Shootout at Bank Shots...Illinois last night

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
2/3 or more of the firearms used in Chicago crimes come from surrounding states with lax gun laws. What's emboldening who?

pj
chgo

You're still thinking those who shoot people with guns buy their gun legally, cuz that's the legal thing to do? That gun-nuttery thinking.

Gun nuts also haven't figured out that THE STATE INITATES GUN VIOLENCE (sic) to enforce everything it does, including taking guns away from those who aren't shooting people simply because they can. Anyone who uses guns like that or supports that kind of crime is a criminal by default.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Where would they get them if all states had strong gun laws?

More law-abiding citizens shoot themselves and their family members than stop crimes.

Yeah, like advocating for more and more guns in circulation.

pj <- cowboy logic
chgo

Can you buy pot, for example, in states where it is illegal?

Dr. Seuss? The Muppets?

Your men with guns don't use them to stop the drug war; they use them to stop YOU and your pesky liberty. Elliot Ness still lives in Chicago. Drug War I is STILL being fought, even after all those gun laws in place. Hello?

Jeff Livingston

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you buy pot, for example, in states where it is illegal?

Dr. Seuss? The Muppets?

Your men with guns don't use them to stop the drug war; they use them to stop YOU and your pesky liberty. Elliot Ness still lives in Chicago. Drug War I is STILL being fought, even after all those gun laws in place. Hello?

Jeff Livingston
If they would just outlaw murdering and robbing people then the guns wouldn’t matter.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've lived in inner city Chicago neighborhoods for the past 50 years, worked in "high crime" neighborhoods for most of them, and have spent time in every Chicago neighborhood - and have never seen or even heard a gun, much less needed one. As far as I know, the same goes for everybody I've known in Chicago.

If more and more law abiding citizens have/carry guns, we'll be in more danger from our neighbors than from criminals.

pj
chgo
Why would you be in more danger if law abiding citizens have or carry guns?? Why would your neighbors be more of a danger to you than criminals? Sorry, NONE of this makes any sense to me....

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
An article from Scientific American. Of course, it's not as reliable as a bunch of pool playing policy experts...

"...about 30 careful studies show more guns are linked to more crimes"

A counter example: 3 young men tried to burglarize my house a few years ago. When they saw me holding my weapon, they ran away.

A gun probably saved my life, certainly some of my other property.

What's Scientific American have to say about that fact?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Congratulations.

pj
chgo

Thank you. It was a lot smarter to have bought the gun before criminals came to my door than to not have had it to save me. So, I got that going for me.

A gun saved me. I bet any (non state) criminal reading this would choose another house than mine to buglarize.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Perhaps a gun might someday save you, too.

Something to think about, before you need it.

When a skool shooting happens, which would be better?: cowering behind a social studies book or a gun.

Jeff Livingston

Cuedup

Perhaps a gun might someday save you, too.

Something to think about, before you need it.

When a skool shooting happens, which would be better?: cowering behind a social studies book or a gun.

Jeff Livingston
Would issuing firearms to every student and faculty member make schools safer?

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. It was a lot smarter to have bought the gun before criminals came to my door than to not have had it to save me. So, I got that going for me.

A gun saved me. I bet any (non state) criminal reading this would choose another house than mine to buglarize.

Jeff Livingston
The one and only way the anti gun advocates will understand why it is important to have the equipment and ability to protect themselves is when they become a victim. That is when their opinions change. As long as it does not happen to them then it does not matter. But they get all upset when law abiding citizens wish to protect themselves and their property. They continuously wrap themselves in statistics claiming one thing or another because it coincides with their agenda.

I would love them to go and chat with a victim face to face and argue with them about protecting themselves. Or perhaps wait for 15 or twenty minutes for the police to arrive while a burglar or someone worse is trying to force their way into your home.. The reality is the police cannot be everywhere instantly, they will tell you that themselves. I have never met a police person that thinks anyone that qualifies for a concealed carry permit is a threat to them or anyone else for that matter..

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one and only way the anti gun advocates will understand why it is important to have the equipment and ability to protect themselves is when they become a victim. That is when their opinions change. As long as it does not happen to them the it does not matter. But they get all upset when law abiding citizens wish to protect themselves and their property. They continuously wrap themselves in statistics claiming one thing or another because it coincides with their agenda.

I would love them to go and chat with a victim face to face and argue with them about protecting themselves. Or perhaps wait for 15 or twenty minutes for the police to arrive while a burglar or someone worse is trying to force their way into your home.. The reality is the police cannot be everywhere instantly, they will tell you that themselves. I have never met a police person that thinks anyone that qualifies for a concealed carry permit is a threat to them or anyone else for that matter..
The problem is that most people who are anti-gun don't ever plan on being victims. They figure if the crap hits the fan, 911 will save them, or the bad guys conscience will kick in and they will do the right thing and not harm them or their loved ones, just take the valuables and leave.

So a question for any of the anti- gun crowd, and I ask this with all due respect. What is your plan at 3:30 in the morning when you are awakened by the sound of breaking glass?

Do you have a loud alarm? Is the response time for security or cops within, say, 1 minute?

Do you have a big dog? Is it trained to stop intruders?

Do you have a panic room in your house that is impenetrable?

Do you rely on the bad guys good will not to harm you or loved ones?

Do you like your chances with a Louisville slugger vs. a gun? Maybe pepper spray?

I would just hope that everyone has a plan in place for when it does hit the fan...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You don't have to own or carry if you don't want to. Don't tread on me though. Not rocket science.
Speaking of science, here's another Scientific American article about gun ownership research. A couple of the findings:

- Firearm assaults were seven times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least.

- Guns at home were four times more likely to cause an accidental shooting, seven times more likely to be used in assault or homicide, and eleven times more likely to be used in a suicide than they were to be used for self-defense.

pj
chgo

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Speaking of science, here's another Scientific American article about gun ownership research. A couple of the findings:

- Firearm assaults were seven times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least.

- Guns at home were four times more likely to cause an accidental shooting, seven times more likely to be used in assault or homicide, and eleven times more likely to be used in a suicide than they were to be used for self-defense.

pj
chgo

Is that an anecdote or data? :)
I own more than one gun and know how to use them properly and store them carefully. I also think we should have far more stringent controls on who can buy a gun, starting with Universal background checks! Even those who are pro 2nd Amendment should realize that some people should not be allowed to own a gun. There have been several mass shootings by people who had already been diagnosed and treated for mental disorders, yet they were able to buy a gun legally in their state.