Should Earl be ejected given the "evidence"

Based on the new "Video", should Earl be ejected?

• Total voters

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on man.

Please answer one simple (yes / no) question...

Did Earl indicate his shot by pointing his cue directly before shooting?

He waved his cue in the direction of the pocket. You can interpret that however you wish.

What he did do was verbally call the wrong ball. If that's okay, then what's to stop a player from continually calling the incorrect object ball when playing "obvious shots"?

Of course if the shot was so obvious. Why did he need to call it?

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
You just despise Earl.

He pointed his cue and that takes priority over all previous indications..

He waved his cue in the direction of the pocket. You can interpret that however you wish.

What he did do was verbally call the wrong ball. If that's okay, then what's to stop a player from continually calling the incorrect object ball when playing "obvious shots"?

Of course if the shot was so obvious. Why did he need to call it?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The ref wasn't even paying attention.

Stop trying to defend Earl by making up facts.

He was 5 feet away. He was watching and he knows what Earl was shooting. Those facts are not in dispute.

Earl pointing to the ten and the pocket are not in dispute.

Earl, if said "two" misspoke as he meant the ten, good thing he later pointed to it to ensure he was shooting the ten, so some lame pool player does not jump up and cry foul.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
obvious shot, I would have been fine with either call by the officials

I don't think Earl knowlingly lied, never known him to do that and Shaw is quite pathetic imo

Shaw in his prime still can't beat a half insane near senior citizen, lmfao, there's a few pros out there that shaw would never have the balls to step to like that, skinny little punk, lol

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a cultural difference at play here. Snooker players are expected to hold themselves to account at all times, if you call the yellow and shoot the green, you lose your innings. If you touch a ball you're bridging over, you lose your innings. Players take responsibility for calling fouls on themselves when nobody has seen them, not because they're not sure f they'll get away with it, but because it's simply the right thing to do. There's many examples of this on youtube and it's an accepted cultural norm in this environment and no slack is given in competition.

The arguments on here about which parts of the actual written rules can (or should, even!) just be completely ignored shows you how differently things are treated in pool, with a laissez-faire "that'll do" apathy towards proper etiquette, manners and integrity (see Earl lying about calling balls).

Jayson has a snooker background (and playing pool with people who play snooker) and asking for a rule to be enforced that was enforced earlier in the match isn't some pre-meditated sharking move, it's naively expecting consistency. Earl on the other hand is a pool player.

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would venture to guess that Earl's favor would be American votes, and all the European AzB-ers will be voting for Jayson.

I think you're selling the public short with that - saying that people will overlook obvious deceit because of their jingoistic view of the world? I think holding that view speaks volumes about your own moral fiber.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
He was 5 feet away. He was watching and he knows what Earl was shooting. Those facts are not in dispute.

Earl pointing to the ten and the pocket are not in dispute.

Earl, if said "two" misspoke as he meant the ten, good thing he later pointed to it to ensure he was shooting the ten, so some lame pool player does not jump up and cry foul.

^^^^ This.

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is up with all earl haters. I be first say guy is not very classy but come on guys this European vs American argument is getting old. Even if earl called the 2 ball everybody in building including Jayson knew he was going for the 10. So here is how I see it since we all know earl was going for the 10 ball not the 2 would the European players be happy if Jayson won on a bad vocabulary accident. Or is this pool and championship pool at that. I don't know about the European players arguing. But to me I just wanted see the best player that day win. Is there any argument that earl was better that day. Or are we to believe Jayson was better that day because earl misspoke. The European players are usually first to claim gentleman's game but earl was better that day we just need to let it ride from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing came up was a song no video. But yes earl won that match even if he called the 2 which I had friend there who says he did call the 2 but everybody knew he was going for 10. Thats problem with pool to many people trying make rules work to their favor. All these arguments I haven't seen many claim that earl wasn't shooting for the 10. So since every decent pool shooter in the building knew earl was going for the 10 and the 10 went in. Yes earl deserved that win. And again I am not a earl fan. I like Jayson more than earl. And yes I am American. But what's right is right and earl made the ball he was aiming for so I think earl won the match. Furthermore talk about a classless move by Jayson throwing balls off table before match was over. Now that looked like something earl would do. So European players please give me a excuse for that in the world of class act pool I here is so much better over there.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The only thing came up was a song no video. But yes earl won that match even if he called the 2 which I had friend there who says he did call the 2 but everybody knew he was going for 10. Thats problem with pool to many people trying make rules work to their favor. All these arguments I haven't seen many claim that earl wasn't shooting for the 10. So since every decent pool shooter in the building knew earl was going for the 10 and the 10 went in. Yes earl deserved that win. And again I am not a earl fan. I like Jayson more than earl. And yes I am American. But what's right is right and earl made the ball he was aiming for so I think earl won the match. Furthermore talk about a classless move by Jayson throwing balls off table before match was over. Now that looked like something earl would do. So European players please give me a excuse for that in the world of class act pool I here is so much better over there.

C'mon dude, let it ride.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... But to me I just wanted see the best player that day win. Is there any argument that earl was better that day. Or are we to believe Jayson was better that day because earl misspoke. The European players are usually first to claim gentleman's game but earl was better that day we just need to let it ride from there.

I'd say they were about even that day (info from my stats thread):

Match #10 -- Earl Strickland d. Jayson Shaw 200 - 184
High Run: 52, 75
Total Innings: 12, 11
PPI (Points per Inning): 16.7, 16.7
Attempted Scoring Innings: 11, 10
PPASI (Points per Attempted Scoring Inning): 18.2, 18.4
Missed Shots: 8, 6
Unintentional Fouls: 0, 4
Match Length: 168 min. (including approx. 20-min. dispute resolution at end of match)
Points per Minute: 2.3