Shane's draw break

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane just drew it back into the corner pocket on the break. Let's see if he keeps using this break now.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Shane just drew it back into the corner pocket on the break. Let's see if he keeps using this break now.
He switched to more of a power break. Drawing that cueball precisely between the side and corner pockets on the break is very tough to do.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He switched to more of a power break. Drawing that cueball precisely between the side and corner pockets on the break is very tough to do.
It depends on how hard you hit the break. Drawing the CB between the two pockets is fairly easy to control (IMO) if you're breaking as softly as Alcano did in 2006. Of course, accuracy degrades the harder you hit it.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The path of the One Ball can be modified by Cue Ball Placement & the hit on the one ball at impact. Breaking from Just off center, will bring the One Ball back towards the corner. As you move the Cue Ball sideways towards the rail, along the head string, the One Ball's path moves down the side rail toward the Side Pocket.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm. Well in Shane's practice match his opponent took ball in hand. I guess that he convinced Shane that the draw break was a soft break. Interesting...
Why would a soft break result in a foul? At most it should be loss of turn.... just like the 3 point rule.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Why would a soft break result in a foul? At most it should be loss of turn.... just like the 3 point rule.
Ha. I just thought about it. I misstated that. He didn't take ball in hand, he just took over and played the cue ball where it was.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they're going to play it that way, there are plenty of ways to do it other than subjective estimation. Hell, the Predator break app used to measure the speed would be better than what they're doing. Set minimum speed at say... 18 miles an hour.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
If someone draws the cue ball all of the way back and it hits the top rail, to me, that's not a soft break. What, the ref expects someone to draw it all of the way to the top rail and back to the middle of the table for it to be a legal break? That's seems nutty.

something_pool

Registered
If someone draws the cue ball all of the way back and it hits the top rail, to me, that's not a soft break. What, the ref expects someone to draw it all of the way to the top rail and back to the middle of the table for it to be a legal break? That's seems nutty.
It doesn't actually take that much power to draw off of the break: since the pack has 9X as much mass as a single ball, drawing to the rail off the break is much easier than drawing the same distance on a normal shot. Ronnie Alcano was breaking pretty soft with this break in 2006.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
It doesn't actually take that much power to draw off of the break: since the pack has 9X as much mass as a single ball, drawing to the rail off the break is much easier than drawing the same distance on a normal shot. Ronnie Alcano was breaking pretty soft with this break in 2006.
If I remember correctly, Corey's true soft break and he barely hit the balls and the cue ball stayed no higher than the center of the table. Hitting hard enough to draw to the head rail is at least a decent swing at the rack.

something_pool

Registered
If I remember correctly, Corey's true soft break and he barely hit the balls and the cue ball stayed no higher than the center of the table. Hitting hard enough to draw to the head rail is at least a decent swing at the rack.
Corey wasn't trying to draw the cueball - he was aiming for no movement on the cue. If he wanted to, he could have drawn it with not much power.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they're going to play it that way, there are plenty of ways to do it other than subjective estimation. Hell, the Predator break app used to measure the speed would be better than what they're doing. Set minimum speed at say... 18 miles an hour.
I can see it now: guys perfecting 18mph+ breaks that just barely clip the 1 ball, sending the cueball exactly where they want it, effectively allowing a "soft" break.

I think the 3-point rule is the best rule so far that enforces the essence of what the goal actually is: players striving for and achieving a minimal amount of ball spread and action off the break.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m going to give Matchroom a pass on their unusual break decision.
They did well to assemble a field under the current world conditions.
...there are nine women in the field and three players FargoRated under 600....the three point rule would be harsh on them.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have to keep changing the rules of a game all the time (box break, 9-ball on spot, no-soft-break, 3-balls above the head string,...), it is indicative that the game is the problem, not the rules thereto.
Or...... an indication that the players are doing their homework.... and leaning how to break. Why should players be punished for hard work? Just another view of it.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or...... an indication that the players are doing their homework.... and leaning how to break. Why should players be punished for hard work? Just another view of it.
If this is the attitude of "pool" as a whole, they would not be changing the rules "all the time".