Scorekeeping for 14.1

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I agree with the OP on the proper protocols, to me its part of the etiquette of pool.

I prefer to use a house cue when moving the beads, does anyone else do this? I'm paranoid about damaging my shaft.

I always use a house cue or bridge cue to move the beads .... and, I still
prefer the old style hanging beads for scoring 14.1

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Lol....

I'm sorry to disagree with you Mike, but your beads are quite defective. Whenever we play, the beads on my side appear to stick, while yours slide over nicely. Yep, definitely a problem with the beads.

:D

LOL........ That is really funny.
I have notice that the beads on your side are starting to move better each time that you come over. It's about that time..... isn't it? I will even spray a little WD-40 on your side of the wire...... LOL
Come on Buddy.... I'm waiting.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a good score sheet for inning by inning score keeping. I guess I could make one of my own with Exell but i wonder if there is a standard one in use.

Dave Nelson

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I have this app and another on my iPhone but haven't used either of them yet. I understand it's quite a drain on cell phone batteries. Don't have an iPad.

You can buy an external battery for smartphones for $20-$30.

To me, it's invaluable. Primarily because my smartphone is a battery pig, but also because I'm not always in a position to charge my phone before going out for the night. The external battery isn't any bigger than the phone itself, I set the phone on top of it, plug it in, and it tops off the phones battery quite nicely. The model I have isn't one of the fancier models, and I can get two phone charges from it before it needs recharging itself. It resides in the long pocket of my cue case...

On the topic of discussion, as a newbie to 14.1, I have found that keeping score is challenging. There aren't any beads to be found in our part of the world, and only one room has tables with the scoring wheels built in. (I don't play there except for 8/9-ball league nights, due to it's cost and the condition of said tables.)

We keep score on a piece of paper. We also have small chalk boards on the wall behind each table, but I prefer to not have to stay standing the whole game, between playing and scoring.

I am quite sure I don't understand the protocol and procedure for scoring 14.1. Does the shooter keep track of his own, and then add them to the beads/wheels, or is it the sitting players responsibility? If it's the shooter himself, doesn't that require your attention to be in two distinct different "modes", playing and keeping track?

Thanks for your patience with the newbie. I think I'm gonna investigate the smartphone app, though the one guy I play with will very likely not be open to using it...

nashville14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
beads vs paper

one + for beads is that you can look at any time without being obvious. if you had to walk over to the counter, clipboard, iphone or whatever, you might give your opponent the idea you are checking up on him.
the big, easy to see flip over numbers used in some tournaments sound nice too, visible at a glance from all over the room. but maybe the beads are really good once we all learn the best way to use them from the more experienced players. however i like my paper system because it includes:

balls on table for incoming player

a column for a player to make notes to himself about the reason for run ending miss, which is important only to players looking to improve their game.
jr

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am quite sure I don't understand the protocol and procedure for scoring 14.1. Does the shooter keep track of his own, and then add them to the beads/wheels, or is it the sitting players responsibility? If it's the shooter himself, doesn't that require your attention to be in two distinct different "modes", playing and keeping track?

Thanks for your patience with the newbie. I think I'm gonna investigate the smartphone app, though the one guy I play with will very likely not be open to using it...

In my experience each player keeps his own score, with the opponent also keeping track but not putting the scores up except for his own. It's just good policy to keep track of both scores to avoid mix-ups/cheating. I've encountered both:rolleyes:

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today I use Ipad scoring app "Billiards Buddy" and love it.

-Dennis in MN

The reason I like the Ipad Billiards Buddy is that I play pool without my glasses, but to record scores on a scoresheet (small print usually) I need to put my glasses back on. Then to return to table it takes a moment for my eyes to refocus. The screen on Billiards Buddy is large enough that I do not have to put my glasses back on to record scores. It also calculates balls per inning, number of fouls safties etc in a nice report.

-Dennis in MN