Shaft - Weird Issue

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an interesting issue with a newer OB-1 Shaft. After playing with it for a sort while there seems to be a small section approx. 5" from the tip and an 1" long that feels sticky. I put it on the lathe cleaned the shaft got it nice and smooth and again after a short while playing it came back. Back to the lathe and again got smooth and of course it came back.

Does anybody have a clue what could be causing the same spot on a shaft to have a stcky feeling. I checked for warps and don't see any, it's not my case, and it's not anything that would of came in contact with the shaft. It sems to be the shaft it's self.

I find this very weird and frustrating and was just courious if anybody else has ever seen such an issue?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Greg

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
be1163 said:
I have an interesting issue with a newer OB-1 Shaft. After playing with it for a sort while there seems to be a small section approx. 5" from the tip and an 1" long that feels sticky. I put it on the lathe cleaned the shaft got it nice and smooth and again after a short while playing it came back. Back to the lathe and again got smooth and of course it came back.

Greg

Greg, I do not know if they use UV finish on their shafts at OB1 but let me relate this to you.

After re-tapering a few Duffrin house cues I noticed that a sticky substance was seeping out of the wood in a few small spots.
It turned out to be UV finish that had soaked into the wood and not properly cured.

Not saying that is what you are experiencing but it sounds a lot like it.
Your best bet is to call OB1 and talk to Royce.

BTW: The OB1 is my favorite of all the high tech shafts.

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input, I just emailed OB Cues now/ Dealt with them 2 weeks ago on some tip pads and they were great to deal with.

Thanks again,

Greg

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again for the input. I've actually spoke to Royce @ OB Cues and the shaft is on the way back to him. Once again another very good dealing with him so far.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Royce is one of the 'goog guys' for sure!
I'm guessing maybe the grain of the wood is rising, or slightly irregular.
Regardless, I'm sure you'll be taken care of. :)