Sanding a carbon fiber shaft

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Anyone know if it can be done? Got some super glue on mine. It is not laminated so I think it can be sanded a little.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't try to sand it as that might just cause fibers to come up. Acetone is the solvent for super-glue. Take a microfiber towel and put a little acetone on it and see it if comes off with some rubbing.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NOT RECOMMENDED. Sanding CA off is not a good idea for multiple reasons.. Ask in the Cuemaker section someone may know of way to help..

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I recently had a eBay fake carbon 314-2 come thru my hands for a tip change. I knew he wasn't worried about the warranty on an 80 dollar shaft,so I experimented.

I was able to improve the finish on it by wet sanding it with 1500/2000/2500 using the brown Johnson's paste wax or J-Wax as a lubricant instead of water. I finished up by removing the slurry with denatured alcohol,and going back over it with a dry,fresh 3000 grit 3M Trizac sponge. I used Renaissance wax to finish. Tommy D.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently had a eBay fake carbon 314-2 come thru my hands for a tip change. I knew he wasn't worried about the warranty on an 80 dollar shaft,so I experimented.

I was able to improve the finish on it by wet sanding it with 1500/2000/2500 using the brown Johnson's paste wax or J-Wax as a lubricant instead of water. I finished up by removing the slurry with denatured alcohol,and going back over it with a dry,fresh 3000 grit 3M Trizac sponge. I used Renaissance wax to finish. Tommy D.

how do they fake carbon fiber?

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Please tell us more about these $80 CF shafts Tommy. I have seen them for sale so cheap and figured they were plastic CF decal garbage, not a true CF tube / blank. Curious about your thoughts on material, construction, taper, weight etc whatever you got appreciated.

Cheers,
-Kat,

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using fiberglass cloth, products can look just like CF if dyed properly. I'm sure many people could not tell the difference if they don't have previous experience with both.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I cut one of those apart. It’s a coating over wood. Maybe carbon-laced paint. I could see why wet sanding would work.

Attachments

• A59077A6-BF62-4CBE-9939-06015D0DBE27.jpeg
    A59077A6-BF62-4CBE-9939-06015D0DBE27.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 200

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know if it can be done? Got some super glue on mine. It is not laminated so I think it can be sanded a little.
don't sand it... use finger nail polish remover (100% acetone), it will break down the glue*.

you might need to apply a small amount with a cuetip and let it stay on for a 30 to 60 seconds and then

rub the dried glue with a paper towel, and you may need to reapply a few times so it removes a little at a time.

*if the glue is "hard" dried on already it might not work but worth trying

once finished use 70-90% rubbing alcohol to clean the shaft