Schmelke purple heart break cue review

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the key features are
  1. The whole cue butt and shaft are made from purple heart wood (very dense). https://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/schmelke/schmelke_break--all-purpleheart.htm
  2. This cue was offered with a white butt cap and joint (phenolic style) with gold rings.
  3. You can custom order a version of this cue any way you would like.
  4. This cue is was advertised adjustable 18-21 oz (mine is 19.5).
  5. The shaft comes 13.5 mm with a phenolic tip ferule combo.
  6. This cue was advertised for $169.00 (free shipping) and made it to my door in four days.
Takeaways
  • The material, fit finish and value (what you are getting for your money) is a bargain to say the least. MADE IN THE U.S.A
  • Most cues at this price point are painted mystery wood (not purple heart or bocote wood) from over seas.
  • I purchased mine from Billiard Warehouse. They answered any and all questions by email quickly. A+
Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-07 6.28.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-07 6.28.14 PM.png
    532.1 KB · Views: 390

terpdad

Registered
Other than being a good value, what do you think of it? How does it break? Can you feel/see a difference between the PH shaft & a maple shaft?

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than being a good value, what do you think of it? How does it break? Can you feel/see a difference between the PH shaft & a maple shaft?

So the cue breaks great! I did not give that info because it's so subjective. The purple heart shaft is tapered nicely and feels high quality in my hands.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the cue breaks great! I did not give that info because it's so subjective. The purple heart shaft is tapered nicely and feels high quality in my hands.
Then your post is not a review, rather it's an advertisement for Schmelke. A book review, a movie review, any review is by nature subjective because it consists of the author's opinion of the thing under review.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then your post is not a review, rather it's an advertisement for Schmelke. A book review, a movie review, any review is by nature subjective because it consists of the author's opinion of the thing under review.

No. I reviewed the product with an accurate description. A quality, affordable American made cue.

I have added several reviews to contribute to this forum. Some very detailed and some very short. If you have any additional questions about what I purchased just ask me.

If you would like to discount what I have written or explain to me what words mean please feel free to PM me.

Or just contribute something of value yourself.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke Break Cue. This break cue features the classic look of a reverse Sneaky Pete with a maple handle and points and purple heart forearm and shaft. The joint is 3/8x10 wood to wood. There is a quick release jump break conversion in the forearm that is ideal for jumping. This jump / break cue comes with an extra stiff 13.5 mm Laminated Shaft with a rock hard phenolic tip.

Tried to find pic....."reverse Sneaky Pete with a maple handle and points and purple heart forearm and shaft."

That sounds really neat.
On linked website, cue shown with above verbiage is a straight single piece of PH with joint. (no points, no maple)

Also, shaft does not appear laminated.

nothing wrong with any of above, but it is confusing.

What did you get and what does it look like?

thanks!
smt

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried to find pic....."reverse Sneaky Pete with a maple handle and points and purple heart forearm and shaft."

That sounds really neat.
On linked website, cue shown with above verbiage is a straight single piece of PH with joint. (no points, no maple)

Also, shaft does not appear laminated.

nothing wrong with any of above, but it is confusing.

What did you get and what does it look like?

thanks!
smt

I got the all purple heart butt and shaft, with white phenolic joint and butt cap (with gold rings at the joint). Billiard warehouse will have it made as a jump/break for $40 additional if you are willing to wait.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got the all purple heart butt and shaft, with white phenolic joint and butt cap (with gold rings at the joint). Billiard warehouse will have it made as a jump/break for $40 additional if you are willing to wait.

Email Billiard warehouse for options. They are great to work with.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ordered a Schmelke break cue through Billiard Warehouse a few years back. I wanted to try something lighter than whatever I was using. For some reason I bought it in "Blueberry" and added the stainless joint for $20. It's 18.5 oz with a 13.5mm tip and was $119 shipped. I remember it being very solid. It looks like this but with the ss joint. I'm going to throw it in my case and see how I break with it this week.

Attachments

• Schmelke.jpg
    Schmelke.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 275

chenjy9

I ordered a Schmelke break cue through Billiard Warehouse a few years back. I wanted to try something lighter than whatever I was using. For some reason I bought it in "Blueberry" and added the stainless joint for $20. It's 18.5 oz with a 13.5mm tip and was $119 shipped. I remember it being very solid. It looks like this but with the ss joint. I'm going to throw it in my case and see how I break with it this week.
How many Smurfs died for that break cue? :eek:🤣

sonoman

Here are some user details for the Schmelke purple heart break cue with white phenolic butt cap, white phenolic joint with brass rings and a brown phenolic ferrule and brown phenolic tip. Greg at Billiard Warehouse took my order and had Schmelke drop ship it because he did not have it in stock. It took 5 days to arrive, cost $169.00 total, no shipping charge if order is over $100.00. So as usual I check all the specs when I get a new cue.
I ordered a 19oz. the butt weighted 13.8 oz, the shaft 4.9 oz. total 18.7oz balance at 20.5 inches. The shaft at the ferrule measured 13.6mm. The cue looks good, fit and finish are good. I checked straightness by putting butt on table with shaft and joint hanging over the long rail. No wobble on the tip when rolling the cue. After cleaning the rubber bumper and burnishing and putting cue silk on the shaft I tried it out. The hit was solid and crisp. It felt good to me, much better than the JandJ jump/break combo cue I have been breaking with for 10 years. I have done business with David Schmelke for several years. He has taken back a couple of shafts I did not like the feel of with no hesitation or questions. If you don't like something he gives a refund. He also lets me pick butt cap, joint and ferrule material and hand picks shafts that match my request for weight and dense straight growth rings. I am very happy with my purchase and can recommend Schmelke and Billiard Warehouse. I like the fact that Schmelke is made in the USA too.

slim123

So the key features are
  1. The whole cue butt and shaft are made from purple heart wood (very dense). https://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/schmelke/schmelke_break--all-purpleheart.htm
  2. This cue was offered with a white butt cap and joint (phenolic style) with gold rings.
  3. You can custom order a version of this cue any way you would like.
  4. This cue is was advertised adjustable 18-21 oz (mine is 19.5).
  5. The shaft comes 13.5 mm with a phenolic tip ferule combo.
  6. This cue was advertised for $169.00 (free shipping) and made it to my door in four days.
Takeaways
  • The material, fit finish and value (what you are getting for your money) is a bargain to say the least. MADE IN THE U.S.A
  • Most cues at this price point are painted mystery wood (not purple heart or bocote wood) from over seas.
  • I purchased mine from Billiard Warehouse. They answered any and all questions by email quickly. A+
Cheers!
Payment sent pay pal my info was sent to you in a pm address etc
thank you
mark

DevilDestructor

Registered
Almost a year ago I ordered a reverse sneaky maple+PH break cue with a PH shaft for my wife through billiardwarehouse. At that time the price was $159 shipped. It looks pretty, flawless, and breaks great. The only thing is I asked for 19oz but it came 19.5oz. i asked for 14mm tip but it is close to 14.20mm that is BCA illegal but who cares. Another small issue is the balance point. Due to the PH shaft and forearm, its balance point is a bit too forward.

I ordered another custom break cue for me directly from Schmelke. This time I replaced maple with Bocote handle hoping it would bring the balance point little bit closer to the grip. I also requested many changes in specs: handle diameter 1.29" and joint diameter 0.880", brown phenolic, QR joint pin, etc. This cue turned out great but the balance point was still too much forward. I think to fix the balance point is a personal preference and to make it more likable for my test, I should choose lighter wood for forearm. Next time I may order Regular purpleheart + mape sneaky with purpleheart shaft.

Recently I ordered another custom playing cue from them for my wife. This time I got cocobolo paired up with curly torrified maple forearm and Bocote trims. It looks great in pics. Still waiting to receive it. Overall Schmelke is a great maker to deal with. Lately they have been a bit more flexible with customization requests, but they can't entertain all kinds of customization requests because of their production style factory set up. It's certainly the best bangs for your bucks. Not to forget it's made in USA as well.

Attachments

• 135578997_10159282217426514_697682282042947242_n.jpg
    135578997_10159282217426514_697682282042947242_n.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 217190045_10159781639461514_6040070841400755173_n.jpg
    217190045_10159781639461514_6040070841400755173_n.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 392
  • 243953767_10158336822396497_6126150233472650520_n.jpg
    243953767_10158336822396497_6126150233472650520_n.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 460