Scheduling conflict- Matchroom Hanoi Open and Reyes Cup clash with Predator World 8-Ball Championship

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s fun looking at the history. I welcome corrections.

It’s also important to highlight the relationship between WPBSA and Matchroom. Matchroom owns 51% of World Snooker Tour and WPBSA owns 26%. Barry Hearn was once briefly the chairman of the WPBSA. After him Jason Ferguson, a close collaborator with Hearn, has since been the chairman. So they established a completely intertwined relationship where both entities are quite unified and most importantly separate from the IBSF / WCBS / IOC. The WPBSA vice chairman is Nigel Mawer.

Now imagine you’re Matchroom and you want to recreate that outcome with darts. You get to start green field. You create the Darts Regulation Authority with Nigel Mawer as the chairperson. Life is pretty easy there because there is not a IOC recognized body for Darts to contend with.

Now imagine you’re Matchroom and you want to recreate that outcome with pool. You’re ready to abandon the WPA / WCBS / IOC. You know you can start green field again because you’ve done it before. You create the Pool Regulation Authority with (you guessed it) Nigel Mawer as the chairperson.
He who has the money, writes the checks.
He who writes the checks, has the power.
He who has the power, has the money.
-Frank Peretti, The Oath

MR is a well-oiled machine. Their taking control of pro pool in such a short amount of time is nothing if not impressive.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is complete BS. You got to take a breath and get off those Matchroom nuts.
IMG_1111.jpeg

11 major events all of the world with 90% of them in arenas with complex setups. Looking like they’re likely to still add more. Many with broadcast agreements all over the world.

IMG_1112.jpeg

Whose nuts are bigger than theirs right now in pool? WPA? Predator? Accustats? Turning Stone? The closest honestly is probably Ultimate Pool. And they sure aren’t doing any date protection agreements with any Olympic chartered federations.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great representation, no doubt.

I wonder how many on that list will play scottish, uk, WPC, Dubai open, Lushan Open, China Open, Helsinki Open, Euro open, etc.

I am not trying to factor in sponsorships, because I have no idea, but how much would Danny Olson have to make each tourney to at least break even. Against loaded fields full of killers?

My point is limited tourneys in the States ain't gonna likely bother SVB, but Robert Hart, Paul Song?
Rob Hart could buy and sell all the rest of them ten times over! ;)

Reactions: JAM

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I see the WPA and Predator moved the world 8 ball championship to accommodate Matchroom. Hopefully everyone can play nice in the future
That's good news for all. My educated guess is that they were influenced by SVB's statement that he, despite being defending champion, did not intend to play in the World 8-ball if it coincided with the Hanoi Open.

Well done, WPA, for rescheduling the World 8-ball, enabling the top pros to play in both events.

jbart65

Good to see a company or organization not be unreasonably stubborn as it so often the case.

Still, Predator should have known better from the start, even if the WPA didn't.

SVB has now fired several shots over the bow of the WPA in its fight with Matchroom. Good to see him using his clout to get the Predator/WPA do what is best for the players.

The players need an unofficial spokesman of sorts, and SVB is filling the bill. Niels Feijin and Darrel Appleton are doing the same. Kudos.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see the WPA and Predator moved the world 8 ball championship to accommodate Matchroom. Hopefully everyone can play nice in the future

that's great. a world championship without the defending champion wouldn't look right. but i wonder why they choose these odd host nations rather than pool hotbeds.. i hope it doesn't deter the players from going

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
that's great. a world championship without the defending champion wouldn't look right. but i wonder why they choose these odd host nations rather than pool hotbeds.. i hope it doesn't deter the players from going
Yes, very well said.

There is a tricky tradeoff in play here. Taking major events to new countries helps grow the game in those countries by stimulating interest. This practice, in turn, should help the pro game gain new fans, but as you note, in the short-term, participants and potential attendees can be inconvenienced if events are made less accessible to them.

In short, it's a calculated gamble, but my inclination is to applaud Predator for taking a major pool event to New Zealand.

Last edited: