Shaw 714 DVD

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Expert? Experts? Bitchers/moaners, most of who(m) post here, can’t/don’t even play the game of 14.1. They just want to dominate the conversation.
List of what’s in their pouches/bags demonstrates their experience.
I can play off the wall, never needed a bag.
But, in my pocket, I always carry a small tape measure.
Before I shoot one ball into any pocket, I measure the mouth of the corner pockets.
I determine the precision level required to play at the top of my game on that particular table and then adjust to the level of play of my opponent, not the table.
Wow. Just wow.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Expert? Experts? Bitchers/moaners, most of who(m) post here, can’t/don’t even play the game of 14.1. They just want to dominate the conversation.
List of what’s in their pouches/bags demonstrates their experience.
I can play off the wall, never needed a bag.
Before I shoot one ball into any pocket, I measure the mouth of the corner pockets.
I determine the precision level required to play at the top of my game on that particular table and then adjust to the level of play of my opponent, not the table.
Good point!

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen Earl do the same thing, but he judges them rapidly and expertly with the combined diameters of two balls placed there.

Assesses all four pockets in a 15-second walk-around! Looks like a cool professional . . . and subtly sharks a lesser opponent in the process
. . . like the Miz would do, when -- with a conspicuous flair -- he'd smile and peel out a hundred dollar bill from his roll, then burnish his shaft with it right before the lag.

Arnaldo

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
You never know what kind of weird stuff ends up valuable. Maybe Shaw will somehow distinguish himself in WW3 and end up ruling a fiefdom and eventually a continent.

His scientists work out cold fusion, interstellar travel, a cure for OB skid...he becomes a worldwide icon and some kid in 2152 has this strange reflective disc that has purportedly captured shaws essence while he played some real life billiards game really well.

Es muy posible

telinoz

Registered
You never know what kind of weird stuff ends up valuable. Maybe Shaw will somehow distinguish himself in WW3 and end up ruling a fiefdom and eventually a continent.

His scientists work out cold fusion, interstellar travel, a cure for OB skid...he becomes a worldwide icon and some kid in 2152 has this strange reflective disc that has purportedly captured shaws essence while he played some real life billiards game really well.

Es muy posible
Ha ha!!

I think you're saying... Dude, just watch the DVD as its not going to be worth thousands in the future for your kids inheritance.
Just a guess.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha!!

I think you're saying... Dude, just watch the DVD as its not going to be worth thousands in the future for your kids inheritance.
Just a guess.
Bought some extra Tomagotchies(kid’s toys) for around 5 bucks in the discount bin, and last year they were going for up to $70 bucks on eBay. Did the same with rookie cards and other stuff. If it’s not worth anything in 50 years, no biggie, spend more than $125 on a night out, no big loss!

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 50 years a DVD will be about as playable as a 78 rpm shellac record is now :LOL:
There’s some 78 rpm records, and I have a few in my ‘future’s safe’, that are worth some money. If I sell them in the future the buyer wouldn’t be playing them. You don’t understand collectibles. In 50 years the 714 would have been all over the Internet and future formats anyway. You wouldn’t buy Babe Ruth’s bat to go out and hit some balls with it .. boy is your face red 🤭

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s some 78 rpm records, and I have a few in my ‘future’s safe’, that are worth some money. If I sell them in the future the buyer wouldn’t be playing them. You don’t understand collectibles. In 50 years the 714 would have been all over the Internet and future formats anyway. You wouldn’t buy Babe Ruth’s bat to go out and hit some balls with it .. boy is your face red 🤭
Most "instant collectibles" that are pitched from the beginning as rare or interesting end up not being collectible or valuable.

The majority of truly collectible objects start out as normal, not especially desirable items but happen to become valuable through a combination of increased demand via unpredictable external factors and tight supply.

In your defense, it would certainly be unpredictable if the Shaw 714 DVD is viewed as desirable in 50 years :geek:

oknazevad

Registered
In 50 years a DVD will be about as playable as a 78 rpm shellac record is now :LOL:
Less, even. Shellac is a fairly stable substance, and any turntable can still play them so long as they have a 78 rpm setting. DVDs, like all optical discs, will suffer from disc rot in which the layers separate if exposed to widely varying temperatures, and all digital formats are only as good as they player's compatibility.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Less, even. Shellac is a fairly stable substance, and any turntable can still play them so long as they have a 78 rpm setting. DVDs, like all optical discs, will suffer from disc rot in which the layers separate if exposed to widely varying temperatures, and all digital formats are only as good as they player's compatibility.
Properly cared for optical media will outlast people's life span & that is a fact.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I've watched most of the DVD now and I can definitely say it's played at a good pace with a lot of good position play. The table was definitely easier than your standard table. I saw probably 20+ shots go that would not have gone on the tables I play my straight pool league on. Shaw is an incredible player though and I'll bet if the table was tighter he would have bore down a little more. I definitely learned a few things from commentary as well. It's a pleasure so far to watch.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've watched most of the DVD now and I can definitely say it's played at a good pace with a lot of good position play. The table was definitely easier than your standard table. I saw probably 20+ shots go that would not have gone on the tables I play my straight pool league on. Shaw is an incredible player though and I'll bet if the table was tighter he would have bore down a little more. I definitely learned a few things from commentary as well. It's a pleasure so far to watch.

Did Shaw do the commentary himself?

middleofnowhere

Registered
Coincidentally just last night I watched him play two straight pool matches on accusats. He played great a hundred plus run and each match one match he won in two innings. not exactly the same player you see on that video freewheeling around.

It's two different types and styles of play. Im more convinced now it would not be possible to do 714 as he did on a legitimate piece of equipment, he just couldn't do it. Most definitely on that run an asterisk is required.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most "instant collectibles" that are pitched from the beginning as rare or interesting end up not being collectible or valuable.

The majority of truly collectible objects start out as normal, not especially desirable items but happen to become valuable through a combination of increased demand via unpredictable external factors and tight supply.

In your defense, it would certainly be unpredictable if the Shaw 714 DVD is viewed as desirable in 50 years :geek:
Very true- Just look at the price of Franklin Mint 'collectibles' of 40/50 years ago or Hummel figures- same thing-worth almost nothing.