Sid System Question

Elmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using the Sid System, where does the contact point begin on the end rail. Each diamond is labeled 10, 20, 30, 40.... But where is 1??? Is it the corner diamond or how does this work? Using the corner as zero doesn't look correct.

Thanks for any input!

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Using the Sid System, where does the contact point begin on the end rail. Each diamond is labeled 10, 20, 30, 40.... But where is 1??? Is it the corner diamond or how does this work? Using the corner as zero doesn't look correct.

Thanks for any input!

The first two diamonds are whole # 1 and 2, the rest are by 1/2. 2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2, 4, 4 1/2, 5..
Mark

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes but on the end rail the diamonds are 10, 20, 30, 40.... Where is zero.... What is the starting point for the 10,20,30,40?

On a 9 foot table its roughly 12.5 inches from the first diamond towards the corner. It actually begins at the tip of the rubber on the long rail. The long rail rubber tip is zero.... Hope that makes sense....

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those who are wondering what "System Sid" is, here is the diagram from Walt Harris's book, "Billiard Atlas". To hit a spot on the second cushion, multiply the number for the spot by how many diamonds the cue ball is from point X. In the example, the target is 2.5 and the cue ball (Q) is 3 diamonds from X so the target is 7.5 on the short rail. Note that the short rail (M) is numbered 10 to the diamond, the second rail has a variable numbering that you have to memorize, and the rail you are shooting from (O) is numbered in units to multiply with. Harris recommends renumbering the O rail according to the second rail number, so in the example it would be numbered 0, 2.5, 5.0 and 7.5 starting from X.

If you work out the geometry in detail, the numbers on the second rail are off a little but as listed they are easy to remember.
Harris 002.jpg

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who are wondering what "System Sid" is, here is the diagram from Walt Harris's book, "Billiard Atlas". To hit a spot on the second cushion, multiply the number for the spot by how many diamonds the cue ball is from point X. In the example, the target is 2.5 and the cue ball (Q) is 3 diamonds from X so the target is 7.5 on the short rail. Note that the short rail (M) is numbered 10 to the diamond, the second rail has a variable numbering that you have to memorize, and the rail you are shooting from (O) is numbered in units to multiply with. Harris recommends renumbering the O rail according to the second rail number, so in the example it would be numbered 0, 2.5, 5.0 and 7.5 starting from X.

If you work out the geometry in detail, the numbers on the second rail are off a little but as listed they are easy to remember.
View attachment 260358

Nice diagram! I think some people are under the misconception that the corner diamond is further down. It actually begins at the tip of the rubber as shown... :)

Madison

Registered
Does the System Sid only work if you are shooting from a short rail (rail O) into the other short rail (rail M)? Is there numbering for the long rail on the left side of the table if I am shooting from there into short rail (M)? If not, is there another diamond system for that shot? Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does the System Sid only work if you are shooting from a short rail (rail O) into the other short rail (rail M)? Is there numbering for the long rail on the left side of the table if I am shooting from there into short rail (M)? If not, is there another diamond system for that shot? Thanks

Yes, there is a simple extension to long-rail first shots. For that kind of shot I think it's easier and more accurate to construct the mirrored target.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 260358

Thanks Bob for the explanation of the "System Sid".

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for any input!

The Sid System along with other kicking systems is covered in this video and well worth the $8.99. Over 153 minutes of instruction.

http://www.zerox-billiards.com/pool-lessons-kicking-tips-secrets-of-pool.html

Enjoy.:smile:

John

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, there is a simple extension to long-rail first shots. For that kind of shot I think it's easier and more accurate to construct the mirrored target.
I agree. And there are several easy ways to do this visually, without any numbers or calculations, as demonstrated in the following video:

NV E.7 - Mirror Kick-Shot Aiming System, from HAPS III

For more info, and for demonstrations of related systems, see:

equal-distance mirror kick-shot aiming systems

Enjoy,
Dave

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx for the links Dave. Pretty easy to learn and remember. I was just watching A very long and poorly instructed DVDs on kicking systems the last two nights wishing for better.

If anyone else has any links or wants to trade instructional DVDs/accustats dvds please share or pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk