Silly BCA eight ball question

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
To answer 2 questions:
1. If you make all the balls of one suit, yes you may make the 8 and win. If you miss the 8.....the table is still open.

2. To the other question about making stripes on the break and then playing safe, would the player have stripes? No. You can't establish a group with a safety. The table would still be open

THANKS!
JoeyA

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP specifically said BCA 8 ball. 8 on the break in BCA spots up or breaker gets a re-rack if he did not foul, breakers option.

Right. Which is why I said "No, you don't" in response to Skippy27 who said "When you break and make the 8 you have not established a set either and you win..."
Subsequently, I don't understand why KMRunout would quote my post. Unless he was refering to the "silly" part of the title, and the citing of an APA rule being silly, but I don't think the question is silly at all.

onepocket1

Champion Sweater
Silver Member
Talking with my teammates yesterday one of the guys asked this silly question.
You just broke the balls playing eight ball with BCA rules. You made all the solids on the break and the eight ball is still on the table.
Question is, can you now shoot at the eight since you still haven't established a set yet by pocketing another ball? If so, what happens if you miss it?

Frank, This happened to me. I made all 7 stripes on the break - was hooked on the 8 - and kicked it in.
This was "you are what you make". If it was "open" after the break, I would have tried to
run out. It was the strangest break have ever seen. All stripes and no solids!!!

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the BCA rule book in the back under clarifications and rulings: there is a paragraph where if the groups have not been established by the time one group is completely gone, either player may shoot at the 8-ball.

Seems we have a winner. :thumbup:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank, This happened to me. I made all 7 stripes on the break - was hooked on the 8 - and kicked it in.
This was "you are what you make". If it was "open" after the break, I would have tried to
run out. It was the strangest break have ever seen. All stripes and no solids!!!

Wow Kenny, I need some breaking lessons.

Jdale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talking with my teammates yesterday one of the guys asked this silly question.
You just broke the balls playing eight ball with BCA rules. You made all the solids on the break and the eight ball is still on the table.
Question is, can you now shoot at the eight since you still haven't established a set yet by pocketing another ball? If so, what happens if you miss it?

I didn't look at the rule book before responding.
IMHO, you would have two ways to go after making all of one group on the break.
1) If you shoot the eight and make it, you've declared the group that was made on the break.
2) You would also have the option of shooting at the group still left on the table.

How you been Frank,
Dale

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't look at the rule book before responding.
IMHO, you would have two ways to go after making all of one group on the break.
1) If you shoot the eight and make it, you've declared the group that was made on the break.
2) You would also have the option of shooting at the group still left on the table.

How you been Frank,
Dale

Hey Dale, haven't seen you since Reno. Are you coming to Vegas for the BCA?

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the BCA rule book in the back under clarifications and rulings: there is a paragraph where if the groups have not been established by the time one group is completely gone, either player may shoot at the 8-ball.

Well, until you mentioned this I was going to suggest to be a gangsta and just pocket all the solids and then the 8 ... run the entire table in a game of 8 ball and brag for the rest of your life.