Segmented trim rings?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
This is probably a stupid question. I see Atlas, Prather and others have solid pre-formed trim rings of various colors and materials. But I haven't seen anyone selling segmented rings (a trim ring with an alternating wood pattern). Does everyone just make these via cnc or with an indexing lathe? Or manually glue up blanks for slicing?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Check out Bob's video here:

Probably the easiest way to do them.... not the only way though. :)
Thanks. For those of us without a CNC lathe, do any of the cue supply stores sell blanks or slices? Like Bob shows at the end of his video?

1627527948032.png

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Most all cue makers learn how to make custom segmented rings soon after undertaking the craft.
You really dont need a CNC lathe or mill to do these.
Chris Hightowers Cue lathes have a router attachment that does this job.
Unique Products Taper-Shaper machine does a great job making these also.
You could make some sort of a holding jig and do them on a router table as well.

Making the billet is the easyer part of the process ... slicing the rings from it is a bit tougher.

JC

Coos Cues
Without the wood you make the segments out of available to compliment with matching outer rings you're pretty much stuck buying pre made rings with black and white colors. Otherwise how are you going to dress up those stitch rings? Although Bob just layed them right next to phenolic and they look good because they match the point veneers your results may vary buying pre made rings.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
For those of us without a CNC lathe, do any of the cue supply stores sell blanks or slices? Like Bob shows at the end of his video?
If you get an indexer for your lathe you should be able to cut slots pretty easily. Buy sheet stock you can cut up into strips with a bandsaw or whatever and just cut the slots the right width to accept the strips. You could glue up veneers and cut them into strips as well. Lots of options open up with a little bit of ingenuity.

Last edited:

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Without the wood you make the segments out of available to compliment with matching outer rings you're pretty much stuck buying pre made rings with black and white colors. Otherwise how are you going to dress up those stitch rings? Although Bob just layed them right next to phenolic and they look good because they match the point veneers your results may vary buying pre made rings.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm a sub-mediocre woodworker with a $200 lathe. I was making a set of joint protectors (for myself) and some of the premade segmented rings (or blanks like Prather has) might be an easy way to spice up my results. Currently I use penmaking techniques like gluing blanks, which limits my options:

1627958781197.png

Your youtube videos are great for what it's worth!

JC

Coos Cues
Just get and indexer for your lathe and you should be able to cut slots pretty easily. Buy sheet stock you can cut up into strips with a bandsaw or whatever and just cut the slots the right width to accept the strips. You could glue up veneers and cut them into strips as well. Lots of options open up with a little bit of ingenuity.
Cutting the slots the right width to match the strips can be pretty tricky with just an indexing head. Hard to make those strips match available bit widths nicely.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Cutting the slots the right width to match the strips can be pretty tricky with just an indexing head. Hard to make those strips match available bit widths nicely.
That's where the ingenuity part is crucial. ;) One could use a smaller bit and take a couple of passes.