Sad news. Tim Scruggs past away last night.

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim Scruggs

I had wished I could have attended the dinner celebrating the life and times of my dear friend Tim Scruggs. Unfortunately, another recent surgery prevents me from even having a meal, let alone traveling or socializing.

If I would have been able to attend, I would have had some good stories to share about my friend, Tim.

My friendship with Tim was built from our mutual love of playing pool, which started in the mid-70’s at the Joss Cue Shop and continued through the last time I had the privilidge of speaking with him around Christmas or New Year’s.

It’s sad for me to even write about Tim, as he represents a huge chapter in my life. But all my memories regarding him are very pleasant ones, stuff that brings a huge whopping smile to my face.

Each cue he built, no matter how simple or eloquent or elaborate, was a small symbol of what he considered as his trade. He not only took great pleasure in the building of his cues, but he appreciated most of the avenues the business of cue building gave him, particularly that which allowed him to meet people and, of course, do a little traveling.

For me, it seemed that being a friend of Tim’s was the same as being part of a family. Tim embraced most everyone. And there were those who took advantage of Tim’s graciousness and kindness. I know of too many times Tim had made cues for particular individuals who had come crying to him, down and out, on their last legs, broke. They needed something to play with. Could Ol’ Tim help out? And Timmy made them something personal or gave them something real, real nice. And those guys took the cue, maybe played with it a bit, but turned around and sold it or traded it or whatever, for cheap-cheap. I know it would burn Timmy a bit, but he had such a big heart. That’s what was so appealing about him to so many.

I know Tim loved Baltimore, old cars, doo wop music, the Bowery Boys, crab soup, pasta, telling stories or a good joke, pool and his lovely wife. There was a certain way he could look at you, his eyes would light up, it was endearing.

And Tim was a very strong pool player. Very knowledgeable. A player whom I respected very much and I certainly treasured our many, many duels together. Once, we played 16 hours straight at the Joss Shop.

I made countless trips from Lancaster to Baltimore to visit with Tim. Sometimes they were for business, but many times they were just for catching up.

Tim supported and encouraged my ideas for a regional 9-ball tour. In 1997, I ran all over Southeast Pennsylvania visiting and talking to other poolroom owners and finally in the Fall, we kicked off the Tim Scruggs Power 9-Ball Tour. It was a huge success. Particularly for the players, but also for the poolrooms. In 2002, I let the operation of the Tour go to a couple of other individuals and at the same time, Tim decided his business would no longer be interested in supporting it. So, I entrusted the tour to a fellow out of Allentown who managed it very weakly the first year. Luckily Jose Burgos stepped in and rescued the tour, directing it into what it is today. (Too bad I haven’t been able to keep up with it lately.) Regardless, for those who remember that fine, fine Regional Tour and basically to those who now compete in it’s successor, none of it would have happened if not for Tim’s help and support.

After 2003, my life changed dramatically, as did Tim’s. I missed being able to visit the shop and talking with the gang. As it does, time passes so quickly. I no longer was able to follow my treks to Baltimore. Sometimes I would call and talk with Mike. Find out how everyone was doing. But that all changed when he left us so suddenly and sadly, in early 2010. I cried.

Then I became ill with cancer in late, 2012. It’s been a rocky road. After surgery and radiation and chemothopy and medications and yada yada yada, I am cancer free. But, now I fight the problems from radiation damage.

Luckily, around Thanksgiving, I saw an old comrade who had actually been visiting with Tim. He passed along Tim’s phone number and I was able to reach out to my old friend. Talking with Tim was like we had spoken yesterday. Such a pleasure. He invited me to go out for dinner. I assured him that he and I would be having some crab soup after my upcoming surgery.

The surgery ended up being June 15th. I got released from the Hershey Medical Center on the 20th. Several friends contacted me on Monday, the 22nd with the news of Tim. I cried. Was back in hospital the following day. Have been home for a few days, but this is the first I have had time to share.

Regardless, I will always cherish the friendship I had with Tim and a thousand great memories.

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DiamondTshirt1998b.jpg DiamondTshirt1998a.jpg

For those who may remember ....................................

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had wished I could have attended the dinner celebrating the life and times of my dear friend Tim Scruggs. Unfortunately, another recent surgery prevents me from even having a meal, let alone traveling or socializing.

If I would have been able to attend, I would have had some good stories to share about my friend, Tim.

My friendship with Tim was built from our mutual love of playing pool, which started in the mid-70’s at the Joss Cue Shop and continued through the last time I had the privilidge of speaking with him around Christmas or New Year’s.

It’s sad for me to even write about Tim, as he represents a huge chapter in my life. But all my memories regarding him are very pleasant ones, stuff that brings a huge whopping smile to my face.

Each cue he built, no matter how simple or eloquent or elaborate, was a small symbol of what he considered as his trade. He not only took great pleasure in the building of his cues, but he appreciated most of the avenues the business of cue building gave him, particularly that which allowed him to meet people and, of course, do a little traveling.

For me, it seemed that being a friend of Tim’s was the same as being part of a family. Tim embraced most everyone. And there were those who took advantage of Tim’s graciousness and kindness. I know of too many times Tim had made cues for particular individuals who had come crying to him, down and out, on their last legs, broke. They needed something to play with. Could Ol’ Tim help out? And Timmy made them something personal or gave them something real, real nice. And those guys took the cue, maybe played with it a bit, but turned around and sold it or traded it or whatever, for cheap-cheap. I know it would burn Timmy a bit, but he had such a big heart. That’s what was so appealing about him to so many.

I know Tim loved Baltimore, old cars, doo wop music, the Bowery Boys, crab soup, pasta, telling stories or a good joke, pool and his lovely wife. There was a certain way he could look at you, his eyes would light up, it was endearing.

And Tim was a very strong pool player. Very knowledgeable. A player whom I respected very much and I certainly treasured our many, many duels together. Once, we played 16 hours straight at the Joss Shop.

I made countless trips from Lancaster to Baltimore to visit with Tim. Sometimes they were for business, but many times they were just for catching up.

Tim supported and encouraged my ideas for a regional 9-ball tour. In 1997, I ran all over Southeast Pennsylvania visiting and talking to other poolroom owners and finally in the Fall, we kicked off the Tim Scruggs Power 9-Ball Tour. It was a huge success. Particularly for the players, but also for the poolrooms. In 2002, I let the operation of the Tour go to a couple of other individuals and at the same time, Tim decided his business would no longer be interested in supporting it. So, I entrusted the tour to a fellow out of Allentown who managed it very weakly the first year. Luckily Jose Burgos stepped in and rescued the tour, directing it into what it is today. (Too bad I haven’t been able to keep up with it lately.) Regardless, for those who remember that fine, fine Regional Tour and basically to those who now compete in it’s successor, none of it would have happened if not for Tim’s help and support.

After 2003, my life changed dramatically, as did Tim’s. I missed being able to visit the shop and talking with the gang. As it does, time passes so quickly. I no longer was able to follow my treks to Baltimore. Sometimes I would call and talk with Mike. Find out how everyone was doing. But that all changed when he left us so suddenly and sadly, in early 2010. I cried.

Then I became ill with cancer in late, 2012. It’s been a rocky road. After surgery and radiation and chemothopy and medications and yada yada yada, I am cancer free. But, now I fight the problems from radiation damage.

Luckily, around Thanksgiving, I saw an old comrade who had actually been visiting with Tim. He passed along Tim’s phone number and I was able to reach out to my old friend. Talking with Tim was like we had spoken yesterday. Such a pleasure. He invited me to go out for dinner. I assured him that he and I would be having some crab soup after my upcoming surgery.

The surgery ended up being June 15th. I got released from the Hershey Medical Center on the 20th. Several friends contacted me on Monday, the 22nd with the news of Tim. I cried. Was back in hospital the following day. Have been home for a few days, but this is the first I have had time to share.

Regardless, I will always cherish the friendship I had with Tim and a thousand great memories.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Best,

Petros

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i cried reading your story
i pray for you to have a speedy recovery
larry

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Thanks for the insight, I remember you and your tour. Those were special times that we can never go back too.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
My memories of Tim

This was my Memorial speech I spoke at Timmys Tribute Dinner and also what I wrote up on my facebook page On June 20th the morning Tim Passed away. It was very difficult. The year this story started was 1983 when I was 14 years old.

June 20th was just one of the saddest days of my life.I got a call letting me know that Tim Scruggs passed away.Most people knew Tim as one of the greatest custom cue makers in the world.I knew Tim as a Father figure since I was 13 years old.
Tim would always check on me to make sure I stayed away from trouble.So many great memories over the years Tim taught me how to repair and make pool cues.Tim always told me never to trust gamblers and beware of alot of pool players.Tim always told me when buying pool cues try to buy 1 of a kind cues and anything with a great story as it helps the value of my investment.
One weekend I stopped by his shop in the old barn and on his pool table was a very fancy pool cue.I picked it up while he wasn't looking and I seemed to never miss a shot.Tim walked over and said now Bobby put that cue down now as its the 1st pool cue I ever made.I said Yes sir Mr.Scruggs.Tim said to me how old are you now and I told him 14 years old and Tim said remind me 14 years from now and as long as you haven't got in any trouble this cue will be yours.I couldn't wait and never mentioned it to him but when I turned 28 I didn't have to remind him and Tim showed up at a Tournament I was playing in and he said Bobby I want you to have something and he handed me the cue.I still have the cue and will be playing with it for a while in his honor.
Tim taught me great values in life and like many others I could never repay him for all he did for me.I love you Tim and look forward to seeing you again in Heaven.

Bobby Chamberlain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was my Memorial speech I spoke at Timmys Tribute Dinner and also what I wrote up on my facebook page On June 20th the morning Tim Passed away. It was very difficult. The year this story started was 1983 when I was 14 years old.

June 20th was just one of the saddest days of my life.I got a call letting me know that Tim Scruggs passed away.Most people knew Tim as one of the greatest custom cue makers in the world.I knew Tim as a Father figure since I was 13 years old.
Tim would always check on me to make sure I stayed away from trouble.So many great memories over the years Tim taught me how to repair and make pool cues.Tim always told me never to trust gamblers and beware of alot of pool players.Tim always told me when buying pool cues try to buy 1 of a kind cues and anything with a great story as it helps the value of my investment.
One weekend I stopped by his shop in the old barn and on his pool table was a very fancy pool cue.I picked it up while he wasn't looking and I seemed to never miss a shot.Tim walked over and said now Bobby put that cue down now as its the 1st pool cue I ever made.I said Yes sir Mr.Scruggs.Tim said to me how old are you now and I told him 14 years old and Tim said remind me 14 years from now and as long as you haven't got in any trouble this cue will be yours.I couldn't wait and never mentioned it to him but when I turned 28 I didn't have to remind him and Tim showed up at a Tournament I was playing in and he said Bobby I want you to have something and he handed me the cue.I still have the cue and will be playing with it for a while in his honor.
Tim taught me great values in life and like many others I could never repay him for all he did for me.I love you Tim and look forward to seeing you again in Heaven.

Bobby Chamberlain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure that would be a gorgeous cue, perhaps you wld like to post pictures n share it :)

R.i.p Tim Scruggs

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bobby Chamberlain

Another great story, thanks for sharing.

Petros

jkjerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So very, very sorry to hear about this. God Bless Tim's family and friends. RIP catbird!

Jerry&Cindi

jkjerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best part of owning a TS was going there and seeing Tim & Mike.... You will never meet two nicer guys.

EL'nino,

You are so right.

Tim and Mike always made you feel at home at the shop on Leeds even though they had to keep pace with scheduling. Each was a true gentleman and craftsman. I did not know Tim prior to the Leeds location but I'm sure the experience for all was the same.

RIP Tim and Mike. A repeat of my condolences to the family and friends of both of these fine gentleman.

Jerry

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member

Bobby Chamberlain

Thank you for this.
Sounds like he instilled some great values.Wish I could of met him.