Send Oscar to the Cup as an Alternate

JAM

I am the storm
Silver Member
Our players on Team USA are traveling overseas. What happens if somebody gets sick? I say send Oscar as an alternate team member!

And the monies paid get split with 6 players instead of 5.
 
Our players on Team USA are traveling overseas. What happens if somebody gets sick? I say send Oscar as an alternate team member!

And the monies paid get split with 6 players instead of 5.

I have always liked that idea.....a spare.
...plus, it gives the captain the option of benching.
 
"Hey, Johnny....you weren't good enough to make the team, but how about you come along as a cheerleader, and if one of the other kids gets sick, you may play...."

No thanks :)
 
Was he one of the alternates last time? Was it last year or the year before they named 7 or 8 members to the Mosconi Cup Team, but only 5 playing members, or something like that?
 
That was the idea two years ago but Oscar declined.

No he was given the title "Defensive Coach" or something. Sure Oscar has the best safety game of them all, but what the heck is a defensive coach? Is he gonna step in when there's a hard shot and tell JB to play a 3 rail lock safe? It was a silly title that held little to no value.
 
Our players on Team USA are traveling overseas. What happens if somebody gets sick? I say send Oscar as an alternate team member!

And the monies paid get split with 6 players instead of 5.

Asking pool players to break off cheddar....
Man they told me you knew how to put the bite on, but dayum.
Sir, you ask the impossible.

But seriously, I think Oscar deserves a seat.

Lesh
 
I think an alternate player would be good, just in case someone gets sick. Hey, it happens.

Plus, he will be a part of the team. Think of an alternate juror on the jury. They are needed for a reason.
 
At this point I don't think Oscar is interested in being an afterthought.

He deserved/earned it this year as in other years prior.

For what it's worth, other than Tony Robles and SVB there's no one I would rather see represent our country than Oscar. He's all class and a true ambassador for pool.

Some people argue about winning matches, etc... but I think the Mosconi Cup should be about more than just winning pool games. It should be about sportsmanship, camaraderie, and respect for one another.

Oscar should be on the team.
 
Why does there need to be an "alternate". I take 6 folks to the State Tourney, because like Jam said, someone gets sick, hungover, falls down the stairs, or, which is possible, just plays like shit and you need to substitute him. I'd rather have too many options that not enough.
 
Why does there need to be an "alternate". I take 6 folks to the State Tourney, because like Jam said, someone gets sick, hungover, falls down the stairs, or, which is possible, just plays like shit and you need to substitute him. I'd rather have too many options that not enough.

Exactly! Sometimes players forfeit because they're sick. In this case, if we have an alternate, then we'll still have five team members. Maybe nobody will get sick, and that's fine, but if they do, it would be nice to have an alternate.
 
Do the rules allow them to have 6 on the roster? Do the rules allow them to change the roster or substitute after the event starts?
 
Back
Top