Shoot again

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The incoming player has the option to accept the table or make the other player shoot the shot again. In the case where he chooses to make the other player shoot, the table is restored to as close to exactly the same as before the foul shot.
This was not made clear. While it may be practical in some cases, I don't think, in the general case, that restoring positions in pool is either realistic or desirable. It's feasible in snooker because the kind of foul where the "shoot again" option is exercised is usually a softly hit kick in which few, if any balls, are moved. Fouls in pool happen on all kinds of shots and at all cue ball speeds and restoring the position of the balls can be near impossible in far too many cases for this idea to work.

bb9ball

Registered
The shoot again option will often be exercised in snooker after a missed kick. It came up several times in the semifinal of the 2020 World Snooker Championships between Mark Selby and Ronnie O'Sullivan. The grinding, tactically oriented Selby often wins frames by wearing opponents down through forced repetition of kicks.

Thanks Stu.

I didn't take pt109's post as being a restore and shoot again, but more as a pass and the opponent shoots again. I am with you in believing the restore option being too difficult to be practical. I did watch several of this year's World Snooker Championship matches. I guess I still have a blind spot to that rule.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was not made clear. While it may be practical in some cases, I don't think, in the general case, that restoring positions in pool is either realistic or desirable. It's feasible in snooker because the kind of foul where the "shoot again" option is exercised is usually a softly hit kick in which few, if any balls, are moved. Fouls in pool happen on all kinds of shots and at all cue ball speeds and restoring the position of the balls can be near impossible in far too many cases for this idea to work.
Yes, I agree it's a rule that almost can't be used outside of tournament play. I was making a point in how different pool and snooker are.