Shipping to unconfirmed paypal address?

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry for the post in the wrong section, but I know this is the best place to get some help on this topic...

Could anyone tell me what the risk is, or current scams involving, shipping to an unconfirmed address? The payment I received is from a verified paypal member, but their shipping address is unconfirmed. While I cannot get seller protection through paypal as a result, it basically tells me that I should cover myself by capturing detailed tracking information. The shipment is to be UPS 2-day air, which the buyer paid for.

Paypal says basically that the buyer can initiate a chargeback.. does that mean if the buyer is a scammer they can receive the item, initiate a chargeback, the then paypal take the money back from me through one of my attached accounts? Even if the money is no longer in my paypal account? Curious as to how this works, and what the risk is. I've been using paypal for a very long time, and had no idea until I went to sell something that they even had address verification.

Thanks for your time!

eeng168

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
sent you a pm

Bastian said:
Sorry for the post in the wrong section, but I know this is the best place to get some help on this topic...

Could anyone tell me what the risk is, or current scams involving, shipping to an unconfirmed address? The payment I received is from a verified paypal member, but their shipping address is unconfirmed. While I cannot get seller protection through paypal as a result, it basically tells me that I should cover myself by capturing detailed tracking information. The shipment is to be UPS 2-day air, which the buyer paid for.

Paypal says basically that the buyer can initiate a chargeback.. does that mean if the buyer is a scammer they can receive the item, initiate a chargeback, the then paypal take the money back from me through one of my attached accounts? Even if the money is no longer in my paypal account? Curious as to how this works, and what the risk is. I've been using paypal for a very long time, and had no idea until I went to sell something that they even had address verification.

Thanks for your time!

21Gambler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
only thing I can tell you is 99% of all ebay only ship to verified must be for some good reason, and honestly dont know how you can get a verified paypal account without a confirmed address, and paypal seems to be telling you to avoid them as they will not offer seller protection on the transaction. Could be the person hacked the other persons account and the address no longer links up to the proper person, and if this is the case you wont get any money as the person owning the account will be covered for fraud transactions and will be credited the amount of said transaction, and yes paypal will deduct this from your account. Hope this helps you.

Boogie

Repeat pool offender
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Q: What does it mean to be Verified in the U.S.?

A: Verified status means you have confirmed your bank account or been approved for the PayPal Plus Credit Card or PayPal Buyer Credit.

Q: What does it mean if a seller or buyer is Verified or Unverified?

A: Verified PayPal members have confirmed their financial identity by successfully completing PayPal's Verification process.

The Verification process is a way for PayPal to gain additional proof of a member's identity in conjunction with our own authentication methods, and increases the security of our payment network for everyone.

Unverified members have not completed the Verification process needed for their country of residence.

***What could happen with unverified account***

Nothing good!!!! I can mention a lot of things that could happen, but I'm not going to give the "bad guys" more ways to screw over the good guys then they have already figured out.

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, the paypal ID is verified, but the address is unconfirmed. In so many of these auctions I see that people will not ship to unconfirmed addresses, and the paypal site suggests it's a bad idea. Would make sense that if you did hijack someone's paypal address, this would be an easy way to commit fraud with the account.

It's just not worth the risk for the $50 profit on the extra Wii that we have.

Thanks for the notes guys, I had no doubt where to turn for quality information on this topic (like so many others!).. love this board!

hypnauticz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
to be honest..i been dealing on ebay..and some other deal by using paypal.i would suggests to deal with peoples with a Confirmed address,
someone might hack the account and try to make a 1 time deal or so..but if the owner of the account reported to the fraud department.
then you might lost wateva your dealing with.

so dont risk that little profit over this..

hope this help

Boogie

Repeat pool offender
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One problem with an unconfirmed address, is that it's very easy to say they never got the shipment.

kgeorgia

Capone Cue Rocks!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I live in Greece and i have a verified account on Paypal but no unconfirmed address due to the fact the only in US Paypal can have confirmed addresses. Actually i believe this is rediculus since i have used paypal hundreds of times and the fact that none of the sellers faced any problems with me, paypal should concider automatically to make me confirmed. Really don't know how this works. Another issue is that when paypal send you the code to be verified, it means that a credit card statement has to come to your hands to see the code and put it in paypal. That simple means the address is verified cause statement came to the address that i am living!!! as simple as that. Anyway, this thread was an excellent one and i had the chance to put it out of me :)

9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Don`t do it!

Bastian said:

Thanks for your time!

From experience don!t do it!

Go to pay pal sucks .com http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
9ball said:
From experience don!t do it!

Go to pay pal sucks .com http://www.paypalsucks.com/

I agree !!!... Do Not Ship to "Unconfirmed" addresses and state it in your listing as such. Unconfirmed in the states= Postal Money Order. Overseas= Western Union or U.S. Postal Money Order ( they can be obtained in Europe )
and Do Not Ship until you have cashed the Money Order... at the Post Office.
Period !... Hope this helps.

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yep, fortunately I had stated it in the auction, as I had seen it in so many others. I refunded the guy's money and didn't hear from him again.. he never replied to my original email either.. looks like I dodged a bullet thanks to all of you.. my sincere thanks!

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
As we speak, I have a potential bidder from "Indonesia" wanting to know if I will ship there ... I never have and probably never will ... Just read the horror stories about Indonesia ... I told him I might let him bid IF he pays by Western Union, but I am still skeptical ...

PayPal is nothing but BAD NEWS for the SELLER (they DO NOT Protect their Sellers in any way, shape, or form), but is still a good Buying Tool ... I closed my Premier Account last month (I was a member since Day One) due to PayPal's callous disregard for MY problems with buyers and, more importantly, because of their horrendously high fees ...

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My shipping address is not confirmed and I have had nothing but positive transactions. I do have a confirmed address and I include that in a note when I purchase something through paypal but I don't receive packages at that address. I think you just have to use your head and if you feel something is not right then you have to act accordingly. People like me who are honest should not have to suffer just because we don't get our mail at the same place we get our packages.

Bastian said:

Thanks for your time!

Stan9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Tap tap tap!!

I totally agree. Sometimes it pays to do a simple check and use some common sense in transactions over the web, whether overseas or not.

Murray Tucker said:
My shipping address is not confirmed and I have had nothing but positive transactions. I do have a confirmed address and I include that in a note when I purchase something through paypal but I don't receive packages at that address. I think you just have to use your head and if you feel something is not right then you have to act accordingly. People like me who are honest should not have to suffer just because we don't get our mail at the same place we get our packages.

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Str8PoolPlayer said:
As we speak, I have a potential bidder from "Indonesia" wanting to know if I will ship there ... I never have and probably never will ... Just read the horror stories about Indonesia ... I told him I might let him bid IF he pays by Western Union, but I am still skeptical ...

PayPal is nothing but BAD NEWS for the SELLER (they DO NOT Protect their Sellers in any way, shape, or form), but is still a good Buying Tool ... I closed my Premier Account last month (I was a member since Day One) due to PayPal's callous disregard for MY problems with buyers and, more importantly, because of their horrendously high fees ...

If it's legit you can pick your CASH up at your local Western Union Office. Then simply, ship the cue. Deal is done!

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Bastian said:

Thanks for your time!

If you ship to an unconfirmed address and the buyer initiates a dispute with his credit card company, the shipper will absolutely lose the funds and that dispute.

The fact that the funds aren't in your account means nothing. PayPal will close your account until you make the funds good, and if you don't restore they will chase you in court where they have the 100% dead-nuts lock winning case.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance

Kevin