Satin butt question

iksnom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi experts,

Hope someone can confirm this for me...

Im looking to get a used shaft for my satin. Someone has offered to sell his but when Ive tried it on my satin, I noticed the shaft diameter ( at the joint) is bigger, about 0.75mm than of the butt. He said the shaft came from a 6 pointer.

My question is are satin butts thinner than the 6/9 pointer?

Thanks in advance.
Iksnom

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shaft

If you feel you got a good deal on the shaft - just have a reputable maker cut it down to your joint size. Either way you win. It will be custom fitted and perfect. That's a win in my book. You are lucky. If it had been smaller than the forearm end of the joint - it would be a sadder story.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like the shaft diameter it just a bit proud of the joint diameter due to a layer a of finish. If it bugs you, any competent repairman with a lathe and a light bit of sanding can take the finish off to match your shaft diameter. I doubt you would even need to remove the wood, but that's only based off your description.

"Satin" refers to a type of finish only. If the shaft is from the same maker, it shouldn't matter how many points the cue has- the joint diameter should remain the same. Pics always help if you have further questions. Hope this info helps!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
.75MM difference ?
No finish is that thick.
Unless someone used counter-top finish on that cue .
ARE YOU SURE THAT IS A SW shaft ?

Looks like nobody paid attention.
Or I'm missing something.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have built j/ps for many SW cues , .829 , is pretty much standard if there is such a thing .

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on balance distribution. I just measured 2 that were handy. .830 and .835 Satin or gloss...Id have to think its the same # of coats, but not much buffing. Semi gloss clear?

iksnom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to confuse the others. I was referring to my SW pacifier.

Thanks for all your replies so far.

Ive taken a photo -

Is it possible that this is a SW knockoff shaft?

Thanks,
iksnom