Self Stabilizing

67fastback

Registered
I'm wondering how many cue builders are stabilizing the own wood & if you are what are you stabilizing with? I'll start. I use Cactus Juice from TexTurn.

JC

Coos Cues
I built a vacuum chamber out of pcv pipe and used cactus juice. I have only had a couple woods that have been candidates and the results for both were outstanding. They nearly doubled in weight and kept all the features that made me want to use them to begin with.

I turned the wood round first in order to pack it tight in the tube.
JC

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried it

About 10 years ago I built a tank, bought the vacuum pump etc etc, and was using acryloid b72. Worked great but was a lot of work. So after a year or so, I just started sending my stuff to
River ridge products, haven't looked back since.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been slouching toward the stabilization process recently since i need to saw up a burl for veneer for a furniture project. My plan is to reduce the section that will be sliced down to only the required area for veneer, and use the off-cuts (potentially) for cue parts.

Couple questions:
1.) if the area to be cut for veneer was stabilized before sawing, what does the wood look and act like? IOW, would it be impossible to saw thin with carbon steel BS blades at that point? The veneer leaves will be a sunburst pattern, so not large - maybe 6" - 8" wide x 20" +/- long

2.)Could it be glued with epoxy (WEST) and would it still finish like wood, or would it look more like plastic?

Thanks!
smt

treed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wood stabilizing

the vacuuming part is not that difficult,its the baking part that will destroy your wood.

67fastback

Registered
the vacuuming part is not that difficult,its the baking part that will destroy your wood.

I disagree Treed. I have done multiple pieces of spalted pecan. I soak them in Cactus Juice in vacuum chamber for 24 hours & then bake in oven a 185' for 4 hours. The wood comes out solid & after the excess now crystalized stabilizer is sanded/machined off, the wood looks like it did before it was stabilized, The now stabilized wood turns smooth & is as solid as a piece of ebony & weighs about as much too. The trick is to not over heat it. Cactus Juice solidifies at 180', any hotter will not damage it, but will cause more on the stabilizer to bake out of the wood. But don't be to hasty & pull it out of the oven to soon. If the stabilized wood does not get all the way up to 180' all the way to the center then the stabilizer will not solidify & can not be reheated to solidifies. In other words , the wood is scrap. Photos below are of 2 cues I built with a Spalted Pecan handles & inlay that I stabilized with Cactus Juice.

Attachments

• black palm-spalted pecan cue.jpg
    black palm-spalted pecan cue.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 247
  • FB57842B-7F64-4D9F-B524-6D289C34F300.jpg
    FB57842B-7F64-4D9F-B524-6D289C34F300.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited: