Skinny or Thin Cue handles - Production cues

suharsh

Registered
First, best wishes for a new year to the AzB community!

I did search AzB forums and got several hits, but most were referring to Custom cues and some discussions are now dated because either the Cue maker is now famous and has a long wait list or no longer has a website. Hence starting this new discussion.

I have relatively small hands and therefore feel better to grip cues with thin handles. A point of reference is the Cuetec Gen-Tek series or the Scorpion cues. The problem is that both these cues have joints that are Cuetec specific (3/8 x 14) and nowadays there aren't as many choices in shafts for this joint as used to be before. I have OB, Mezz, SS360, Lucasi, Predator and other shafts for other joints ... for which the Cue handles are thick.

Referring to the Cuetec Gen-Tek series - the dimensions at Collar are 20mm(Legacy joint, the new AVID are I think 21.3mm), start of the grip it is 24mm and end of the grip the diameter is 28mm.

The additional butts / cues that I am looking for in other joints - Mezz United, 5/16 x 14, 3/8 x 10 and 5/8 x 16 and Uniloc.

I do intend to go, assuming COVID is not a major concern, to the Expo April next year .. and hopefully there are enough exhibitors to find what I am looking for. But meanwhile looking for those like me who prefer thin handles for their recommendations.

Cheers!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... .. and hopefully there are enough exhibitors to find what I am looking for. But meanwhile looking for those like me who prefer thin handles for their recommendations.

Cheers!
If you can afford it, find a local cue maker and have him make the cue you want. If you don't need fancy, a lot of cue makers can do something economical with a standard joint.

docgpmiller

take any linen wrapped butt have a cue repair or cue maker strip the linen then take the handle down to where it's thin enough for you.
Re wrap with linen and off you go.
I think that is a good idea for the OP

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dendweller

I did search AzB forums and got several hits, but most were referring to Custom cues and some discussions are now dated because either the Cue maker is now famous and has a long wait list or no longer has a website. Hence starting this new discussion.

I have relatively small hands and therefore feel better to grip cues with thin handles. A point of reference is the Cuetec Gen-Tek series or the Scorpion cues. The problem is that both these cues have joints that are Cuetec specific (3/8 x 14) and nowadays there aren't as many choices in shafts for this joint as used to be before. I have OB, Mezz, SS360, Lucasi, Predator and other shafts for other joints ... for which the Cue handles are thick.

Referring to the Cuetec Gen-Tek series - the dimensions at Collar are 20mm(Legacy joint, the new AVID are I think 21.3mm), start of the grip it is 24mm and end of the grip the diameter is 28mm.

The additional butts / cues that I am looking for in other joints - Mezz United, 5/16 x 14, 3/8 x 10 and 5/8 x 16 and Uniloc.

I do intend to go, assuming COVID is not a major concern, to the Expo April next year .. and hopefully there are enough exhibitors to find what I am looking for. But meanwhile looking for those like me who prefer thin handles for their recommendations.

Cheers!
Not a cue maker but I have a lathe etc. I play with cutoff house cues mostly and take the handle down pretty narrow, a bit over an inch. Always wondered why you can order snooker cues with the handle width starting at a little over an inch but US cues seem to be locked in at either 1.20 or 1.25.
Actually, it's probably the biggest reason I have a longer lathe. I have a smaller one for tips.

One other thing that may be helpful. I've had a couple good cue makers take a crack at getting a stick narrow enough for me. They'd only sand because they didn't want to mess with the taper they had set up for their custom cues. Didn't work out that well. What I've been doing recently is just making the last 8 to 10 inches of the butt more narrow with no taper. I'm sure no one else would much like it but that way I'm not messing with the joint diameter and not loosing as much weight off the cue which I have to make up with weight bolts. And I'm the only one that has to play with it.

Last edited:

DeeDeeCues

Not a cue maker but I have a lathe etc. I play with cutoff house cues mostly and take the handle down pretty narrow, a bit over an inch. Always wondered why you can order snooker cues with the handle width starting at a little over an inch but US cues seem to be locked in at either 1.20 or 1.25.
Actually, it's probably the biggest reason I have a longer lathe. I have a smaller one for tips.

One other thing that may be helpful. I've had a couple good cue makers take a crack at getting a stick narrow enough for me. They'd only sand because they didn't want to mess with the taper they had set up for their custom cues. Didn't work out that well. What I've been doing recently is just making the last 8 to 10 inches of the butt more narrow with no taper. I'm sure no one else would much like it but that way I'm not messing with the joint diameter and not loosing as much weight off the cue which I have to make up with weight bolts. And I'm the only one that has to play with it.

Sounds similar to how I made my personal cue. Almost no taper from the beginning of the handle back.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheers!
As people have mentioned you can have something made or modify an old cue. Depending on the location of you grip. I have had my wrap extended to the butt of my cues (to my spec) for a few extra dollars.

Having your cue fit makes all the difference. An extreme example is the reverse taper Black Boar uses (skinniest at the butt cap).

dendweller

As people have mentioned you can have something made or modify an old cue. Depending on the location of you grip. I have had my wrap extended to the butt of my cues (to my spec) for a few extra dollars.

Having your cue fit makes all the difference. An extreme example is the reverse taper Black Boar uses (skinniest at the butt cap).
I remember at the end of a Bert Kinister video he was hawking a line of cues that was called the widow maker that had a reverse taper for the last few inches.

suharsh

Registered
If you can afford it, find a local cue maker and have him make the cue you want. If you don't need fancy, a lot of cue makers can do something economical with a standard joint.

Thanks Bob. yes, looking for something that is plain and inexpensive ... any names of Cue makers? Even a budding or a new cue maker works for me. Another option I am thinking ... perhaps may not be feasible technically, is the change the joint itself in the existing cue? Is that possible? Or is it too invasive for the integrity of the cue at the joint. Thanks to all who have replied.

suharsh

Registered
take any linen wrapped butt have a cue repair or cue maker strip the linen then take the handle down to where it's thin enough for you.
Re wrap with linen and off you go.
Thanks for the idea .. corollary question ... would that not impact any work on the section of the handle above the grip. Meaning, the area of the inlays or decals? I will ask around for local cue makers ... btw I am in the DMV area - DC, MD, VA.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
also remember if you get used to an unusual cue then you will have problems if you have to switch for some reason or borrow a cue.
i dont know if you are new to pool but most newer players will hold the butt too tightly and wrap too much of their hands around it.
big guys and little guys have all through history got along fine with the standard cue.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you go to the Predator website cues, click on filters, and grip diameter. They have 24 models with a thin grip. Having said that the thinnest grip cues I have both came from Bob Frey. They were ordered as his standard SP. Bob is local to you in MD. He is very well know as the sneaky pete builder for Tim Scruggs.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember at the end of a Bert Kinister video he was hawking a line of cues that was called the widow maker that had a reverse taper for the last few inches.
So reverse taper is good (in my opinion). Especially for break cues and players that hold the butt. Cue makers could add more ergonomics for sure. Good questions for ask the cue makers.

dendweller

also remember if you get used to an unusual cue then you will have problems if you have to switch for some reason or borrow a cue.
i dont know if you are new to pool but most newer players will hold the butt too tightly and wrap too much of their hands around it.
big guys and little guys have all through history got along fine with the standard cue.
little bit but I can switch back to a larger diameter without too much problem. It's the different shafts, ld, cf etc that take more getting used to.

dendweller

If you go to the Predator website cues, click on filters, and grip diameter. They have 24 models with a thin grip. Having said that the thinnest grip cues I have both came from Bob Frey. They were ordered as his standard SP. Bob is local to you in MD. He is very well know as the sneaky pete builder for Tim Scruggs.
Took a look at the predator site, didn't see any info on what they consider skinny.

dendweller

thanks, not in the market, just curious what they consider skinny. Some cue makers consider 1.20 skinny and 1.25 normal.

phreaticus

There is some truth to your notion, especially if one likes to stay proficient with house cues etc - but I don’t think your premise is totally factually accurate. Its pretty well established that most older cues had fatter butts than modern trends. I have a decent collection of vintage cues - all of them have butts in the 1.3-1.4” range diameter at the buttcap. Most also have balance points further back than is common today.

Adapting to any equipment is a valuable consideration/skill IMO - but I also think the diameter of the butt where your grip hand makes contact (and the cue’s balance point) - are much underrated components of how a cue will feel. After all, the grip hand is where we are contacting the cue pretty much 100% of the time and where much of the control & feel comes from. Grip size/fit optimization is a massive consideration for nearly all high level players of racquet sports, golf clubs, pistols - all of which have very clear parallels to pool.

As pointed out by Bob, adapting a cue to one’s physical anatomy & prefs - is probably one of the most meaningful components of ordering a custom cue - and is achievable without incurring excessive cost.

I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum - I have long monkey arms and large hands (with regular 5’-10” build), mostly grip the cue far back at the buttcap - and have a distinct preference for larger butt diameters (1.28-130”), which is also hard to find on today’s production & custom cues which seem to average 1.25” or so… As such, I gravitate to full splice, SP type cues which seem to favor fatter butts & rearward balance.

Mass market & high end makers obviously must cater to the “average” player anatomy for practical tooling/manufacturing reasons - but IMO players with smaller or larger hands may find much comfort in a cue with butt characteristics that are more tailored to them. When pursuing a custom cue - length, butt diameter, and balance point - for me are absolutely the primary considerations.

Good discussion - just some thoughts from a fellow traveller on the journey.

Last edited:

suharsh

Registered
I moved here recently and believe it or not Mr Frey is very near my house. I did try to reach out to him several times ... and assumed that he is too busy with existing work. I guess I will just go to the address and knock on the door.