Santa Monica House of Billiards being sold?

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He never misses an opportunity to show his table. The same picture is posted about 85 times throughout the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He never misses an opportunity to show his table. The same picture is posted about 85 times throughout the forums.

Just ignored you. Reciprocate for your own sanity.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Rex worked really hard on his table and his room. He did most of the restoration himself. He has every right to be proud of it and show it. There are quite a few member's turn over on AZ - it's not a static group. I've seen it a few times, asked him to send me his pocket specs, and he was very cooperative.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with Rex showing his home setup whenever, and as often as he cares to for whatever variety of reasons.

In the 1980's when I formerly lived in an *extremely* rural (and beautiful) area of New England -- nearest NE room was 105 miles away -- on a lark I mentioned my new home table setup in a 3-line ad in the regional newspaper to see if there was a "more than beer-bar" cohort of skilled (and skill-seeking) regional players. I eventually had a group of very trustworthy local regulars to practice with, and share knowledge with -- all entirely resulting from the ad and subsequent word of mouth.

If the Internet and pool forums existed in their present form I would have certainly availed myself of *cyber-easy* photo-accompanied opportunities to reach pool practice partners similarly devoted to the sport and mutually elevating our skills . . . especially with plenty of 14.1 mixed in with the 9-ball sessions.

Arnaldo

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with Rex showing his home setup whenever, and as often as he cares to for whatever variety of reasons.

In the 1980's when I formerly lived in an *extremely* rural (and beautiful) area of New England -- nearest NE room was 105 miles away -- on a lark I mentioned my new home table setup in a 3-line ad in the regional newspaper to see if there was a "more than beer-bar" cohort of skilled (and skill-seeking) regional players. I eventually had a group of very trustworthy local regulars to practice with, and share knowledge with -- all entirely resulting from the ad and subsequent word of mouth.

If the Internet and pool forums existed in their present form I would have certainly availed myself of *cyber-easy* photo-accompanied opportunities to reach pool practice partners similarly devoted to the sport and mutually elevating our skills . . . especially with plenty of 14.1 mixed in with the 9-ball sessions.

Arnaldo

Absolutely! Self promotion is today’s norm for those that need it. It was a nice table the first time a viewed it and it’s still a nice table. Looking forward to seeing it more.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.
CC: Your sig line (a very fine one) excellently parallels an unusually beautiful and meaningful statement by Mosconi during a mid-40's news interview:

"Pool is physics learned by trial and error."

Arnaldo

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are too tense!

Your brain is 2/10’s the size of a normal brain!

Lighten up Francis. It’s my 53rd today. I love fucking with guys. So easily triggered. I know exactly what to say to set your azz monkeys off. I wish you could see the smiles and laughs you give me. Today a new set of Arcos II and a new TAD to add to the other 4. Do you really think you are going to effect my mood?

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are too tense!

Your brain is 2/10’s the size of a normal brain!

Lighten up Francis. It’s my 53rd today. I love fucking with guys. So easily triggered. I know exactly what to say to set your azz monkeys off. I wish you could see the smiles and laughs you give me. Today a new set of Arcos II and a new TAD to add to the other 4. Do you really think you are going to effect my mood?

LOL.

All those words to justify being a douche? Ok.

Happy Birthday.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

what's that scene from "Meet the Fockers"...

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I requested to join that Facebook group several weeks ago but haven't received an acceptance or reply :(

I shot for a while at the Cue Ball today and asked the woman at the front counter about a Sunday tournament and she said that she didn't think there was a tournament any more- although I don't think she understood me.

Do you know if the Sunday tournaments have re-started?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I requested to join that Facebook group several weeks ago but haven't received an acceptance or reply :(

I shot for a while at the Cue Ball today and asked the woman at the front counter about a Sunday tournament and she said that she didn't think there was a tournament any more- although I don't think she understood me.

Do you know if the Sunday tournaments have re-started?
I do not believe they have. Keep checking the Facebook group for postings. Now that everything is technically at 100% capacity, leagues and tournaments will probably start happening again soon.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott our 1st lesson was there. Way back then you were driving the Lincoln with the "RackEm" license plates. I had always thought it was a great room, especially with all of the 1 Hole players. Plus a liquor license. One Pocket Richie and Wayne Pullen. I only know of 2 rooms open for sure in all of L.A. County. Mr. Lucky's in Lawndale (correct Jay?) and Family Billiards in Lakewood/Long Beach area which is now call "Good Times" and where several players from the old venerable Hard Times now hang out. Much, much smaller room. Less than a handful of rooms for over 10 million people. Jay is much more optimistic about pool rooms reappearing than I am. The square footage value of the old Hard Times would now be between 8 to 15 million dollars. When I moved from Belmont Shore in Long Beach to Murrieta the approx cost of property in the Shore was $850 t0 1100 per square foot and prices and equity just keep escalating. Appreciation out her in the boonies, where we came for health reasons only, was 16.75% last year. Thank God our 55 & over community is well maintained including the pool and clubhouse which has 2 Brunswicks covered in Simonis. Pockets are buckets but with the hard leather backings plus I have been told that the pocket angles are improperly cut, consequently they play harder than one would think. Also because age diminishes our physical attributes we probably need 5" pockets. My isolation in a 55 & over community and a nice pool room and a large swimming pool 75 yards from my front door and HOA dues under $70.00 I feel damn lucky to have gotten this Pandemic as well as I did. I feel fortunate to have experienced pool and its wild culture when I did and I don't expect to see it return during my lifetime to those heights as it will take real estate prices to drop dramatically and something of a stimulating injection such as the movie "the Hustler" provided. Sorry to paint such a bleak picture but is just what one old man sees at this time.

Scott hope that you and Pattie-Patty(?) are doing well. Let's catch up via e-mail ASAP.
Best to You Both,
G, "Charlie" Brown
CB...I remember! I gave many lessons in HOB over the years. I still have the RAKM UP license plates...they're just FL plates now!...and I downsized to a Mazda CX5. You are lucky to have your poolroom where you live...and I've enjoyed playing with you there a few times. Patti is doing pretty well, after two years and 7 surgeries on her hip. We just returned from a 6 week road trip...made it as far west as Vegas. First one in 18 months! Felt good to get back on the road teaching! Give our best to your lovely bride! My email is still the same...poolology@aol.com

Scott Lee