Silly me -- forgot my cue in the sun

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
This is so typical me -- I was recently in L.A. and accidentally forgot my dear Longoni (the one with leather strips) inside the car, and it sat there, underneath the rear window, for two days in a heat-wave. When I later pulled it out, I was appalled to find that the cue's finish had turned all cloudy (can barely see through the milky murk).

I wonder if it's easy enough to fix this? And since I don't care too much for the original thick & glossy "plastic" lacquer, I was hoping that it might be possible to do a linseed-oil type finish (like my Parris cue) which perhaps will revive its beautiful wood even more than the original finish.

-- peer

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Peer said:
This is so typical me -- I was recently in L.A. and accidentally forgot my dear Longoni (the one with leather strips) inside the car, and it sat there, underneath the rear window, for two days in a heat-wave. When I later pulled it out, I was appalled to find that the cue's finish had turned all cloudy (can barely see through the milky murk).

I wonder if it's easy enough to fix this? And since I don't care too much for the original thick & glossy "plastic" lacquer, I was hoping that it might be possible to do a linseed-oil type finish (like my Parris cue) which perhaps will revive its beautiful wood even more than the original finish.

-- peer
here's what the sun did to a friend of mine's cue
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=104412

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
That's just flat out...:eek: :rolleyes: :frown: , but in any event, a good refinish these days runs about $200...Tom

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
Peer said:

-- peer

You are hereby banned from owning cues of any value for 90 days.

-cue police-

soulcatcher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why I NEVER leave my cue in my car. If I am going to play after work, and I bring the cue in the morning, it comes into work with me. Not to mention the increased chance of warping the shaft/butt.

HittMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
somehing to consider

Actually you may want to hang it.

Most epoxies begin to degrade somewhere around 140 degrees F. It is very likely the cue may have reached temperatures near this. Inlays have a nasty habit of popping out under these circumstances so it might be a good idea to recoat the cue with a quality plastic finish (clear coat).

JMO. You be the judge

Hittman

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard the expensive clear coat put on cars works well for finishing cues. The clear coat doesn't crack and get damaged with the extreme temperature changes.

Darth-Pinoy

Registered
Leaving your cue out in extremely hot weather and all you got damaged was the finish?

Consider yourself lucky!

But I do suggest you examine your cue again...closer this time. What they said about the inlays (if any popping out) is true. And no matter how well your cue was made, the inherent properties of wood is still vulnerable to extreme temperatures. Chances are, your cue might already have warped. So check again your butt/s and shaft/s.

Should you not find any more discrepancies...I say again...consider yourself lucky and don't do that again if you love your cue.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Peer said:

-- peer

I recommend a good sunless tanner. You get the same result, but without the long-term damage.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second to storing your cue in the swimming pool, keeping your cue in the car is the worst place to store it.

accidents happen, if its still straight, just have it refinished and you'll be fine and lession learned.

best of luck

P.S. I had a hatch back car in 85 and set my cue on the trunk Backed up and drove 22 miles to the pool room, I reached over to grab it and it wasnt there, I realized that I left it on the back of the car. I drove back home-my heart was heavy I knew that I set it close to the left side if the car-close to the wheels. I drove fast not that would fix the problem but I couldnt stand the suspence, It was a gravel drive way. The cue was a gift from my dad a Mc Dermott D-26. Needless to say it was a long drive.I pulled in it was a long gravel road, I saw the McDermott 1X2 coffin case laying there in perfect condition, the tire marks in the driveway were about 2" from disaster. I probably would have felt it, I had the music up loud so I wouldnt have heard it. I never made that mistake again, at that time I had been playing for about a year. Shit happens. These days whan I'm in a pool room I take my cue to the restroom, i'm super careful-dosent matter if its a $150 cue or a Szam.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigjohn said:

-cue police-

Good one :grin-square:

How about permanently?! What moron puts their cue up where every person passing by can see it? Only in CA I reckon.

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
Second to storing your cue in the swimming pool, keeping your cue in the car is the worst place to store it. Accidents happen, if its still straight, just have it refinished and you'll be fine and lession learned.

Well here's basically what happened (and perhaps an insight into how my puny brain works). Since I was driving my two seater (the "spit-loogie" roadster for those who remember that episode) I didn't have much space and thus decided to only bring one cue in a 1x1 case that would fit nicely behind the roll-bar, directly below the rear (plastic) window. But since I also brought a poop-load of expensive film/video equipment that I needed to guard with my life, I simply forgot that I initially put the cue there. Actually, it didn't dawn on me until one day after coming back from L.A. that the cue was still in my car.

Bigjohn said:
-cue police-

The irony is that I've almost been religious about not leaving my cues in the car, day or night, but I guess I have now contracted some sort of dementia, perhaps Alzheimer's Light -- hence, I'll accept that 90 days penalty Bigjohn (aka the Cue Police) issued, unless I receive my super-swank custom Parris before then, (which isn't very likely since I've now been waiting for that thing for over 9 months ;^\

Anywho, for those how don't know me in person, I can also tell that there's almost no connection between my brain and my impulsions -- for instance, in the middle of the night I often get this urge to work on and/or "modify" stuff, whether it's furniture, clothes, motorcycle, or my cues, there seem to always be something that "needs" to be fixed when I'm supposed to sleep. As a kid they blamed this behavior on excessive sleepwalking & sleep deprivation, nowadays I think the only excuse is insanity. So in this case, in the middle of the night, I got some varnish remover and started to strip the lacquer off the cue... and about 9 hours later I had a cue with no varnish... looking like hell.

As soon as I came to my senses, I contacted Ryan Theewen (Ratcues) and I'm now in the process of convincing him to refinish it (he knows this cue from before) -- the sticky point, however, are the delicate leather strips wrapping. (Btw, if there are other cuemakers around who think they can & will do this, feel free to PM me.)

-- peer

Jack Montgomery

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn man! Sounds like your cue has fallen into the trap of many Americans: not knowing how to prevent skin cancer from prolonged sun exposure. I'd take your cue and yourself to a dermatologist in the area as soon as possible!

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Peer said:
As soon as I came to my senses, I contacted Ryan Theewen (Ratcues) and I'm now in the process of convincing him to refinish it (he knows this cue from before) -- the sticky point, however, are the delicate leather strips wrapping. (Btw, if there are other cuemakers around who think they can & will do this, feel free to PM me.)

-- peer

I can do it......all depends on what you want to spend. ;)