent shoot it this way. Neither of us could truly remember.

Upon further review, our aggregated 70 year old brains got it right.

Last edited:

Zerksies

‘GENERAL RULE‘ #1.5.
BTW: As impressive as Shaw’s 700+ ball record run was (especially his luck in never getting ‘smothered’ after breaking all those racks), I DID notice while thumbing through the BCA rulebook that the racking template he used is specifically BANNED in 14.1.
You do realize the rules on the site are from 2008 and template racks weren't a thing

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This came up other day. Last ball in kitchen, cue in rack. Can cue be put on kitchen spot and ball be shot at? I let opponent shoot it this way. Neither of us could truly remember.

I THINK, the kitchen spot is considered across the line,,,,,,, not positive though.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rule book states: CB in the rack, 15th ball behind the head-string (but not on the head-spot): then, 15th ball in position, CB behind the head-string. But, if the 15th ball IS on the head-spot, then CB goes to the center-spot. Go figure. The latter would make for a very tough breakshot, while the former might be something to plan for.

Last edited:

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, would you chime in on the original post. If the incoming player has bih in the kitchen, and the last two balls are in the kitchen, what can he do?
Thanks!

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rule book states: CB in the rack, 15th ball behind the head-string (but not on the head-spot): then, 15th ball in position, CB behind the head-string. But, if the 15th ball IS on the head-spot, then CB goes to the center-spot. Go figure. The latter would make for a very tough breakshot, while the former might be something to plan for.
Podunker had it right. The 14.1 placement chart in the BCA 2018 rulebook has a misprint! (see my 4:11pm post yesterday). Current WPA & older BCA book charts designate: CB in rack goes to the head spot when 15th ball in kitchen, unless that ball interferes, in which case CB goes to center spot.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree with Measureman. (Thank you Measureman!) I just don't see that that specific problem is addressed in the rules.