Show your Sneaky Petes, no matter how plain they are.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone please post a pic of a Southwest sneaky?
This was my take on a Southwest "inspired" cue. I don't think they made sneakies. It's a hand rubbed oil and wax finish. Extra length butt with a compound taper.

I have two shafts I didn't make that I use on this cue. One is a Tascarella curly shaft. I can't afford a real tasc or sw, so this way I can kind of enjoy elements of both makers.
5e825637727b6623b9dede3ca7d4c94c.jpg
c8ad5f25fbd582285af19a9f0c7e358c.jpg

Estes Dave

Registered
Kind of a sneaky! it's a great one

Attachments

• DSC_9189 (2).jpg sm.jpg
    DSC_9189 (2).jpg sm.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_9190 (2).jpg sm.jpg
    DSC_9190 (2).jpg sm.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 142

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and make it a 6 point that would be off the charts.
readthis.gif

In case it was not registered, cues in my post #157 are both 6 point FS.
Ebony, bloodwood.

I think it is a sneaky way to make "sneakies" because most people don't see it. Even takes some a bit of time to get when shown.
OTOH they were also my first attempt at adding intentional decoration at the butt end, so otherwise not a pure sneaky.

smt

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
In case it was not registered, cues in my post #157 are both 6 point FS.
Ebony, bloodwood.

I think it is a sneaky way to make "sneakies" because most people don't see it. Even takes some a bit of time to get when shown.
OTOH they were also my first attempt at adding intentional decoration at the butt end, so otherwise not a pure sneaky.

smt
Hey smt
Did you ever finish that 6 point Honduras Rosewood sneaky you were working on? Thank you
Jeff

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff -

I;ve been busy, but not on pool cues. :(
This winter bought new boots, hopped back on my old skis, and started back up after a 12 year lapse. From beginning of Feb through last Friday my focus was on what ski area had seniors rates or the best snow that day. :) Often down at Elk, not too far from you? The snow is melting, so last saturday i traded the skis for strapping on an airplane again after a shorter lapse, and have been focusing on that with an instructor/airline pilot to get current again.

In between all the play-dates, still working on the home renovations to install the almost completed 1926 BBC 9' table. Still too much to do. Basically i finished the structural steel and concrete in the cellar, the plumbing that was a problem in the walls and that the whole system failed the day before Xmas (replace all copper with plastic everywhere). Mostly done the HVAC. Still electric to go. Then maybe the simple stuff, like start closing up the stud walls again.

Oh, and one paying job completed that will go for renovations at the National Gallery of Art.

Did i make enough excuses??? :)

Did join a NAPA league again, first games this week, so will see if i even remember how to hold a cue, let alone play.....

No, seriously, thanks for asking, but the stick is on a far back burner.
Part of the issue is as you & I discussed, i am about convinced to core it. Did get a half dozen gun drills in the fall.
That's about where things are and probably will stay for a while.

smt

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Since this thread has been revived and I look back through it I feel compelled to educate the pool world.

If your cue has joint collars, veneers on the points or decorative rings of any kind it's not a sneaky pete.

This thread should be about 4 posts long.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since this thread has been revived and I look back through it I feel compelled to educate the pool world.

If your cue has joint collars, veneers on the points or decorative rings of any kind it's not a sneaky pete.

This thread should be about 4 posts long.

And what fun would that be?

I think a simple joint collar or buttcap isn't going to change the nature of what a sneaky pete is. Veneers definitely, joint collars, technically a fancy pete I'll give you that... But Nobody should be fooled by a sneaky these days unless they're a total dummy. Have you ever heard anyone call it by the correct classification of a "house cue conversion"? Too many syllables. A sneaky is a sneaky is a sneaky. Just like not all tissues are Kleenex, but what do you ask for when you have a boogie that needs a'blowin?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what fun would that be?

I think a simple joint collar or buttcap isn't going to change the nature of what a sneaky pete is. Veneers definitely, joint collars, technically a fancy pete I'll give you that... But Nobody should be fooled by a sneaky these days unless they're a total dummy. Have you ever heard anyone call it by the correct classification of a "house cue conversion"? Too many syllables. A sneaky is a sneaky is a sneaky. Just like not all tissues are Kleenex, but what do you ask for when you have a boogie that needs a'blowin?
The days of hustlers sneaking up on people with Sneaky Petes are long gone.

I have a cheap Players Sneaky Pete that is a “true” Sneaky and I have a Murray Tucker that is a little fancier.

I prefer the Tucker.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
The days of hustlers sneaking up on people with Sneaky Petes are long gone.

I have a cheap Players Sneaky Pete that is a “true” Sneaky and I have a Murray Tucker that is a little fancier.

I prefer the Tucker.
Me too, my Tucker plays really well (as does my Lambros, the BlackCreek, and PFD, a few that stand out from the rest in my full splice collection).

I have about 7 cues that could be called "true" sneaky petes, 2 Dufferin Phantoms, 3 Schemlkies, the Gracio and the Davis-blank-??? (although it has a hoppe ring so maybe not in the "true" category).

Dave

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Picked up this one in a win yesterday, probably action brand. Like my players.
It's dead straight, and the wood is why I picked this one,hard to get in a photo but it's real shiney and pretty

I like sneaky pete's what can I say

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-04-09-24-39-602.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-04-09-24-39-602.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 144