Silver Fox case?

NewGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have one of these cases? Are they good or bad? Looking at them online, they seem very nice... but then again a lot of crappy products look good on the internet.

JPB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NewGuy said:
Anyone have one of these cases? Are they good or bad? Looking at them online, they seem very nice... but then again a lot of crappy products look good on the internet.

Not bad. I have one and mostly put carom type cues in it that don't fit in other stuff. They will hold a lot of cues and cues with long or thick shafts. I wouldn't put a really expensive cue in one because it is a soft case. I think it is decent protection for most normal things that could happen to cues, but I wouldn't try running over one with a car or really subjecting it to major abuse. Many billiard players use butterfly type cases to hold a lot of shafts (billiard shafts often don't fit in regular cases very well) and they don't seem to have problems. If you have regular pool cues I would probably go with something else that offers more protection. A vinyl instroke costs more than a silver fox, but offers more protection. (I have both FWIW) If you like to carry 3 butts and 8 shafts and a jump butt, the silver fox is good.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I like mine

NewGuy said:

I've had one for perhaps 4 years. It gets regular use hauling cues from home to the hall and back. No problems so far, everything is well built and it has held up well. OK, the velcro on one of the pockets (the smaller top one that I put chalk into) is getting a bit weak, but I think that velcro just wears out after a while. My only concern in that the cue pockets inside the case are a bit thin (like a moderate weight rip-stop nylon). Having said that, the cues don't move around as the case itself is nicely padded and lined. I also find that it is a bit tight if you try to put 3 butts and 3 shafts into it (although it has liner pockets for that).

I'd buy another for local travel with two cues, but as mentioned, it is not as protective as a hard case.

Dave

Walt in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used one for 3 or 4 years,and like it because of the capacity; I carry two cues and a couple of extra shafts and have room for customer's cues I pick up for tip/repair work. Also, the pocket capacity is tremendous. The padded side panel stiffeners provide some protection if you don't throw it around, but it's clearly not in the Instroke-type class in that regard. Mine travels on the back seat, not in the trunk. Quality and workmanship seems high. One minor downside; you need space to lay it down to open it, as opposed to standing it up while extracting the cues.

Walt in VA

Rackin_Zack

Suffering from OCBD
Silver Member
NewGuy said:
Thanks for the replies. The one I was looking at (BR 33 all the way at the bottom of the page) seems like it's a hard case. Not sure though, since it doesn't specify.

http://www.hawleys.com/SilverFox/SilverFox.htm

NewGuy, it actually does specify that it's a hard case:

Silver Fox Case BR 33
Hard 2X4 Case With Soft Nylon Lining
Five Pockets
33" L X 5" W X 4" D

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have the BR2. It's actually a medium-hard case. It's not a soft case b/c it has much better lining than the usual soft cases around.
It's not a hard case b/c it does not have any tubes.
I really like it. Not too heavy and offers enough protection for my cues.

NewGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rackin_Zack said:
NewGuy, it actually does specify that it's a hard case:

Silver Fox Case BR 33
Hard 2X4 Case With Soft Nylon Lining
Five Pockets
33" L X 5" W X 4" D

DOH! I'm an idiot! :D

Walt in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NewGuy said:
The one I was looking at (BR 33 all the way at the bottom of the page) seems like it's a hard case.
Like Joey, mine is the BR-2, and I haven't had any experience with their hard cases, but the pocket layout looks similar to mine, and you can carry a TON of stuff in them!
Walt in VA

SPetty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NewGuy said:
The one I was looking at (BR 33 all the way at the bottom of the page) seems like it's a hard case.
Howdy NewGuy,

I'll be stopping by Hawley's tomorrow. If you have any specific questions about it, I'd be glad to ask or look at the case for you...

NewGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SPetty said:
Howdy NewGuy,

I'll be stopping by Hawley's tomorrow. If you have any specific questions about it, I'd be glad to ask or look at the case for you...

Thanks SPettey, but I don't really have any specific questions. I just wanted to get a general idea whether people thought they were good or total crap. The reason I started this whole topic was because I had the option of getting one of these cases (at a discount) with the new cue I just bought. I've decided to go with the one that looks like the BR 29 except it's a 3X5 instead of 2X2. I can't wait to get my cue... it should be here sometime next week. :D

Drake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned the Silver Fox 4 by 8 and I found it to be to flimsy. The outer shells are actually cardboard inserts. The case that holds everything except the kitchen sink is the Joe Porper VIP 4 by 8. The outside inserts are a hard ABS plastic that feels pretty durable compared to the silver fox.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I like by BR-2 just fine now that I "customized" it. I put tubes in it. Best of both worlds. Lots of pocket space, light weight and full protection.