shaft diameter

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing cue shaft diameter. I'm very curious. Ages ago the standard generic diameter was 13mm (.512"). Nowadays I have no clue. Metric or Imperial system please give me some numbers for what YOU play with. I'd like to get as many as possible. FYI: 1 mm = .03937 of an inch. Or, .010" per 1/4 millimeter. Thank you very much for your participation.

Last edited:

Zerksies

The best selling shaft for 25 years now has been the Predator 314. (Player not banger level). That’s 12.75mm.

Now the market is shifting to carbon fiber. The best selling shaft there is the Predator Revo 12.4mm.

13mm has been considered a tank for 20 years now.
It would be nice if their shafts were the actual size that they advertise. I've had several 314 shafts over the decades that were in the 13mm size. I just got a 12.4 Revo and it measures 12.55mm and a BK Rush that measures at a 12.95mm

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be nice if their shafts were the actual size that they advertise. I've had several 314 shafts over the decades that were in the 13mm size. I just got a 12.4 Revo and it measures 12.55mm and a BK Rush that measures at a 12.95mm
That’s why people return products so they can get what they paid for & want versus what gets sent and settle.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've bought 7 predator shafts in the past 25 years and not one of them are to spec. It's always been within their margin
Gosh, that screams crappy quality control. All of my cue makers always delivered what I ordered to get made.
Over the past 50 years, that probably amounts to 25 pool cues I’ve owned and of course, the ones I now have. If you cannot manufacture exactly what the specs are, then the company, or cue maker, is careless. Only when customers start returning products and spreading the word they can’t manufacture the product as described will things change. You never hear of Bob Owens missing the mark or Tonkin, Hercek, Cohen, Mobley, Manzino, etc.

I have a different approach than most folks I guess. You either deliver what I want or return my money so I can go elsewhere to purchase it. That’s why I spell everything out in detail when I’ve ordered a custom cue. Now with shafts, that’s a no brainer since the only thing to deal with is collar design, if any, diameter, taper and weight. Tips & ferrules are whatever you specify. How the maker cannot get the shaft diameter and taper length consistent or with wood shafts as ordered, reflects poor quality control, especially CF shafts. I guess some folks aren’t as discerning.

Zerksies

Gosh, that screams crappy quality control. All of my cue makers always delivered what I ordered to get made.
Over the past 50 years, that probably amounts to 25 pool cues I’ve owned and of course, the ones I now have. If you cannot manufacture exactly what the specs are, then the company, or cue maker, is careless. Only when customers start returning products and spreading the word they can’t manufacture the product as described will things change. You never hear of Bob Owens missing the mark or Tonkin, Hercek, Cohen, Mobley, Manzino, etc.

I have a different approach than most folks I guess. You either deliver what I want or return my money so I can go elsewhere to purchase it. That’s why I spell everything out in detail when I’ve ordered a custom cue. Now with shafts, that’s a no brainer since the only thing to deal with is collar design, if any, diameter, taper and weight. Tips & ferrules are whatever you specify. How the maker cannot get the shaft diameter and taper length consistent or with wood shafts as ordered, reflects poor quality control, especially CF shafts. I guess some folks aren’t as discerning.
My last CF was specked at 12.4 I was going to deal with it when I planned on purchasing. But I’m kind of happy with my 12.5 shaft that’s really what I like to play with.

But in the past. I’ve gotten 13mm Shafts when stock was 12.75mm. It didn’t really matter anyway I was getting it cut down anyway.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always played open bridge 98% of my shots. unless its something real close and I'm trying to impart greater spin to play position across the table. The 12.75-13 I recently played awesome with was a fiberglass cue/shaft. The thing had so much energy on the cue ball. effortless. You had to ease up on short shots. I never figured out what brand it was or what tip was on it. The collar ended up coming off and I threw it out like an idiot (6 years ago). Any help is appreciated man. Thanks.
I think Bavafongoul described the differences very well.ive never used CF. So I can't comment on that. But I know what you mean about losing that nice shaft. And you think it's easy to find another, and it's not. I had an old jensen shaft like that. I still haven't found another one, like that one. Even had a Couple shafts custom made. And I still couldn't replicate it.
I will say one thing, if you brought cyenrgy. That is going to play very different from a fiberglass shaft, I would of thought.
I know the older cuetec cues. Had fiberglass in them.

Nyquil

Just an observation one thing that gets overlooked if you can't try before you buy is the taper. Very important and everyone has their own preferences. For me a like a long pro taper. The smaller stuff low 12' into the 11's are usually concical. Anyway, 12.5-12.75 long pro taper is what I prefer.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently 12.3 and 11.7mm.

I’ve always played with at least a 13mm shaft. I’d been playing with a 13.25 for years until just a couple of weeks ago. Had a new cue built and ordered some partially finished blanks for the maker to match the ring work on. Both were supposed to be 12.8, but when we mic’d them on arrival they were 12.3 and 11.7. I was unsure, but now that the cue is done I like the smaller diameters more. Been mostly playing with the 11.7, actually.

RailKing85

I think Bavafongoul described the differences very well.ive never used CF. So I can't comment on that. But I know what you mean about losing that nice shaft. And you think it's easy to find another, and it's not. I had an old jensen shaft like that. I still haven't found another one, like that one. Even had a Couple shafts custom made. And I still couldn't replicate it.
I will say one thing, if you brought cyenrgy. That is going to play very different from a fiberglass shaft, I would of thought.
The only thing that's different to me is the fiberglass shaft had a stiffer and more juiced hit. And had a gradual taper that was very pleasant and just felt great for sighting and comfort on my bridge. The cynergy feels good, Just affects my sighting a bit being a smaller diameter shaft. And I still lack the confidence I had with the bigger shaft. If I had to guess it looks to have been an older version of this KMISE in this pic. Although I have this gut feeling that mine said titanium on it. It def wasn't a screw on tip.

Attachments

• oldcue.jpg
    oldcue.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 51

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i wonder just how many of the players that agonize over their tips or shaft diameter can run say 50 or 60 balls in an afternoon of pool on a full sized table.
if you can then i feel you are at least good enough to be fine tuning your equipment more than just the basics.
most players that can can also do it with a cue off the wall.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i wonder just how many of the players that agonize over their tips or shaft diameter can run say 50 or 60 balls in an afternoon of pool on a full sized table.
if you can then i feel you are at least good enough to be fine tuning your equipment more than just the basics.
I ran 100 with a broomstick yesterday... but I PREFER a 12mm. lol

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other day before I met a friend to play some pool, I arrived at the pool hall early.
Instead of doing drills since I anticipated his arrival shortly since I got there early, I
scattered 15 balls on the table and started shooting. I was experimenting in my shot
selection trying to pocket the balls not in the most obvious pocket but instead, the
hardest cut and bank shots. Well, I missed a lot more than I made but some of the
shots I attempted were difficult, long backward cut shots and getting shape was never
my intention. I was just warming up trying the toughest shots I could come up with.

I get a text from my friend letting me know he’s running 15-20 mins late. So I spread
another rack of balls on the table but this time I play with the intention of not missing
and I didn’t. So I did it again and it happened again. The balls were dropping and shape
wasn’t that hard when the balls have been scattered on the table and you can choose any
shot. About that time my friend arrives while I am shooting my 3rd rack of scattered balls
and he waves at me saying to finish the table and we’ll play. So I continue shooting and he
comes over and watches. Well, I finally miss a shot & he praises me for my great shooting not
knowing I had already run two racks. So we start to play…..3 matches….8 ball, 10 ball and
straight pool. Well, what do you think happened? I lost 2 of the 3 matches even though by
all appearances I was on my game warming up. And the match I won was really more of my
friend losing to me than me beating him. Practice is entirely different than playing a real match.

The element of pressure gets introduced and it affects how you perform. When it doesn’t count,
it’s easy to be free and loose but playing when it matters changes things. And I think the reason
is the position map you have in mind when playing. 15 scattered balls is easy because you can
change plans mid-stream when the CB rolls too far, not enough or collides accidentally with an OB.
Start playing a match where position will largely dictate your next shot and when you don’t attain it,
the game becomes a whole lot harder. I was reminded of what one of my mentors told me while I
was in my early years of learning to play pool. Always practice with a purpose or don’t bother trying.

When I was warming up before my friend arrived, I ignored that advice and just pocketed balls with the
idea of getting a feel for the table and my stroke. What I should have done is just stick to my practice
routine instead, especially since I knew my buddy would be arriving shortly. People that agonize over
their equipment and are uncertain what they like or prefer are undermining their chances of improving.
Just play with what you have until something better comes along & then figure out why you like it more.
Just make sure you have a practice routine that allows you to get better versus just enjoying a good day.

RailKing85

its too bad they discontinued them. Im almost positive I had a cheap one from walmart/amazon. The weight wasn't adjustable on it. My best bet is Kmise. But the one I had was wrapless. and those have a wrap. I know it didnt say GSE on it.