Running multiple racks - perfect execution of the easy shots

ktrepal85

Banned
Normally when I think about improvement I think about the hard shots and how to practice them. Last night, however, I had an epiphany and decided to work on my consistency and execution of the simple shots. So I came up with an idea. I set up a pretty easy nine ball layout(see picture) and I decided that I would try to run 10 racks in a row. None of the shots were very hard and position was easy so I figured it wouldn't be too hard.

Well, I played for about 90 minutes and I was only able to run two consecutive racks. I was majorly disappointed. I ran two in a row quite a few times but I never managed to put together a 3 pack. It wasn't until last night that I realized that maybe I shouldn't be focused on making those hard shots that I always practice. I actually need to spend much more time working on staying focused and consistently making the easy/medium shots.

I now understand the importance of execution. consistency, staying in line, staying off the rail, hitting the center of the pocket, speed control, staying close to your next object ball, and doing all of the easy things perfectly.

I've developed a whole new appreciation for how much work goes into running 5 or 6 racks in tournament play. I've got lots of work do! I will be putting in some time this week and running at least a 5 pack of this easy layout. I'll keep ya posted :)
 
I think you realized that there are no easy shots, or layouts. That is the trap.

Focus and attention to the task at hand makes all the difference.
 
I agree completely. It can be the easiest rack in the world, and then suddenly you're on the wrong side of a ball, or you're jacked up, and then you're thinking how did I screw this up this gimme. Running easy racks consistently isn't easy.
 
Normally when I think about improvement I think about the hard shots and how to practice them. Last night, however, I had an epiphany and decided to work on my consistency and execution of the simple shots. So I came up with an idea. I set up a pretty easy nine ball layout(see picture) and I decided that I would try to run 10 racks in a row. None of the shots were very hard and position was easy so I figured it wouldn't be too hard.

Well, I played for about 90 minutes and I was only able to run two consecutive racks. I was majorly disappointed. I ran two in a row quite a few times but I never managed to put together a 3 pack. It wasn't until last night that I realized that maybe I shouldn't be focused on making those hard shots that I always practice. I actually need to spend much more time working on staying focused and consistently making the easy/medium shots.

I now understand the importance of execution. consistency, staying in line, staying off the rail, hitting the center of the pocket, speed control, staying close to your next object ball, and doing all of the easy things perfectly.

I've developed a whole new appreciation for how much work goes into running 5 or 6 racks in tournament play. I've got lots of work do! I will be putting in some time this week and running at least a 5 pack of this easy layout. I'll keep ya posted :)
Several quites
From Danny DiLiberto,
"Good pool is just doing simple things consistently"

This is from a pro about winning tournaments,
"If you just get out when you are supposed to you will be tough to beat".

From unknown
"Few mistakes you make playing pool that if given a second chance you would not do successfully, so do it right the first time".

Unknown
"Perfecting your strengths are as if not more important then improving your weaknesses".

"Work on your weaknesses while raising your strengths to perfection".
 
Last edited:
That's where a good pretty shot routine comes in. Once your down on a shot. Pretty much every shot should take the same amount of time and focus. How many times you see someone one stroke an easy shot. I do this way to often but I am working on it.
 
That's where a good pretty shot routine comes in. Once your down on a shot. Pretty much every shot should take the same amount of time and focus. How many times you see someone one stroke an easy shot. I do this way to often but I am working on it.
The real goal is to not make things any harder then they already are, don't create your own problems. Often after say a good break, once you survey the table for a short time you know you are out. You should relax and just run the balls.

Many inexperienced players sort of panic when it is easy afraid they are going to screw up and it becomes a "Self fulfilling prophecy". You will see players get ball in hand with four balls on the table and manage to get in such bad trouble they don't get out.

You have to win when it is easy. No matter who you are playing there will always be a certain share of games that are yours to win no matter what. Not many matches end with one player at zero. Even if you are playing a champion, at the very least make him have to play like a champion to win, don't just fall over. You will be amazed, those champions are beatable when they don't play a 100%. You see it in tournaments all the time.
 
Last edited:
If you are already a decent shot maker that should not be your focus. Pool is not like target practice. ..so much more to it.

Your focus needs to be on position pattern play and cue ball control. Practice 6 ball outs until you can't miss. Learn multiple routes to the next ball so you have options in traffic. Learn recovery shots to get back in line. When you are running out better move to playing the ghost, taking ball in hand after the break and racing to 5 or 7 games. You get out you win game and if you don't ghost does.

Good to hear you are having a breakthrough. ..that's how we learn ...in leaps..then regress some ...then to the next level. Just enjoy the journey. Don't settle to be the guy who doesn't improve over 30 years
 
Normally when I think about improvement I think about the hard shots and how to practice them. Last night, however, I had an epiphany and decided to work on my consistency and execution of the simple shots. So I came up with an idea. I set up a pretty easy nine ball layout(see picture) and I decided that I would try to run 10 racks in a row. None of the shots were very hard and position was easy so I figured it wouldn't be too hard.

Well, I played for about 90 minutes and I was only able to run two consecutive racks. I was majorly disappointed. I ran two in a row quite a few times but I never managed to put together a 3 pack. It wasn't until last night that I realized that maybe I shouldn't be focused on making those hard shots that I always practice. I actually need to spend much more time working on staying focused and consistently making the easy/medium shots.

I now understand the importance of execution. consistency, staying in line, staying off the rail, hitting the center of the pocket, speed control, staying close to your next object ball, and doing all of the easy things perfectly.

I've developed a whole new appreciation for how much work goes into running 5 or 6 racks in tournament play. I've got lots of work do! I will be putting in some time this week and running at least a 5 pack of this easy layout. I'll keep ya posted :)

That setup is a cosmo :)
 
I can relate 100% to what you're saying. I can fire a shot in that WIllie Mosconi couldn't make (not literally, guys) and follow it up with a miss on a two-foot slight cut.

It ISN'T the HARD shots that I usually miss...it is the EASY ones.

My focus isn't what it used to be and I need to remind myself to pay attention when I get up to the table.

I think one thing that can improve a lot of people's games is to "stay SIMPLE", if you can. I think Buddy Hall supposedly said, "Don't play position when you already have it."). A lot of people's mistakes come when they "overplay" a shot instead of keeping cool and playing the "best shot available and makeable". By that, I mean "don't try to make a 85% shot into a 90% shot if you don't have to. Take the 85% shot because you may screw up and your position may give you a less than 85% shot. To ME, it isn't worth the chance to try the "extra tight" position unless it is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL to the winning of the game.

Aloha.
 
If it looks hard, you're doing it wrong. Seriously, the best players make it look easy because they always get the simple shot. They're always on the right side of the ball so the out stays easy, just like the shots you set up.
 
I feel your pain. I play mostly 8 ball but I cant tell you how many times I looked at the table and said "this is a great layout, Im getting out easy here" and never got out, yet on some of the impossible looking layouts somehow I manage to get out. When I think back to a tough rack that I get out on its like you can not even remember how you managed to get from ball to ball. Maybe its that tough layout that makes you focus harder to play better shape and not take shots for granted.
 
I agree completely. It can be the easiest rack in the world, and then suddenly you're on the wrong side of a ball, or you're jacked up, and then you're thinking how did I screw this up this gimme. Running easy racks consistently isn't easy.

Actually it is, pool especially 9 ball is a very forgiving game. You don't have to play perfect to be a run out player. You have to recognize your margins of error and stay within them.

Being on the right side of a shot almost always has a safe zone where anywhere within it you are OK. These safe zones are usually triangles. Once you can see them in your mind you see how big your margin of error actually is. I am referring to position play of course.

Many time nothing more then the middle of the table is all you need yet you may see the player inexplicably against the rail. Not because they don't have the limited skill required to be somewhere close to the right place.

Before the shot they were not really thinking about anything. Here they have blown a simple runout well within their skill level. Practicing the simple stuff you should always get right is a very good way to raise your game.

Surprisingly, the better and more consistently you do the simple things, the easier the harder stuff becomes. Your overall game is becoming more precision.

If you hit all shots with the same precision, even the easiest shots, it carries over to the hard shots. Just because a shot is easy is not a license to play sloppy. Play all shots with the same care, even in practice. Pool is not a hard game, it's demands are not all that high.
 
Last edited:
Normally when I think about improvement I think about the hard shots and how to practice them. Last night, however, I had an epiphany and decided to work on my consistency and execution of the simple shots. So I came up with an idea. I set up a pretty easy nine ball layout(see picture) and I decided that I would try to run 10 racks in a row. None of the shots were very hard and position was easy so I figured it wouldn't be too hard.

Well, I played for about 90 minutes and I was only able to run two consecutive racks. I was majorly disappointed. I ran two in a row quite a few times but I never managed to put together a 3 pack. It wasn't until last night that I realized that maybe I shouldn't be focused on making those hard shots that I always practice. I actually need to spend much more time working on staying focused and consistently making the easy/medium shots.

I now understand the importance of execution. consistency, staying in line, staying off the rail, hitting the center of the pocket, speed control, staying close to your next object ball, and doing all of the easy things perfectly.

I've developed a whole new appreciation for how much work goes into running 5 or 6 racks in tournament play. I've got lots of work do! I will be putting in some time this week and running at least a 5 pack of this easy layout. I'll keep ya posted :)

I like your style, I do the same thing with one of my practice drills. I also find that removing one of the balls and working the different patterns is helpful also. By removing one or more it will keep the mind working, changing the runout pattern. Good luck on the 5 pack, it is way harder then it looks.

Good luck.
 
Someone once asked me, "you know the difference between a banger and a pro? The pros make all the easy shots."
 
I just got home from work and played this layout for 43 minutes and ran a 6 pack, yeee hawww!!!! :)

Now that you have done the EASY work, you need to work on convincing your opponent to give you this layout every game. That is the HARD part.

Good job on the 6-pack! :)
 
Back
Top