SJM Sizes up 2022 in Pro Pool

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If you look back Pool and the dreams of being big in Pool have always been the thoughts of the young upstarts.

To change Pool's landscape is a change in business model for today's Pool places.

Pool left the uptown Pool room and went to the side street Recreation center then video
games showed up, and it went to the Sports Bar at the Strip Mall.

Make the Pool Room profitable again (without alcohol) and the pockets of support will open up like nothing we've ever seen before,
but it will take a few decades to turn the corner. All stuff of dreams when Pool needs support right now.
Good post. Makes sense.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If you look back Pool and the dreams of being big in Pool have always been the thoughts of the young upstarts.

To change Pool's landscape is a change in business model for today's Pool places.

Pool left the uptown Pool room and went to the side street Recreation center then video
games showed up, and it went to the Sports Bar at the Strip Mall.

Make the Pool Room profitable again (without alcohol) and the pockets of support will open up like nothing we've ever seen before,
but it will take a few decades to turn the corner. All stuff of dreams when Pool needs support right now.
(y)

I opened CO first youth pool room, only thing I would have added was a soda fountain.
Key to getting youth in your room and keepin' it going is this.
And don't forget, on the weekends, the 16 yr olds are driving, ck'n it out, that will never change.

Find a CENTRAL location that pins your business model between all the High schools in your area, and a good parking lot.
It's also nice, when the parents can drop the kids off, and do their shopping come back and know they are ok.

And the key, hire a good looking HS girl that has good friends, especially for the weekends and nights.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
(y)

I opened CO first youth pool room, only thing I would have added was a soda fountain.
And don't forget, on the weekends, the 16 yr olds are driving, ck'n it out, that will never change.

Find a CENTRAL location that pins your business model between all the High schools in your area, and a good parking lot.
It's also nice, when the parents can drop the kids off, and do their shopping come back and know they are ok.

A few years ago my wife's businesses rent went up. She mentioned it so asked, "what is your rent?"

It was so low that I started looking into the rents available in the small towns of the South by calling the
Chambers of Commerce.

If you are ready with a checkbook when something becomes available in towns in Virginia, North Carolina,
South Carolina and Georgia. (Likely Tennessee also) you can find rents from $1.50 per square foot up $5.

My wifes space is around 3000 sq. ft 3000 x 1.50 per square=4500/12 months=375 per month.

I started looking into the room business and was writing a book on it to collect my ideas on it from a food service
perspective (retired food manager) and found ways to get around the food codes by changing food and changing
equipment.

Ive been derailed from finishing that book several times. One model I used with used tables I was going to be able to
get a decent start for 30 to 35k, if I remember it correctly. Of course there are many scenarios.

The bottom line is I think its possible to layout a template for the creation of rooms in the small towns once again but
you have to be ready to rent or go home.

I found a room nearby in Virginia. The guy told me that his sales of canned soda and crackers paid his rent every month.
He was $4 and hour and sold cues and he was doing really well.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
A few years ago my wife's businesses rent went up. She mentioned it so asked, "what is your rent?"

It was so low that I started looking into the rents available in the small towns of the South by calling the
Chambers of Commerce.

If you are ready with a checkbook when something becomes available in towns in Virginia, North Carolina,
South Carolina and Georgia. (Likely Tennessee also) you can find rents from $1.50 per square foot up $5.

My wifes space is around 3000 sq. ft 3000 x 1.50 per square=4500/12 months=375 per month.

I started looking into the room business and was writing a book on it to collect my ideas on it from a food service
perspective (retired food manager) and found ways to get around the food codes by changing food and changing
equipment.

Ive been derailed from finishing that book several times. One model I used with used tables I was going to be able to
get a decent start for 30 to 35k, if I remember it correctly. Of course there are many scenarios.

The bottom line is I think its possible to layout a template for the creation of rooms in the small towns once again but
you have to be ready to rent or go home.

I found a room nearby in Virginia. The guy told me that his sales of canned soda and crackers paid his rent every month.
He was $4 and hour and sold cues and he was doing really well.
The pandemic, has created space for le$$.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Boyes choice was a close one. He doesn't know the game like Jeremy Jones (or Alex Lely), but I gave him the nod for many of the reasons you did. He keeps it simple and addresses the mainstream fan rather than the serious pool fan in his commentary, his introductions, his pre-match interviews and his post-match interviews.

In addition, Karl gets genuinely excited about really good shots, sometimes without even explaining those shots, but I like that because mainstream fans will feed off his genuine enthusiasm for the play.

He's truly a jack-of-all trades in his job. He's part presenter, part interviewer, and part fan, and it adds up to a very valuable asset in Matchroom's arsenal.
Karl is a great guy. He’s doing a great job for MR imo.

Guy Manges

Registered
Thanks for a great roundup! Now, hopefully, we will see The U.S.A. jump on the band wagon of promoting pool to our youth and opening decent rooms around the country. Hopefully in 2023 the tide turns against all the present room owners who are converting existing rooms to 7 foot bar table discount/booze houses where nobody will be able to build the skills needed to compete on the international scale against the best Europe and Asia have to offer.
Yes the international pool scene is super exciting- would like to see some of that excitement filter to our shores from the ground up.Are there any pool equipment manufacturers willing to invest in an academic approach to rebuilding pool here in the U.S. as they have done so well in Europe for example?
Seems like our existing pool room Facebook pages are filled with promotions for free booze hours, football nights with give aways, happy hour specials, MMA viewing nights, and photos of rows of bar tables as a sideline to the main event of drinking.
This must change or we will not be taken seriously as a producer of highly competitive players on a mass scale.

Proof is that your entire list of 2022 finalists had only one U.S. born name- SVB.

This can change- I remember when EVERY top pool finalist was born in the U.S. - seems like once Brunswick threw in the towel that was the beginning of the end here- I would personally invest in the right concepts to do this right again here in the U.S. - but we need some bigger money leaders here to get it started.
Thank you for that, This was the 1st year I've watched the Mosconi in a long time, Except for Earl, This was a Sad Sad thing... I could see better pool in a local senior center on bad equipment... If we are to have the world top hot shots again we must get past the today's mindsets... Guy

Guy Manges

Registered
(y)

And the key, hire a good looking HS girl that has good friends, especially for the weekends and nights.
YES.... Guy