Should pro players play on 7ft table tourneys?

Should pro players play on 7 ft table tourneys?

• No

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Given the dearth of pool tournaments in the US these days, if you prohibit pros from playing events with 7' tables, they won't be able to make a living at it and therefore won't be pros anymore and thus able to play events with 7' tables.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am saying they should not be playing in amateur and open events
If they play 7ft in pro tourneys or in pro invitationals, I have no issue with that :D

By this post it sounds like the question should be "Should Pros be allowed to play in open tournaments" as it doesn't look like you have a problem with them playing on a bb if it's only against other pros.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure.

I'd say they play where the money is. We're all about the money in Louisiana.

attachment.php

Oh, and that's on Valley bar tables too.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
bar tables

I don't think anyone should play on 7' tables but that's me. Call me crazy, everyone else does, refer to my avatar

The bar table introduced millions of people to the game of pool in the '60 and '70s that otherwise would never have started playing. Without them there would be far fewer people playing today. Mosconi was promoting bar tables in 1965.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
open events

Am saying they should not be playing in amateur and open events
If they play 7ft in pro tourneys or in pro invitationals, I have no issue with that :D

"Open" events, by definition, means that they are open to all players.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Sure.

I'd say they play where the money is. We're all about the money in Louisiana.

attachment.php

Oh, and that's on Valley bar tables too.

Dave,

Why would you want to go and confuse those BB haters with the facts :thumbup: ? There is more money available on the BB's than on the big tables. Big or small, I'd go where the money is! Evidentally, the purists hate making money. It's all about the traditions of the game. Guess I'll take the money. Remember, as my signature line goes, I'm a banger!

Lyn

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The bar table introduced millions of people to the game of pool in the '60 and '70s that otherwise would never have started playing. Without them there would be far fewer people playing today. Mosconi was promoting bar tables in 1965.

Thats exactly right and I was one of those kids. My life revolved around a bar box and a ton of kids trying to knock me off the table. The minute I was off I was putting another quarter down.

When the recreation center disappeared that was the beginning of the demise we see now. Bring those back and in 10 yrs you will see another fresh crop of players that are now adults wanting something to do after work.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By this post it sounds like the question should be "Should Pros be allowed to play in open tournaments" as it doesn't look like you have a problem with them playing on a bb if it's only against other pros.

Yes I mean the bigger questions should be "Should pros play v amateurs / bangers / dead money/non-pros in tourneys". BB tourneys have lots of non -pros. Pros should be separated from non- pros . In pool majority of tourneys allow pros and non- pros to play creating a high % dead money. Sure it is great pickings for the pros but how do you get better when you play against those minions below your level ?
In chess ELO rating , your ratings goes up more if you beat someone with higher rating than you but it barely moves much if you beat players below your rating.
:grin:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did a bad job of wording the question lol should they play or aloud to play are to different things. I find pros on a bar box had to watch. 9 ball just becomes a breaking competition because they never seem to miss lol. 8 ball with the clusters becomes a Bit more interesting.

Last edited:

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Answer: YES

Pros should compete on all size tables. Many pros have commented that 8 Ball on a 7 foot table is way tougher and requires more skill than 8 Ball on a 9 foot table.
Also, pros competing on a bar table helps connect them with their fan base which is mostly made up of amateurs who play league on bar tables. I personally would much rather see two pros playing on a bar table than on a 10 foot table.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Barbox eightball is not tougher, it's different..

Answer: YES

Pros should compete on all size tables. Many pros have commented that 8 Ball on a 7 foot table is way tougher and requires more skill than 8 Ball on a 9 foot table.
Also, pros competing on a bar table helps connect them with their fan base which is mostly made up of amateurs who play league on bar tables. I personally would much rather see two pros playing on a bar table than on a 10 foot table.

Barbox eightball is not tougher, it's different. It may be tougher to runout at the higher levels but it's easier to pot balls. Because the best players are still capable of running out, at the higher levels it becomes a game of more pinpoint skill because you have to be able to control more balls in a closer area and you have to know how to play the game better and make the right shot selections.

I started playing league two sessions ago for the first time. I ONLY play eightball league because rotation on a barbox is a joke except against the highest caliber players on the toughest equipment and even then it becomes a BNR fest...

Jaden

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
The 2015 World Series will be held in Williamsport P.A. Home of the Little League World Series at the Howard J. Lamade Stadium.

I predict it's the St Louis Cardinals against the 12 year olds from The Bahamas.
I pick the Cards; I think they have the pitching.

Remove the variables from table to table and it's Mini Pool.
Unfortunately that’s the way it is heading and where the cash is.

The days when you had to step up to get into the big leagues is coming to an end, along with the Houseman.

Mini pool is where I first picked up a cue, now I can't watch it for 10 minutes; I don't care if Greenleaf and Mosconi come back from the grave. The mighty dollar will dictate the direction.
Sincerely: SS

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BB used to be cool term standing for Bridgitte Bardot, Beach Boys, Baby, Bugs Bunny, Beautiful Babes
These days it ain't cool anymore cos now BB =
Bonus Ball
Barry Behrmann
BarBox
:D

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I think that pros should not be allow to play on barboxes in competitive events. And personally I hate watching those matches. They are always pretty boring. They should only play on 9 footers or bigger IN COMPETITIVE EVENTS.

Last edited: