Shaft warped 2~3 mm. Acceptable?

.



Like a lot of sellers...the seller might of stood over the shaft and rolled it and it looked straight.


You really need to bend over and roll it to see how it is.

I have a Joss shaft that looks bad when you roll it but when attached to the butt, It's straight. It's a weird thing.




.
 
In this season especially I wouldn't trust a cue to roll straight if it shipped across town. If it shipped across several states even less. The cue needs to normalize to the environment for a few days minimum before any serious evaluation can be determined. 3mm of runout is less than 1/8" and is overall, so actually less than 1/16" off center at the extreme, which is highly unlikely to affect anyones aim.

True statement here. I had a buyer from TX tell me that the cue I sent him was "warped", both shafts. It was one of the straightest cues I've owned so I was shocked and told him to give it a day or two to acclimate maybe or return it. He let me know a little later that they had straightened out nicely and he was happy with it.

I know it's been argued as to what constitutes a warp on here many times so people's idea of straight varies and that makes selling cues tough.
 
Wood moves with temperature and humidity. Your cuemaker regulates the conditions in his shop...measures the moisture content of the wood and ages it carefully in controlled conditions wile turning it down gradually...then the cue goes into the real world. Might be in the hold of a cargo jet at below zero temps before it gets to you.


I had a guy roll my old Joss on a table once, then picked on the shaft. It was a hair off. He was an idiot. My shafts are straight...depending on what season of the year it is and where in the world it happens to be. LOL!

What really irritated me was that he chose to handle my cue without asking. :angry:






.
 
Was the cue straight when they shipped it?


Doesn't matter. Has nothing to do with anything.
If I get a warped cue/shaft it's going back and I get refunded via Paypal no matter what the seller wants or doesn't want...period.
If the seller doesn't like that then it's best not to be selling cues on ebay.
 
Back
Top