SJM at the 2023 Derby City Catastrophe

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr twister — I care about pool. Other sports not so much.

Btw, you did not answer my SIMPLE QUESTION Mr twister.

Mr twister? What is it with you?

Are you just incapable of carrying on a discussion without throwing out schoolyard names? There’s a simple question for you.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of poolrooms host tournaments and not all their tables are the same throughout the room — in fact especially if they have one “feature” table. It is quite possible the specs on that feature table are in fact different than the bulk of the tables out on the main floor.

I don’t believe that’s an issue in this case since at the DCC all the tables are coming from Diamond and they have total control of the equipment — whatever they do is a deliberate decision.

Lou Figueroa

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr twister? What is it with you?

Are you just incapable of carrying on a discussion without throwing out schoolyard names? There’s a simple question for you.

Lou Figueroa
You twisted my comment intentionally to imply I didn’t care about pool. You do that kind of thing all the time — and schoolyard insults are a specialty of yours too. Don’t start that sir. Double standard on the simple question I see, but why should I be surprised lol

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t believe that’s an issue in this case since at the DCC all the tables are coming from Diamond and they have total control of the equipment — whatever they do is a deliberate decision.

Lou Figueroa
The point is, it all fits with the lack of concrete standards for pool. Those slight variations are commonplace.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t care about other sports in this regard. So pick yes/no/maybe I don’t know or I don’t care. My answer was actually simple — pool does not have concrete specs. What other sport doesn’t have concrete specs?
Baseball. Every stadium has unique dimensions. A home run in one venue can be an easy out in another. It's one of the charms of the sport. (I readily admit that it's harder to find "charm" in varying pocket sizes.)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Small variations in equipment is fine imo. Can you imagine if all the specs said we had to have olhousen pockets, as an example? We’d be stuck with garbage.

Baseball changes what a home run is at every single stadium.

Don’t golf tournaments change the tee or cup location each round? (I’m only a casual golf fan I might be off).

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Small variations in equipment is fine imo. Can you imagine if all the specs said we had to have olhousen pockets, as an example? We’d be stuck with garbage.

Don’t golf tournaments change the tee or cup location each round? (I’m only a casual golf fan I might be off).
Agreed. I think the bigger problem is not having a standard set of rules. I've been teaching a lot of beginners the game recently (doing my small part to grow the sport) and I get asked questions like "if you scratch on the 8, is that a loss?" "if I make a solid on the break, aren't I solids?" "do I have to call my shot in 10 ball?" and the answer to every one of these questions is "it depends." Because it depends on the league/tournament/rule set you are playing under. It confounds newbies. I give them *my* preferred rules, which are usually the same as WPA, but you can still see it doesn't sit right with most people that there isn't just a basic set of rules to use.

Baseball, for it's variety with its fields, doesn't have 4 strikes be an out at times, or only two outs to an inning, or sometimes you tag up on a flyout and other times you can just run. Let's get the rules for pool standardized first, and then we can worry about whether or not pocket size differences per tournament is really a big deal, other than for pure logistics.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You twisted my comment intentionally to imply I didn’t care about pool. You do that kind of thing all the time — and schoolyard insults are a specialty of yours too. Don’t start that sir. Double standard on the simple question I see, but why should I be surprised lol

You said you did not care, I didn’t need to do anything, so there was no intent.

The rest is just your usual baloney.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In golf at least it’s the same size hole.

As to baseball, sure the stadiums are all different, but they don’t purposefully change things to make the game tougher mid series.

Lou Figueroa

chandler1968

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really enjoyed all aspects of the derby (first time in 20 years). I played poorly, however, every table I played on rolled nicely and was very fair. The pockets were a perfect size. SJM, sorry I missed introducing myself. I was eating the same time you were and didn't want to interrupt your meal. Enjoy your writeups. Jay

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I really enjoyed all aspects of the derby (first time in 20 years). I played poorly, however, every table I played on rolled nicely and was very fair. The pockets were a perfect size. SJM, sorry I missed introducing myself. I was eating the same time you were and didn't want to interrupt your meal. Enjoy your writeups. Jay
Sorry we didn't get to meet, Jay.

Last edited:

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are really ate up about me aren’t you, lol — if you cared a fraction as much about pool…

Lou Figueroa
Really. This is almost as silly as you saying Carl Bolm put up $10,000 so Tony Chohan and Shane Van Boening could play their next challenge match without smoke. I did get a chuckle out of the fact that you could not say you were wrong — the best you could do was say I was correct lol 😂😂

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really. This is almost as silly as you saying Carl Bolm put up $10,000 so Tony Chohan and Shane Van Boening could play their next challenge match without smoke. I did get a chuckle out of the fact that you could not say you were wrong — the best you could do was say I was correct lol 😂😂

I know you’re infatuated with me but I do hope you’ll be able to get over that someday.

Lou Figueroa
wow

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, Steve, your hard on for me is showing again and I know you’re moments away from issuing your “let’s compare/bet on SAT scores” challenge again, but instead of continuing to piss all over Stu’s thread why don’t you start a new thread in which you can go all Lou 24/7?

Lou Figueroa

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nah you get the last twisted word 😁

Unless…. You wanted to bet on who has demonstrated more “care” for pool.