Sawbone he loves pool. A funny story.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Several years ago I met a guy where I live who comes down to our pool room quite often to play, it was several years before I knew his age. One day about two years ago he came to me and ask how he could get better at pool. Our community library has a few basic pool DVD, and I recommended Jerry Briseth's DVD. He took out the DVD out of the library, started practicing and started playing better.

One day I saw Old Jerry as I use to call the guy, he is walking with an older gentleman I later found out was his soon who still practices medicine. He is a Professor of Endocrinology at some Teaching Hospital. The father is a retired Chiropractor. Medicine run is the family apparently the son who is also Jerry, or Jerry Jr. came down to celebrate dads birthday.

Sawbone's birthday is the end of the month, he still plays pool, can make a long shot on a 4.5 x 9.0, this February 28, or maybe it is the 29th he will be 98 years old.

I asked him once when he was 96 how come you lived so long Jerry, in his whit and humor, he said "too busy to check out". Now I kiddingly call him "KID" when I see he.

Hope many of us are still hitting balls at 98.
 
I too live in a retirement community and we have two guys in their 90s playing everyday for about three hours a day. We also have about four guys in their 80s. One of the 90 year olds we call “Eight Ball Johnny.” He was a welder for large earth moving machinery in his day. More importantly, to him, he was a national champion trap shooter for many years and is very proud of his daughter who is now sponsored by Winchester as a national level trap shooter. Eight Ball Johnny took up playing pool when he was in his 80s and he can run a table of 5 – 6 balls about once a week or so – that is why we can call him 8- ball Johnny.

This old guy has some of the neatest expressions, beginning with, “Well kiss old pearl,” when he sinks the 8- ball yet again. He is the first person I heard tell another player he was “luckier than a two pecker billy goat.”

When I was younger I used to feel sorry for the old guys. When you look into their faces you see a pair of 21 year old eyes looking out of some old man’s body. It seemed so sad. But now I am (at 67) one of the old guys and I can tell you from my perspective, it just keeps getting better. I call my wife the energizer bunny as she is constantly on the go in our very active retirement community. I know that we live an insular life with none of the cares, trials and tribulations of the younger generation.

Most of us would not want to go back and be 16 again, no car, girl troubles, smart ass kids, and the list goes on. It is much better to be an adult with all the fun (and problems of running the world).

Well, from where I sit now I would not want to be in my 40s again. Life is so much better from here. We are on permanent vacation, For the younger people I would suggest that you plan well for your retirement. It will be among the best of times in your life if you can keep your health and enough money to sustain your self. Life just gets better – Kiss ole Pearl.
 
Wish Sawbone's a VERY Happy Birthday for me. 98 is a pretty good number!
JoeyA
 
I too live in a retirement community and we have two guys in their 90s playing everyday for about three hours a day. We also have about four guys in their 80s. One of the 90 year olds we call “Eight Ball Johnny.” He was a welder for large earth moving machinery in his day. More importantly, to him, he was a national champion trap shooter for many years and is very proud of his daughter who is now sponsored by Winchester as a national level trap shooter. Eight Ball Johnny took up playing pool when he was in his 80s and he can run a table of 5 – 6 balls about once a week or so – that is why we can call him 8- ball Johnny.

This old guy has some of the neatest expressions, beginning with, “Well kiss old pearl,” when he sinks the 8- ball yet again. He is the first person I heard tell another player he was “luckier than a two pecker billy goat.”

When I was younger I used to feel sorry for the old guys. When you look into their faces you see a pair of 21 year old eyes looking out of some old man’s body. It seemed so sad. But now I am (at 67) one of the old guys and I can tell you from my perspective, it just keeps getting better. I call my wife the energizer bunny as she is constantly on the go in our very active retirement community. I know that we live an insular life with none of the cares, trials and tribulations of the younger generation.

Most of us would not want to go back and be 16 again, no car, girl troubles, smart ass kids, and the list goes on. It is much better to be an adult with all the fun (and problems of running the world).

Well, from where I sit now I would not want to be in my 40s again. Life is so much better from here. We are on permanent vacation, For the younger people I would suggest that you plan well for your retirement. It will be among the best of times in your life if you can keep your health and enough money to sustain your self. Life just gets better – Kiss ole Pearl.

JoeW that is an inspirational post for me because I am.....getting older myself;). Thanks.
 
I too am wintering in a retirement community. Since all I really care about is playing pool it's great. I can play as much as I want everyday. There are other guys here too that play a lot of pool, skill levels vary from pretty good to pure banger. We have an older player probably in his late 70's that has one of the best stokes I have ever seen, he began as a snooker champion in England in his teens before moving to America. He now plays a lot of one hole and believe me he is a real challenge. Unfortunately his biggest problem is short term memory and occasionally he forgets which pocket is his. Great thing about pool is that you can continue to play well into your "golden years"
 
Have not seen Sawbone this week, but did see Jerry Briesath yesterday, ( he Winters in AZ) told him about Sawbone, and Jerry DVD. Jerry thought that was too cool.
 
Back
Top