Shane's draw break

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has been using this draw break in the World Championship. I wasn't able to get a video from the World Championship but he was practicing it last week and it looks like this.

Egm2ze.gif

He's drawing the cue ball back to the middle of the rail between the side and the corner where he's standing, and back out toward the center. It looks similar to the cut break where they draw to the other side of the side pocket. Here, Shane is drawing straight back.

He actually got a warning from the ref to not break any softer, although it didn't seem like a soft break to me.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Shane has been using this draw break in the World Championship. I wasn't able to get a video from the World Championship but he was practicing it last week and it looks like this.

Egm2ze.gif

He's drawing the cue ball back to the middle of the rail between the side and the corner where he's standing, and back out toward the center. It looks similar to the cut break where they draw to the other side of the side pocket. Here, Shane is drawing straight back.

He actually got a warning from the ref to not break any softer, although it didn't seem like a soft break to me.
I was watching him use that break during practice. Then he played a practice match with someone and he violated the 3 point break rule. Shane didn't know that they were going to use the 3-point rule in this tournament, so they took a break and looked up the rules. When his opponent confirmed to Shane that they will be using the 3-point break rule, Shane changed his break immediately and he didn't use the draw break anymore for days of practice.

So if Shane went back to the draw break during the actual tournament, it would surprise me. But he was definitely doing very well with the draw break in practice.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This tournament is not using the 3 point rule. They said there was a subjective rule against soft breaking.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
This tournament is not using the 3 point rule. They said there was a subjective rule against soft breaking.
Hmmm. Well in Shane's practice match his opponent took ball in hand. I guess that he convinced Shane that the draw break was a soft break. Interesting...

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
template, 1 on spot... Head on hit and you're making the wing ball. The goal is to miss the side below the pocket and get it over to the opposite corner. Drawing the CB straight back makes it avoid bad kicks and most likely way to get a decent shot on the one.

I use it when playing pro ghost.

The warning was crap... He satisfied the 3 point anyway, and drew it hard enough to reach the top rail. Not sure how it could be classified as a soft break.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's Filler drawing the cue ball back to the middle of the short rail.

pSxlfZ.gif

I've been doing this for years, so now I'm just happy I can give up trying to fix it.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's Filler drawing the cue ball back to the middle of the short rail.

I've been doing this for years, so now I'm just happy I can give up trying to fix it.
I do this a lot too, especially with the template. The wing ball is basically guaranteed and the one gets consistently up to the corner. Drawing all the way back to beat possible bad kisses resulting in a scratch makes sense to me.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Typical 9ball break when racked tight, the one ball generally comes up table past the side pockets (if it doesnt go it in or bounce off a point) regardless of where you break from. Drawing on a 9ball break really is a good strategy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The warning was crap... He satisfied the 3 point anyway, ...
Although the three-point rule is not in force, I think satisfying it ought to exempt the breaker from any warning on that break.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Drawing all the way back to beat possible bad kisses resulting in a scratch makes sense to me.
It would be interesting to see a spaghetti-plot of all the object ball paths on a bunch of breaks to see the no-kiss zones. Shane's break above looked like it had zero chance to get a kiss.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Subjective" Rule in a major world tournament? Hmmmmm.
Yeah, that seems dodgy, I agree. And it was only that one ref that took issue with the 'soft' breaks, once with Gorst and once with Shane. And non of them broke the balls softly, in my 'subjective' opinion.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Egm2ze.gif

I remember Ronnie Alcano used that same break to win the 2006 WPC title.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Niels just said in the commentary that drawing the cue ball helps the 1 to stay in front of the side pocket and avoid going in, and then heading towards the opposite back corner pocket.