shaft diameter

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing cue shaft diameter. I'm very curious. Ages ago the standard generic diameter was 13mm (.512"). Nowadays I have no clue. Metric or Imperial system please give me some numbers for what YOU play with. I'd like to get as many as possible. FYI: 1 mm = .03937 of an inch. Or, .010" per 1/4 millimeter. Thank you very much for your participation.

Last edited:

chenjy9

I prefer 12.5 usually, but really like my 12.2 Ignite shaft so who knows anymore. For me, it's more important to have a long pro taper and for the cue to have a forward balance than anything else.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Well, you asked Vince, so here goes.
This is MY reasoning BTW so I am not saying others are wrong. Shaft diameter is highly subjective.
I personally like 11.75 mm. Why ? B/C the shaft still keeps its rigidity yet allows a good reference for aiming. (Dang, I said it,but that is really why), 11.75MM comes out to be right around .460 inches. This allows a .060 sight line with approx .200 on each side,(left & right) of the center .060 strip. I don't know if others see this but I do. That .060 center strip gives me shaft center and also happens to be an approximate area of contact between the CB & OB. This allows me to pinpoint aim, adjust for spin, and measure amount of English.

When I ordered my OB shaft, the rep told me that maple shafts tend to lose their rigidity,(stiffness) around 11mm. Meucci users years ago would turn their shafts down claiming to get much better spin at the expense of a "whippy" shaft,(no longer rigid).
PERSONALLY, I like 11.75 with a super-pro taper.

LeaguePlayer

I do think "standard" shaft diameter has come down in recent years. 12.75 and 12.5 seem common for off-the-shelf cues. Then 11.75-12.25 seem another common range for upgraded/LD shafts.

In the past two years I've gone from 13mm -> 12.5mm -> 11.8mm and I really like where I'm at now.
Rocket, I am at a 13mm maple shaft myself; the same one I've shot with for 13 years. I have noticed some players using tips that appear much smaller than mine, so I thought I'd ask you....what differences did you notice when you changed from 13mm to 12.5mm? And same question for when you dropped it again from 12.5 to 11.8mm.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rocket, I am at a 13mm maple shaft myself; the same one I've shot with for 13 years. I have noticed some players using tips that appear much smaller than mine, so I thought I'd ask you....what differences did you notice when you changed from 13mm to 12.5mm? And same question for when you dropped it again from 12.5 to 11.8mm.
Two differences, really. One is familiarity. When going to a smaller shaft you will feel like you are shooting with a toothpick at first. But that passes quickly. Now, when I shoot with a 13mm I feel like I'm shooting with a tree trunk.

The second was putting proper spin on the cue ball. My visual sense of where I had to aim in order to be hitting the cue ball at a specific spot changed with each switch, so it took a few practice sessions to feel comfortable and probably at least a few weeks before I felt "good."

I really like the increased visibility to the cue ball with the smaller shaft, and feel like it helps me be more precise with tip placement.

I'd spent 8 years using a 13mm diameter shaft.

George the Greek

I started at 13mm and had the shaft taken down to 12.5 then again to 11.5 (maple) and happy with the amount of throw when I'm with sidespin on the ball. My break cue (maple) is 11.5 as well and I can play with it if need be.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
....and happy with the amount of throw when I'm with sidespin on the ball. ....
In the US "throw" refers to the action of friction between the cue ball and object ball that sends the OB slightly away from the line of centers at contact. I'm guessing you are referring to what in the US is called cue ball deflection or squirt, which makes the path of the cue ball diverge from the line of the cue stick.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the US "throw" refers to the action of friction between the cue ball and object ball that sends the OB slightly away from the line of centers at contact. I'm guessing you are referring to what in the US is called cue ball deflection or squirt, which makes the path of the cue ball diverge from the line of the cue stick.
Yeah that is a UK thing, in snooker you say throw, when talking about deflection.