Simple cue designs you love. Woods and simple ring work.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simple cue designs you love? Woods and simple ring work.

I am having a simple custom made, and looking for some ideas. I am not going to go with splices or inlays, but just simple wood grains and ring work. Post up some pics of simple designs you like.

Right now I know I want some curly maple, and then maybe figured Cocobolo and/or Bubinga.

Last edited:

Johnsms3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purpleheart points with some colored verneers into some high grade birdseye maple looks really good.

Never been a huge fan of all the radical inlay work they do now, I think it takes away from the beauty of the wood.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm partial to abe rich ebony forearm, "silver"
rings above wrap, at joint collars and black "plastic butt sleeve with three "silver" rings . no bumper.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Lambros makes some of the best examples of merry widows as in the coco example below.

Also pics of a Bubinga merry that Dave in Oregon is building and I think looking really nice. It is unfinished, just turned even at this point.

Attachments

• Exa,ple Coco mapble butt.jpg
    Exa,ple Coco mapble butt.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,928
  • Example Coco Maple.jpg
    Example Coco Maple.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,548
  • Oregon_in_progress.jpg
    Oregon_in_progress.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 2,550
  • Oregon_in progress2.jpg
    Oregon_in progress2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,522
Last edited:

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Lambros makes some of the best examples of merry widows as in the coco example below.

Also pics of a Bubinga merry that Dave in Oregon is building and I think looking really nice. It is unfinished, just turned even at this point.

I love these. I am having Dave build the cue. So far my idea was very similar to what you have him making so that is good and bad news haha. I was hoping he could do coco but he seems to work with bubinga a lot. I still need to talk to him about finalizing the cue, we have just been speaking via email and I needed to measure my case and decide a few things. Glad to see the work he is doing for you is turning out so well.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love these. I am having Dave build the cue. So far my idea was very similar to what you have him making so that is good and bad news haha. I was hoping he could do coco but he seems to work with bubinga a lot. I still need to talk to him about finalizing the cue, we have just been speaking via email and I needed to measure my case and decide a few things. Glad to see the work he is doing for you is turning out so well.

He might have some cocobolo, we discussed using it for the rings but I am not sure if he has handle and forearm ready pieces of it. I know he has Jatoba, and Wenge which would also work really well, and many other woods. He is an awesome guy to work with and super excited about building cues. I am pretty amazed at how well it is turning out. Very excited to get it. His build philosophy is really fascinating. He buys trees and cuts them into parts that he turns down to usable components over several years. very similar to the way shafts are made. They are almost to perfect size, full aged and moved and he can build cues quickly just putting the pieces together. He does not fully core the cues. I have talked to a few people and heard nothing but raves. Have not hit with his cue yet, hopefully they play as well as I have heard.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
simple

Here's one I am finishing up for a friend. He gave me a wood lathe when I started out. I can't make cues on it - but I can sand on it. So - I am making him this cue to show my appreciation. Birdseye forend and buttsleeve, apple wood handle, and cocobola joint and buttcap. Coco/holly / coco rings at all positions. He is a carpenter. I figured that he has made his living with wood - so the cue should be entirely wood.

Attachments

• 20161218_001738.jpg
    20161218_001738.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 2,596
  • 20161218_001604.jpg
    20161218_001604.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 2,865
  • 20161218_001644.jpg
    20161218_001644.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 2,790
  • 20161218_001612.jpg
    20161218_001612.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 2,614

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He might have some cocobolo, we discussed using it for the rings but I am not sure if he has handle and forearm ready pieces of it. I know he has Jatoba, and Wenge which would also work really well, and many other woods. He is an awesome guy to work with and super excited about building cues. I am pretty amazed at how well it is turning out. Very excited to get it. His build philosophy is really fascinating. He buys trees and cuts them into parts that he turns down to usable components over several years. very similar to the way shafts are made. They are almost to perfect size, full aged and moved and he can build cues quickly just putting the pieces together. He does not fully core the cues. I have talked to a few people and heard nothing but raves. Have not hit with his cue yet, hopefully they play as well as I have heard.

Thanks for the kind words but I must make a correction.

When I was talking about the trees I cut down and used, it was for furniture, a large shop I built in the 90's and lots of beautiful Western Maple that I sold online years ago.

There is really no woods native to Oregon that I have used in cues except for rings and butt sleeves. I have enough Western Maple to build hundreds of cues but it just sits there for the most part.

I buy my woods directly from the importers practically across the street from the shipping ports. The cue you will be getting is made from woods I have owned for a few years. I treat all my woods like we treat our shafts, slowly turned down over the years.

You liked the Bubinga, I have enough on hand for at least 100 cues, it's all in handle and forearm size now. It sure looks better finished.

Thanks big time for the great compliments and smile with the correction.

Thanks again, Dave.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Applewood?

Here's one I am finishing up for a friend. He gave me a wood lathe when I started out. I can't make cues on it - but I can sand on it. So - I am making him this cue to show my appreciation. Birdseye forend and buttsleeve, apple wood handle, and cocobola joint and buttcap. Coco/holly / coco rings at all positions. He is a carpenter. I figured that he has made his living with wood - so the cue should be entirely wood.

Applewood hits fantastic, it's among the best woods I have ever worked with and it looks great. I would love to find more.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh hi Dave haha. Thanks for the clarification. I just left you a message and I'll follow up via email with the length etc.:D

Last edited:

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am having a simple custom made, and looking for some ideas. I am not going to go with splices or inlays, but just simple wood grains and ring work. Post up some pics of simple designs you like.

Right now I know I want some curly maple, and then maybe figured Cocobolo and/or Bubinga.

Search the Cue and case gallery in the Products Talk subforum. This will have everything you need.

My advice is to use the search function for keywords: Zylr, Joey Bautista, Guerra, Plain Janes, etc.... Here's a thread I started a long time ago you might like.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=372806&page=2

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
I tend to like darker woods, and snakewood is my absolute favorite figured wood. Something simple with a silver ring and nice woods makes a handsome cue.

4snake1b.jpg

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
I can't say enough about the work Aaron @ AA cue in Ellsworth Maine does.

Attachments

• merry widow 3.jpg
    merry widow 3.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,325
  • merry widow1.jpg
    merry widow1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,354
  • merry widow 2.jpg
    merry widow 2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2,380

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh hi Dave haha. Thanks for the clarification. I just left you a message and I'll follow up via email with the length etc.:D

Let us know what you decide on and maybe update this thread with pics when you get it. Good luck with your cue!

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
why haven't anyone mentioned JoeyinCali? simply wood plain cues with rings, that's him.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My playing cue, Rosewood and Amboyna Burl. Sorry about the pics, really need to read the "how to take pictures" thread.
IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just thought I would post a new in progress pic of the cue Dave is building. Coming out super nice. Interested to see yours when done.

Attachments

• IMG_00391.jpg
    IMG_00391.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 1,426