schon butt cap?

If you buy a used butt cap, and mount it, it is going to need turned, sanded, and finished if it is going to match up perfectly.

Very rarely do we see such parts for sale. They would be from a broken cue. And then, they were turned on that exact cue when it was made. They were perfectly matched on a lathe.

How could it end up? Hard to say. Hard to believe it would be as perfect as a Schön should be.

If I were serious about such a project, I would be talking to Schön.

They could replace the butt cap, if they were willing, or make an entirely brand new cue to suit your needs.

I see you are in Germany, which adds some complications.

If you have a butt cap made and engraved by anyone other than Schön, it is a counterfeit. Honest tradesmen would refuse to do it. If you put a used butt cap on, it is a frankencue.

It's your cue, do whatever you damn well please with it. But I think your adventure could easily be a misadventure.

Personally, I have swapped a few butt caps. But not on anything of any brand significance, and certainly not putting a makers mark on one.
 
@Chopdoc
@Michael Webb
I completely agree with you on every point. However, I would only do it for myself because I don't like the black butt cap. Naturally, I would keep the black one and restore the cue to its original condition if I were to sell it. They are an SL 13 and an STL 13. If I were to send the cues to Schön, it would be disproportionately expensive, and—more importantly—customs would confiscate them, meaning they would be lost forever.
 
1000077714.jpg

1000077715.jpg
 
Schon is about a 3 hr drive from me, but near our family we visit and I stop in now and then for this and that. A few yrs back I cracked the butt cap on one of my Schon's, a beautiful SP I had purchased a couple years before. I was spinning around by my house table and it contacted a stand up table. I was sick as I'm really careful with my cues and none of them have a mark on them. A few weeks later we were going to visit family so I stopped at Schon on a Friday morning to drop it off to get fixed.
Had a good talk with the guy that designed it, it was a no wrap, and when telling him I was in town for the weekend, he looked at me and said, I hope you don't need it done this afternoon. I laughed and said no, but just wanted the cap to match the original in color and have the SP markings.
Monday morning we get a call from Schon as we were driving home and the guy said my cue was done as he rushed it in case I was still in town. We were too far away to turn around so I had them ship it.
Fantastic service, cap was perfect in color and everything. $125 very reasonable all considered.
 
😍😍😍
If it's no big thing, you can measure the diameter.
But it's not that important. I would like to buy it from you.
Thank you very much in advance 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Diameter where it would meet your cue is 1.259 in.. The hole diameter is .74 and it’s .355 deep. Length is 1.23. The cap is not perfect but it’s very usable. I’ve had it for 25 years from a cue that the forearm warped.

Message me your shipping address and I’ll see how much to ship. If it’s reasonable, I don’t need any $$.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 7
Here's an option.
If you know someone who does lasar engraving
And is GOOD AT IT,
That could work.
Delrin is a bit tricky to engrave, melts quite easily, but it's doable if you do multiple passes and if it's a white buttcap use a marker just to get a bit more contrast, the laser isn't a huge fan of white reflective surfaces.
 
Back
Top