Simplified CTE

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No you don’t, with CTE. You do know exactly where the center of the CB must go to pocket the shot. When that is figured out (through perception practice) then your only task is to hit that one tick on the the CB that puts the ball in center pocket. I think your comment applies to ghost ball, which works fine for a lot of people. Basic CTE requires the head tilt only so you can line up one eye with the aim line and another with the sight line when you are close to the ball. Measure the distance between your pupils when looking squarely ahead. Then measure distance when tilted to one side or the other. Which one is smaller? This is the reason for the head tilt. If doing CTE Pro 1 method you find center cue ball from the ball address position (standing behind the shot) and come down right on the center cue ball that pockets the shot using your personal vision center (typically slightly to the right of your nose for right eye dominant players).
This must be why CTE guys never miss? Oh, and the flawless patterns. Truly amazing.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I call it the innate ability to pocket a ball without the use of a slide rule, computer, formula, or protractor.
Sounds like the exact opposite of what goes into every single shot taken by PJ. Not only are his encyclopedia of 2D drawings illustrating it in the library of posts in this forum, it's what he uses on all shots, preaches, and applies to other types of aiming for belittlement. It's also what went into the creation of Poolology which doesn't make it any more accurate because the visuals linking the two balls together can make one cross eyed trying to match fractions from one ball to another. But mathematically, it's POIFECT! (or so they say)

And CTE gets the bad rap? ROTFLMAO! It's as simple as A, B, and C because A, B, C and edges are what's used. That's IT!

It's been so nice and quiet in here until you got that wild hair up your you know what to blast something you know zero about.
Tsk, tsk, tsk. This is what is called "resurrecting a dead thread and posts" just to start another flame war.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like the exact opposite of what goes into every single shot taken by PJ. Not only are his encyclopedia of 2D drawings illustrating it in the library of posts in this forum, it's what he uses on all shots, preaches, and applies to other types of aiming for belittlement. It's also what went into the creation of Poolology which doesn't make it any more accurate because the visuals linking the two balls together can make one cross eyed trying to match fractions from one ball to another. But mathematically, it's POIFECT! (or so they say)

And CTE gets the bad rap? ROTFLMAO! It's as simple as A, B, and C because A, B, C and edges are what's used. That's IT!

It's been so nice and quiet in here until you got that wild hair up your you know what to blast something you know zero about.
Tsk, tsk, tsk. This is what is called "resurrecting a dead thread and posts" just to start another flame war.
There are just those that can’t get from Point “A” to Point “B” by using the shortest distance (i.e. a straight line) both literally and figuratively. They’ve found a way to consciously develop a mechanical method to solve their problem and never shift from the conscious to the subconscious.

Thresh

the visuals linking the two balls together can make one cross eyed trying to match fractions from one ball to another
So doing something simple like a half ball hit makes you cross eyed?

But you can use your mid faced vision center to find the no imaginary shot line after poking your head out to step the cue after using your parallax vision but not before choosing a 15, 30, 45, 60 degree perception to start with.

But a fraction like 1/2, 1,4.... That makes you cross eyed.

Yep...

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
There are just those that can’t get from Point “A” to Point “B” by using the shortest distance (i.e. a straight line) both literally and figuratively. They’ve found a way to consciously develop a mechanical method to solve their problem and never shift from the conscious to the subconscious.
The subconscious isn't always there functioning like it did a day or two earlier when pocketing balls was automatic. Why? Who knows? That's the way it works and is what it is even for the greatest pool players. Something is just off; nothing seems automatic and you go back to whatever got you there for the day.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Sounds like the exact opposite of what goes into every single shot taken by PJ. Not only are his encyclopedia of 2D drawings illustrating it in the library of posts in this forum, it's what he uses on all shots, preaches, and applies to other types of aiming for belittlement.
lol Well, it's not the first thing you got completely wrong.

As I've said many times here, I aim by feel, using contact points as my reference. Not that I expect you to actually comprehend that (or anything).

pj <- but you're not obsessed with me...
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
lol Well, it's not the first thing you got completely wrong.

As I've said many times here, I aim by feel, using contact points as my reference. Not that I expect you to actually comprehend that (or anything).
Yeah, but you've had something else wrong for 25 straight years. Won't admit it, continue to deny it, don't have a clue.

Ahhh yes, FEEL. That unexplainable visual mental combination that's the only thing that can't be put down in one of the bullsh*t 2D drawings you're so famous for when trying to rip something else apart. That FEEL of yours is so good that it's infallible. Should also be explainable by a wordsmith genius like yourself. What's the "feel" that says, "you got it man, stroke it."
Make a 2D "FEEL" drawing to show how it works every time.

Jpool1985

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Summary: CTE is essentially fractional aiming with the center-to-edge reference alignment added for more shot picture detail. CTE's complex instructions are mainly focused on how to visually integrate the added center-to-edge reference into the fractional shot picture. This is not intended to "rebut" CTE, but to suggest a simplified alternate version of it.

CTE and fractional aiming use the same reference alignments (A-B-C or 15-30-45) and the same adjustments (thicker-thinner or outside-inside) to get from the chosen fractional reference alignment to the final aim. With either method (as with all methods) practice builds consistency and confidence in choosing the reference alignment and adjusting from there.

CTE's refinement is to add the center-to-edge reference to the fractional reference to (1) provide a consistent "anchor reference" for each shot and (2) add visual detail to make the shot picture more distinct, recognizable and memorable.

Adding the center-to-edge reference to the picture is an interesting refinement, but I'd simplify its use. Rather than try to describe how to "see" it, I'd just use it as a consistent starting alignment for each shot, which would be enough to keep it in my "mind's eye" while aiming the shot. In other words, start each shot with a center-to-edge "orienting" alignment, then move to the chosen fractional/aimpoint reference alignment + final inside/outside adjustment.

pj
chgo

I use center to edge as a stand point, then I look base on angle from the cue ball to object ball to pocket to go into. I base on degree of 15,30, and 45. Depend on which side if I am going left so I use left edge of my tip/ferrule down onto B or C then Right Edge for sharp cut.. If I am going right I use right edge of tip/ferrule down onto A or B then Left Edge for sharp cut. I am always down half tip off center of the cue ball so I don't use lot of english(which realy don't need much) to avoid lot of swerve off my sight line.

I hope can understand how I do and if got any suggestion, feel free to PM or respond here. Thanks

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I use center to edge as a stand point, then I look base on angle from the cue ball to object ball to pocket to go into. I base on degree of 15,30, and 45. Depend on which side if I am going left so I use left edge of my tip/ferrule down onto B or C then Right Edge for sharp cut.. If I am going right I use right edge of tip/ferrule down onto A or B then Left Edge for sharp cut. I am always down half tip off center of the cue ball so I don't use lot of english(which realy don't need much) to avoid lot of swerve off my sight line.

I hope can understand how I do and if got any suggestion, feel free to PM or respond here. Thanks
So you start with a fractional overlap (3/4, 1/2, 1/4 = 15, 30, 45) and then use your tip to "measure" the adjustment from there to the actual aim line - that makes sense to me. But I wouldn't like being "always half tip off center" - I'd probably parallel-shift the cue back to center ball before shooting (unless I needed spin for shape).

pj
chgo

Jpool1985

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you start with a fractional overlap (3/4, 1/2, 1/4 = 15, 30, 45) and then use your tip to "measure" the adjustment from there to the actual aim line - that makes sense to me. But I wouldn't like being "always half tip off center" - I'd probably parallel-shift the cue back to center ball before shooting (unless I needed spin for shape).

pj
chgo
True, I see and agree with your point. I only use edge/ferrule to dial down adjustment on each of those spot( 15,30,45) depend on how the angle and balls are to the pocket. There are sometime I use center cue ball shooting on slight shot that almost straight or almost close to before the 15,30,45.

I feel with all different systems, we can have understanding of the system, just gotta invert little something for yourself in that system. Everyone is different on how they see and machinal wise. I am always open to learn new things even though I already got a system that work for me, I just get points of view from people cause never know, maybe one day someone come up a system that might be better for me and for other. Thanks for responding to me and keep playing well in your game.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all (except Brian) have a parallax error in our vision. By head shifting you can eliminate that error to come to a straight aim line (not to be confused with a shot line), how much you shift your head is a personal distance and should be tested by you through testing using the standard finger method. (closing one eye and opening the other etc.etc.) Head shifting distance is different for most. Might be 1/2" or a full 1".
The shot line is established by using A, B, C, or somewhere in between all you have to do is deliver a straight stroke.
Works for me. :)
John

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
We all (except Brian) have a parallax error in our vision. By head shifting you can eliminate that error to come to a straight aim line (not to be confused with a shot line), how much you shift your head is a personal distance and should be tested by you through testing using the standard finger method. (closing one eye and opening the other etc.etc.) Head shifting distance is different for most. Might be 1/2" or a full 1".

pj
chgo

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
CTE works better with Toam V-10 SUPER CHALK.

1645663059344.png

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
Yeah, I've seen that before. Rather than moving your head from one side of the cue to the other, what is the matter if from a standing position, you just shift your head, either right or left until you see the correct aim line.
What would be nice is if Dr. Dave would do a video just using a head shift from a standing position to arrive at an aim line and then dropping down on the shot line. That would be interesting.
John

John

phreaticus

Yeah, I've seen that before. Rather than moving your head from one side of the cue to the other, what is the matter if from a standing position, you just shift your head, either right or left until you see the correct aim line.
What would be nice is if Dr. Dave would do a video just using a head shift from a standing position to arrive at an aim line and then dropping down on the shot line. That would be interesting.
John

John
To me, this concept is pretty weird. I think the problem with what you are describing is that its adds moving parts to the biomechanical equation and is not consistent with how our body & visual processing system naturally works, nor is it consistent with any other sports approach that I'm aware of. Each person's center vision is their center vision and its quite easy to ID that line on our body, align & lock our stance on it consistently. Can you provide any links to anything in visual science or sports cognition/psychology literature that supports such a concept, and/or why it would be more beneficial to so, vs the more standard definition/approach such as the DD link provided above?

Parallax concepts & terms get thrown around a lot - but parallax (basic wikipedia def) is simply the 2 slightly different angles of vision created by our eyes being in different locations when viewing an object, and it's the basis of how we perform depth & distance perception and is what most of us refer to as "center vision". It is affected by each person's ratio of eye dominance and other physiological factors, but basically it's a product of where our eyes sit in our head, same for all creatures or systems which use binocular vision. It's very unclear to me why or how shifting your head will "eliminate parallax errors" - if anything, creating any additional offsets from your body's central stance with small head motions will cause more stereoptic noise & lead to other issues. I'm not attacking you, I'm just finding it pretty hard to understand the CTE guys concept of using head shifting to somehow correct something, and so far I've not seen any technical references (aside from Stan's book) offered up to explain it, but his book seems to be contain his own concepts - can anyone tell me if it provides references to 3rd party literature to support any of his visualization concepts? I've watched his newest videos, confess I find them pretty monotonous and only ref he mentions is Hal and haven't slogged through all of them. I'm not knocking Stan or Hal in any way, I find their stuff interesting but hard to grok, overly complicated, and doesn't align with any modern visual/sports references that I can find.

The fairly standard pool concept of learning how to align our stance to our individual center vision and locking that head/torso position is well documented. Then it becomes a question of align to what? I think the what should be either CTC or CTE, as center and edges of balls are the most clear, objective things we can clearly see on the balls. Defining additional parallel reference lines (ETE for CTC, and ETC for CTE) simply aids the process. Of course we can argue align to different things shotline, contact points, fractions, A, B, C, etc - and that's fine. But this head shifting and stepping the CB stuff is really a pretty vague concept - and so far I've seen no hints thats its rationally explained Stans book, but I don't have the book so I'm genuinely asking - are these head shifting/stepping concepts entirely self defined by Stan, or does he provide any 3rd party references to help us understand the rationale for how/why its said to work and what exact problem is it solving?

Thanks

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Rather than moving your head from one side of the cue to the other, what is the matter if from a standing position, you just shift your head, either right or left until you see the correct aim line.
I think we're talking about two alignments: where our eyes are over the cue and which way our head is turned (where we're facing). For me only one solution works: facing squarely down the aim line with the cue slightly toward my dominant eye.

pj
chgo