SHould I suggest this to a new (old) bar?

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a bar I've been going to to play pool for around 20 years. It's on it's 4th owner since I started going there. They just reopened after being closed for about 5 months.

The place remains about the same as it has for the last 15 years.
Three crappy pool tables (need felt really bad), a dance floor, and a bar.
They are still on probation to get their video poker machines so, for today, all they have to offer is the three pool tables, a band on Friday and Saturday, TV's, food, and booze.

My suggestion that I think they might need is to have free internet.

Is it a bad idea? Would it take away or add business. Would it "hurt" the pool playing atmosphere?

What do you all think?
 
I think it would have a minimal impact either way. But you could check with the local electronics or computer stores. Some of them will "sponsor" free wifi in exchange for a small ad or two in the room.

Example:

Free wifi provided by:
ABC Computer Co

Good luck,

-Blake
 
Why do you feel that you need to suggest anything? If you feel like you need to put in your two cents, why not suggest they recover the tables and then host a weekly tournament?
 
That is a better idea, but it should be accompanied by you volunteering your time to run the tourney, or help out in some way that would generate business for the bar. Not just "you need to recover the tables so I can enjoy pool more." I don't see how free wifi would benefit a bar, but if you do, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask about it. Maybe take up a collection with other regulars and pay the router?
 
Last edited:
That is a better idea, but it should be accompanied by you volunteering your time to run the tourney, or help out in some way that would generate business for the bar. Not just "you need to recover the tables so I can enjoy pool more." I don't see how free wifi would benefit a bar, but if you do, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask about it. Maybe take up a collection with other regulars and pay the router?

Yeah... a local joint around here has a small, weekly tournament that is run by the participants. A couple guys know how to set up the brackets, then it pretty much runs itself. The bar pays for the games and 100% of the ($5) entry fee goes to pay first and second place.

If you go to them with this suggestion, they will probably do very little besides recover the tables. Once they see a bump in their business, they might help more.
 
I'd prefer free beer.

Just a few days and I'll buy ya one my friend. Check your PMs, I sent you my cel # ... text when you're thirsty :thumbup:

I agree with the suggesting new cloth and a small tourney comment ... can't hurt to suggest imo.

Dave
 
You are in Portland OR...a better suggestion would be to hire a bouncer and keep all of the dirty hippies out.

Of course that cuts their potential customer base by 98%.

dld

There aren't that many dirty hippies left... the pretentious d-bags and beer snobs have chased them out of town. :)

-matthew <--- who still misses his MacTarnahans
 
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say anyone who does NOT offer free internet at this sort of business, is screwing up.

If they already have the internet (and most do) then all they're basically paying for is a wireless router. There's some concerns with security and bandwidth if you want to get fancy, but basically we're looking at 50-100 bucks. Maybe 150 if you can't find someone to hook it up for free. It pays for itself in a WEEK.

Being able to get wifi has MANY times influenced my decision about which restaurant I choose, or which pool hall. If I want to shoot with my buddies but there's also a TAR match or something going on... the pool hall with wifi gets our business. If I want to surf the forums or read my latest book, I wanna do it on the tablet or laptop rather than the phone, which means wifi makes the difference.

Absolutely suggest it, doesn't cost anything to throw it out there. Stress that it only needs to bring in like 5 people over its entire lifetime to pay for itself.
 
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say anyone who does NOT offer free internet at this sort of business, is screwing up.

If they already have the internet (and most do) then all they're basically paying for is a wireless router. There's some concerns with security and bandwidth if you want to get fancy, but basically we're looking at 50-100 bucks. Maybe 150 if you can't find someone to hook it up for free. It pays for itself in a WEEK.

Being able to get wifi has MANY times influenced my decision about which restaurant I choose, or which pool hall. If I want to shoot with my buddies but there's also a TAR match or something going on... the pool hall with wifi gets our business. If I want to surf the forums or read my latest book, I wanna do it on the tablet or laptop rather than the phone, which means wifi makes the difference.

Absolutely suggest it, doesn't cost anything to throw it out there. Stress that it only needs to bring in like 5 people over its entire lifetime to pay for itself.

I'm exactly the opposite... when I go out, I'm doing it to interact with other people. The thought of WiFi is farthest from my mind.
 
For free internet, you're looking at a monthly fee upward of $100 for bandwidth. Cable companies, and Verizon have two tier pricing; residential and business. You'll need to make sure there are enough routers to cover the space, otherwise, you'll get customers who complain about spotty coverage, and post their gripes on AZ.

So, we're looking at a minimum cost of $1,200 per year to maintain the free service plus the cost of the routers. $1,200 may also pay to cover 3 tables, or $2,400 to cover the tables and provide free wifi.

As CharlesUFarley suggested running a tournament. If the bar attracts and retained enough new customers, it could justify re-clothing the table. Volunteer to stream the tournament matches, that could justify the expense for adding internet.
 
Krupa, same here.

When I go out, I am amazed these days to see 4 people sitting at a table and each one is looking at their phone, texting.

People are losing the art of conversation?

But, I think the idea of asking the owner to re cloth the tables and then volunteering to hold a weekly tourney would go over well.

Our weekly 9 Ball tourney is usually run by one person. When he can't make it, myself or someone else will take over. The bracket sheets are pre printed, just fill in the names, collect the money and the rest of the tourney runs itself.
 
The advantage of a smartphone and/or laptop computer is freedom. It allows you to "get out" during times you otherwise wouldn't be able to. I can go play pool at our community center anytime because I know that if a client needs something I can fire up my laptop and get it to him within minutes...and then get back to playing pool.

People say "that's horrible that you're on call all the time..." Sure, but otherwise I'd be chained to a desk instead of a pool table!

I think offering free WiFi in a service business will be a requirement over the next few years particularly as tablets become more common.
 
The advantage of a smartphone and/or laptop computer is freedom. It allows you to "get out" during times you otherwise wouldn't be able to. I can go play pool at our community center anytime because I know that if a client needs something I can fire up my laptop and get it to him within minutes...and then get back to playing pool.

People say "that's horrible that you're on call all the time..." Sure, but otherwise I'd be chained to a desk instead of a pool table!

I think offering free WiFi in a service business will be a requirement over the next few years particularly as tablets become more common.

You and I have different definitions of the word "freedom." :D
 
krupa: great! Nonetheless, antisocial guys like me look for wifi. And I'm not a unique snowflake. There are many of us.

ctyhunter: Pretty much all bars/restaurants/pool halls already have internet. No business owner out there is torn between buying internet access or new cloth. And it's ALWAYS the more expensive business class if it's open to the public. The ISPs won't sell you residential service if you're running a business. Which is a total scam because a lot of businesses don't need or use the extra bandwidth. But that's how it is.

Even if you're the only bar/pool hall in the country with no existing internet, you only need an extra $100 a month to justify the cost. But honestly that cost is there no matter what for any serious business. So you're just recouping the cost of routers.

It's an absolute no-brainer.
 
OK, I have to admit, I am liking my Galaxy 3 a whole lot these days.

If I'm out and have a spare minute, I will log onto AZ and see if I am missing anything.

And I do keep in touch with people via Text. I just don't let it consume my entire social time out.
 
Creedo,

A couple of years ago, I suggested wifi to a local poolhall as part of an overhaul to attract more customers. The establishment didn't have internet, only cable TV. I worked with the owner's son, together we found these pitfalls. In the end, the owner opted to re-cloth a few tables, moved tables around, and flipped cloths on the rest.

The OP can make his suggestion, but the business owner needs to justify the expense in additional customers.

krupa: great! Nonetheless, antisocial guys like me look for wifi. And I'm not a unique snowflake. There are many of us.

ctyhunter: Pretty much all bars/restaurants/pool halls already have internet. No business owner out there is torn between buying internet access or new cloth. And it's ALWAYS the more expensive business class if it's open to the public. The ISPs won't sell you residential service if you're running a business. Which is a total scam because a lot of businesses don't need or use the extra bandwidth. But that's how it is.

Even if you're the only bar/pool hall in the country with no existing internet, you only need an extra $100 a month to justify the cost. But honestly that cost is there no matter what for any serious business. So you're just recouping the cost of routers.

It's an absolute no-brainer.
 
NO Wi-fi Everytime you go in a bar now people aren't talking just staring at their frickin' phone. Get the tables fixed, have tournaments, offer free lessons and get people off their ass for a change.
 
Back
Top