Side pocket drills?

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both my brother and I have the same issue on side pocket shots. either just a little undercut or it hits the nipple and bounces out. Anyone have suggestions for side pocket shots, or how to "aim" side pocket cut shots? It's annoying to consistently miss an entirely makeable shot.

NB-DOWNUNDER

Wild West Lone Ranger
Where abouts are you aiming on the side pocket? If you're hitting the jaw that is closest to you, which I think you from what you explained then I assume you're aiming at the back of the pocket.
Try aiming at the front of the pocket, and slightly towards the jaw to the rear.
If you find that the ball is hitting this jaw, and then being spat back out - it's probably the speed you've made your shot.
I'm not an instructor, I'm just lurking this forum, as I've got a post here that I'm following. But I'm sure I can help out.
Just grabbing a picture for you.

NB-DOWNUNDER

Wild West Lone Ranger
Both my brother and I have the same issue on side pocket shots. either just a little undercut or it hits the nipple and bounces out. Anyone have suggestions for side pocket shots, or how to "aim" side pocket cut shots? It's annoying to consistently miss an entirely makeable shot.

Spocket.png

So when you have a shot like this, do you usually hit the jaw of the pocket marked A, or B?

Spocket2.png

You can see that if you aim at the back, you will almost always certainly clip the edge of the Jaw B.

If you're hitting Jaw A and bouncing IN towards the pocket and coming back out, then it's probably speed.

If you're hitting Jaw A and bouncing OUT and AWAY from the side pocket completely then it's probably something to do with aiming or adjusting for throw. Which is something beyond my explanation - I know it, but I'd probably confuse you if I tried explaining it to you.

An instructor should be able to clarify

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
nice pics ^^^^
not a hi jack but maybe somone can post the diamond land marks from which the angle to the side pocket makes the shot impossible or very difficult

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Guys, this isn't rocket science. Set up shots in the side pocket and practice shooting them. You'll figure it out in no time at all.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the advice. I understand what you're saying about aiming at a certain point inside the pocket. Fran, trust me. I've tried. There's something wrong with the way I'm aiming the shots and I can't figure it out. I would say I have the most trouble with balls behind the head/foot string. I keep hitting the far corner and the object ball ends up downtable. I initially used to aim the center of the cue ball toward the pocket without success. then i tried lining up the inside edge of the object ball to the corresponding edge of the pocket, and I've had very limited success with that. somebody said something about aiming for the screws or where the felt meets the molding, yeah. didn't work either.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Fran says, you just need to set up shots and practice. Every table has a limit based on the way the pockets are cut, on most tables you can make a ball that's lined up from the middle of the end rail into the side pocket, but on some that can be very tricky and requires careful speed control. On easier tables you can line up about 1/2 diamond closer to the same side corner pocket and still barely make it.

So keep this limit in mind, and visualize the path that the object ball must take, the inside edge has to clear the closest point and the outside edge has to clear the outermost point. Hitting softly into the facing is your limit. Put some balls on the head/foot spot and line up the cue ball straight in and get a feel for it, then move the cue ball to various cut angles. Do some progressive drills, put the object ball in the middle of the table with the cue ball up table and keep moving the object ball closer and closer to the end rails. Practice, practice, practice.

Scott

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the big deal? After all, it IS her name! :confused: For example, I'll call you Rick, because that's your name...even though I don't know you from Adam! :D Someone's posting history has no relevance to how you address someone...at least in terms of name.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You just signed on 2-15-13 & you call Ms. Crimi... 'fran'.

Interesting.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith...There's only two ways to miss a shot. Line up poorly (alignment), or stroke poorly. You may have some stroke issues that cause you to miss. You may be lining up with cuestick where you're not perceiving a straight line (hint...it is not always under your dominant eye, for some folks). A good instructor can do a video analysis for you, and tell you which it is (could be parts of both), and help you correct the problem. Hope this helps! :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
What's the big deal? After all, it IS her name! :confused: For example, I'll call you Rick, because that's your name...even though I don't know you from Adam! :D Someone's posting history has no relevance to how you address someone...at least in terms of name.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You missed the real point as you so often do.

It's about the truth & nothing but the truth.

Last edited: