Scenario and rule ??

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes , per the BCA rules. The BCA rules can be somewhat ambiguous and , they shouldn't be.
House rules are probably the clearest, everybody plays by the same local rules , whether they're correct or not.
What we've been discussing wouldn't fly in a lot of rooms.
The first part of rule 38 is clear. The Exception just confuses the whole rule IMHO.
That is an old rule set. The rules have been rewritten since then.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When in Rome.
How is that scenario played out in national or world tournaments ?
Any ball that is outside the kitchen is playable directly. Outside = the center is on or below the headstring. A ball that is in the kitchen is playable if the center of the cue ball crosses the headstring before contacting the object ball.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A ball that is in the kitchen is playable if the center of the cue ball crosses the headstring before contacting the object ball.

Interesting. Then the 4 ball (from your diagram) could legally be cut into the left head pocket quite easily with the CB shot from the kitchen (toward the right side rail).That shot would never have occurred to me.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Then the 4 ball (from your diagram) could legally be cut into the left head pocket quite easily with the CB shot from the kitchen (toward the right side rail).That shot would never have occurred to me.
That shot is legal under WSR but not legal by CSI rules. I believe that CSI rules require the cue ball to contact a rail outside the kitchen first if the first ball it hits is in the cushion.

Besides the back-cut an obvious shot where there is a difference between the rule sets is if you play a swerve or masse shot out of the kitchen and then back in to hit a ball for a safe or make a ball hanging in the pocket. Those are allowed under WSR but not under CSI.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess 99% of (traditional) 14.1 players, if queried, would report they have always adhered to the CSI version (cushion contact outside the kitchen required before legal first contact with any ball inside the kitchen), and any OB ruled ‘out’ is in play. Much simpler, since the only measurement/ruling needed is the starting ball-base position(s).

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would guess 99% of (traditional) 14.1 players, if queried, would report they have always adhered to the CSI version (cushion contact outside the kitchen required before legal first contact with any ball inside the kitchen), and any OB ruled ‘out’ is in play. Much simpler, since the only measurement/ruling needed is the starting ball-base position(s).
Even under the CSI rule I think there is a reffing problem. If you want to return the cue ball to the end rail while taking a foul at 14.1, one way is to shoot nearly along the headstring to hit a spot outside the headstring and then spin back into the kitchen. The ref has to judge whether the cue ball touches the side cushion outside the kitchen. But generally the CSI rule is easier to apply.