Schmelke...

norest

Registered
Are they really selling a shaft without a tip? Not even a LePro? Even the cheapest imports come with a tip, no matter how horrible they are.
From what I can see, there is no way to order the shaft without the tip. When you select the $340 shaft for purchase, a drop-down menu appears with tip options. The cheapest option is $25. There is no way to check out without selecting a tip and paying the additional fee. This is different from other Schmelke items on the same website. Other shafts and cues have a basic tip option which says "no charge" in the similar drop-down menu. In those instances the price only goes up if a higher priced tip is selected. For continuity, they should make the shaft price $365 since there is no way to buy it any cheaper.

Last edited:

norest

Registered
I have heard mixed reviews on Schmelke carbons from the same dealer at different times. Not sure if there have been different manufacturers, versions, etc. but I heard the Ricohets are nice. I'm not sure how they would compare to any of the ones some of our fellow AZB-ers make or other smaller company offerings like J&J's Black Arrow, the Snapshot Ion (on eBay), Wheat State, etc.

Also, Seybert's lets you upgrade your shaft on several manufacturers, Predator & Pechauer for sure, maybe others.
Thanks for the reply on the Ricochet, I hadn't heard any info at all up to this point. The first four or five carbon fiber shafts had quite a bit of information and review info on here. There are lots of new comers with no info at all. I have only been on A-Z for a couple years now. One thing I have noticed.. Any mention of an import product, a Meucci product, Dale Perry, Cyclop Balls, or any version of a carbon fiber shaft will bring out attack dogs. It's gotten completely ridiculous.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 type of carbon fiber shaft exist, carbon wound filaments tube and roll wrapped carbon tube, Revo and Cynergy are wound filaments type, the top quality by a way. Mostly all others are roll wrapped, the cost of their fabrication is low. the best is to buy a revo or cyrnergy than a roll wrapped at 300$

norest

Registered
2 type of carbon fiber shaft exist, carbon wound filaments tube and roll wrapped carbon tube, Revo and Cynergy are wound filaments type, the top quality by a way. Mostly all others are roll wrapped, the cost of their fabrication is low. the best is to buy a revo or cyrnergy than a roll wrapped at 300$
Do you happen to know if the Jacoby Black is roll or wound?

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you happen to know if the Jacoby Black is roll or wound?
I don't know for the Jacoby, but probably roll wrapped, Mezz are roll wrapped too but their carbon fiber fabric joints are made with high technology process. Wound filaments process need very expensive installation production line.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If you are unhappy but unwilling to return or ask the vendor to correct or even let them know of the issue then I'm not clear what's happening here.

WTF is a "right report"?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ordered 2 Schmelke with flat laminated 3/8-10, the shafts are really on the whippy side at 13MM but well finished and the pins joints are significantly offset in the butts, butts are well finished too but all in all I'm deceived of these 2 cues.
I just want to be clear on what you mean by "offset". Are you saying the pin is not centered in the butt, or that the diameter of the joint collar is not what you requested?

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just want to be clear on what you mean by "offset". Are you saying the pin is not centered in the butt, or that the diameter of the joint collar is not what you requested?
The pin is offset and the butt and shaft have been sanded screwed together, if I unscrew the shaft half revolution they are misaligned and not just a couple of milliemes, the same thing that i screw a perfect shaft they are misaligned. I bought that to fit a carbon fiber shaft in future. I will make a gift with that.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pin is offset and the butt and shaft have been sanded screwed together, if I unscrew the shaft half revolution they are misaligned and not just a couple of milliemes, the same thing that i screw a perfect shaft they are misaligned. I bought that to fit a carbon fiber shaft in future. I will make a gift with that.
Wow, how do you get a hole offset like that in a lathe? I've had a few Schmelkes and have always used other shafts with them. I have not had that issue, but I can certainly understand why you are disappointed in them.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I had the exact same experience with my 2 Schmelke customs. The pin was definitely offset from center making it impossible for an aftermarket shaft to line up properly. That being said, I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with my cues and I love them both. The factory shafts line up perfectly and they both hit nice. Dollar for dollar Schmelke are tough to beat.

sonoman

I have 3 Schmelke cues with radial joints. I have put Josey, Nitti, and a Muller laminated shaft on each of them and they fit perfectly. I also just purchased a Schmelke Purple Heart break cue with a 3/8x10 joint and it is perfect too.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
3 Schmelke's here. 2 with Uniloc's . There is a slight lip (I can live with) when using aftermarket shafts. Nice cues. I refinished the butt for bumperless look

Attachments

• IMG_6896.jpeg
    IMG_6896.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just give the Schmelke to somebody needing a cue and be done with it if you ain't gonna contact Schmelke,
unless you just enjoy the thought of a bad fitting cue bouncing around in your skull all the time.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post is from january, I have always these 2 cues and the subject is closed for me. But be sure that Schmelke have not the right method to make and fit their joints.

It skid

I had the exact same experience with my 2 Schmelke customs. The pin was definitely offset from center making it impossible for an aftermarket shaft to line up properly. That being said, I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with my cues and I love them both. The factory shafts line up perfectly and they both hit nice. Dollar for dollar Schmelke are tough to beat.

I had a similar experience. When screwing in the shaft, the last few threads feel like they are cross-threading.

Minnesota Phat

I have a similar issue - the original shaft fits fine, but the lip of the aftermarket shaft is noticeably off to one side. I have another Schmelke (break cue), and on that one the aftermarket shaft fits straight.

The playing cue rolls straight with the aftermarket shaft when viewed from the top, but not when viewed from the side/looking underneath - the imperfect joint fit has me searching for another cue, even though I actually really like the Schmelke playing cue. I would swap it for the same cue with a better-aligned pin, if I could.

[Edit: Upon further review, the shaft fits my break cue perfectly, but then it wobbles when rolled]

[Edit two: Maybe it wobbles on the break cue because the break cue's shaft has a break taper?]

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Read this, thought about it, ordered a new shaft from Schmelke anyway.
Just a plane shaft w/ 3/8X10 wood to wood flat joint 1/2" Tomahawk
furruel @ 13mm with a Triangle tip. Popped it outta the box at the PO and
asked the young Lady to weigh it for me, 4.0 oz.. Got it home and it screwed
right on. I'd given Dave @ Schmelke the joint dia. size and it's within 0.5 mm
of a perfect fit. Zero problems with center being where it should be. Shoots
well enough to be new Primary cue. By-the-way it leads a Mueller Bacote SP
from back when ... I be happy camper indeed.

hank