SHIPPING...still usps after new $15 fee? How do you ship?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using PirateShip about one year now for my personal shipments. It’s awesome. The price is way less. The website is 10x easier to use (than all 3 or the carriers). Highly recommend. They offer USPS and UPS shipping, both at substantially lower prices than direct. They don’t offer FedEx. They easily show more choices. For example “parcel select” is usually the cheapest one. I never even heard of that one when using the usps site.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using PirateShip about one year now for my personal shipments. It’s awesome. The price is way less. The website is 10x easier to use (than all 3 or the carriers). Highly recommend. They offer USPS and UPS shipping, both at substantially lower prices than direct. They don’t offer FedEx. They easily show more choices. For example “parcel select” is usually the cheapest one. I never even heard of that one when using the usps site.
The 'over length' fee still applies tho right? That's on the carrier not PS i'm assuming.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been using UPS since postal service added the surcharge. My single cue shipments have averaged $14.

The lowest price I have seen was a shipment to me via USPS under 10 bux. Shipper had a corp acct.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Print your own UPS labels. They might slip a slight upcharge but still a best rate. Never use PakMail or The UPS STORE… use them only to ship a prepaid label/package.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Print your own UPS labels. They might slip a slight upcharge but still a best rate. Never use PakMail or The UPS STORE… use them only to ship a prepaid label/package.
UPS Store's are franchises and they can hit you with all kinds of fees. I once shipped a cue back to maker who lived off the hwy by about 200yds. UPSStore wanted to charge me a fkng 'gravel road fee'. WTF.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
They do offer FedEx lol

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
The 'over length' fee still applies tho right? That's on the carrier not PS i'm assuming.
You can cut a postal triangle tube down to 36 inches and avoid that. Pirate ship is the best. I ship UPS almost exclusively now. Even with 1k insurance the average cue costs just over 20 bucks to ship domestically. I sent a cue to Japan for $72 UPS through pirate ship and it got there in two days. I wouldn't use Fedex even if it was a choice.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
UPS Store's are franchises and they can hit you with all kinds of fees. I once shipped a cue back to maker who lived off the hwy by about 200yds. UPSStore wanted to charge me a fkng 'gravel road fee'. WTF.
I remember you saying that. I got a $5.00 fee as the destination was on a hill in a rural area by a long winding road. Don’t you love shiiit merchants.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pirate Ship offers the "Box in a Bag" option, which could be cheaper than the box by itself.
"Box in a Bag" cost is calculated on the basis of volume and weight.
It can save a few bucks, sometimes.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can cut a postal triangle tube down to 36 inches and avoid that. Pirate ship is the best. I ship UPS almost exclusively now. Even with 1k insurance the average cue costs just over 20 bucks to ship domestically. I sent a cue to Japan for $72 UPS through pirate ship and it got there in two days. I wouldn't use Fedex even if it was a choice.
Cutting it down to 36 inches won't avoid the new $15.00 surcharge. It applies to anything over 30 inches. Anything over 22 inches has a $4.00 surcharge, anything over 30 inches has a $15.00 surcharge, and anything over 2 cubic feet in volume has a $15.00 surcharge. The charges are additive, which means that if you ship a package that is more than 30 inches long and more than 2 cubic feet the surcharge will be $30.00. USPS has also eliminated the Regional Rate catagory which was a very good choice for small but heavy items. Now UPS and FedEx are significantly cheaper for those items.

I ship 40-50 packages a week, and since the new surcharges went into effect I have migrated about 30% of my shipping from the USPS to UPS and FedEx Ground. The split used to be about 80% USPS and 20% UPS/FedEx, but now it's just about 50-50.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Cutting it down to 36 inches won't avoid the new $15.00 surcharge. It applies to anything over 30 inches. Anything over 22 inches has a $4.00 surcharge, anything over 30 inches has a $15.00 surcharge, and anything over 2 cubic feet in volume has a $15.00 surcharge. The charges are additive, which means that if you ship a package that is more than 30 inches long and more than 2 cubic feet the surcharge will be $30.00. USPS has also eliminated the Regional Rate catagory which was a very good choice for small but heavy items. Now UPS and FedEx are significantly cheaper for those items.

I ship 40-50 packages a week, and since the new surcharges went into effect I have migrated about 30% of my shipping from the USPS to UPS and FedEx Ground. The split used to be about 80% USPS and 20% UPS/FedEx, but now it's just about 50-50.
I guess I wasn't aware of the postal service new fees as I fired them a time ago. UPS seems to be the most solid choice right now.