Slump

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not specific to 14.1, but...

Work on your basics. Working on your shot routine. Focus sharply on the object ball before your stroke comes forward.

Mostly, figure out which shots you miss and work on them. It might be position and not pocketing the ball.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Re-examine your pre-shot routine. Is it consistent? Are you maintaining it?

Many players fall into the trap of getting over the cue ball before the stroke and speed have been selected. If you lock in your stroke and speed choices before you get over the cue ball, you'll be more successful because you can concentrate fully on your aim and pocketing the ball.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Set up a table layout post breakshot with all shots you can make and get position for.

After you plan and set up the table, see how close you can stay to predicted paths.

This technique solely tests your ability to create a 14.1 run with a breakshot.

If you can set up the table why bother shooting? If you cant set the table for a runout you dont deserve to shoot.

You can do this with pro matches. That will show you how good they are per shot.

bubolt14

Lovin Pool
Set up a table layout post breakshot with all shots you can make and get position for.

After you plan and set up the table, see how close you can stay to predicted paths.

This technique solely tests your ability to create a 14.1 run with a breakshot.

If you can set up the table why bother shooting? If you cant set the table for a runout you dont deserve to shoot.

You can do this with pro matches. That will show you how good they are per shot.
Thanks I will give it a shot .... Joe

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Thanks I will give it a shot .... Joe

I am using that routine to train an AI.

Try to make the layout as easy as possible. Then level it up for specific patterns or angles.

Post the results, free advice is worth free feedback.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it’s worth: My game improved when I finally faced the maxims of: ‘NEVER (unless no alternative) choose any shot that you can‘t be absolutely sure of getting good position from’, and ‘NEVER move any balls that you don’t have to’.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it’s worth: My game improved when I finally faced the maxims of: ‘NEVER (unless no alternative) choose any shot that you can‘t be absolutely sure of getting good position from’, and ‘NEVER move any balls that you don’t have to’.
I’m guilty of breaking both those rules all the time in my 14.1 practice sessions. I’ll try taking your advice – thanks.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I'm working through a slump of my own at the moment. as I’m reflecting, it’s important to recognize if you are going through an execution slump or a thinking one. Or both. Currently I’m hitting the ball quite well but it’s easy to not recognize this since I’m still ending runs with a lot of misses.

My inability to think through the racks at the moment are keeping me in recovery mode 50% of the time or more which just causes a build up of pressure over 20-30 balls leading to a bad stroke. I think diving into my technique would probably be a wild goose chase since the answer to running balls isn’t exciting shot making. In other words trying to double down on 9-ball straight pool isn’t exactly a recipe for success.

So I had 30 minutes to dive in at lunch and while I didn’t have any runs worth noting, there was some heartening progress. I had about 3 or 4 15s where I got stuck in rack (note for later), but it’s not the number as much as it is getting through racks again without needing constant replanning. I kept my overall focus simple just making sure I was clearing lane ways for other balls. I’ll layer on to that in my next practice based on where I’m still getting into trouble. Im thinking it’s easier to get thinking habits fixed when you start simple and small versus trying reintroduce everything and possibly overthink some of the things you are already doing correctly. I hope all of this makes sense.

bubolt14

Lovin Pool
I'm working through a slump of my own at the moment. as I’m reflecting, it’s important to recognize if you are going through an execution slump or a thinking one. Or both. Currently I’m hitting the ball quite well but it’s easy to not recognize this since I’m still ending runs with a lot of misses.

My inability to think through the racks at the moment are keeping me in recovery mode 50% of the time or more which just causes a build up of pressure over 20-30 balls leading to a bad stroke. I think diving into my technique would probably be a wild goose chase since the answer to running balls isn’t exciting shot making. In other words trying to double down on 9-ball straight pool isn’t exactly a recipe for success.

So I had 30 minutes to dive in at lunch and while I didn’t have any runs worth noting, there was some heartening progress. I had about 3 or 4 15s where I got stuck in rack (note for later), but it’s not the number as much as it is getting through racks again without needing constant replanning. I kept my overall focus simple just making sure I was clearing lane ways for other balls. I’ll layer on to that in my next practice based on where I’m still getting into trouble. Im thinking it’s easier to get thinking habits fixed when you start simple and small versus trying reintroduce everything and possibly overthink some of the things you are already doing correctly. I hope all of this makes sense.
Makes sense , but I think with me it's all focus and doing what you say comes along for the ride...Thanks Joe

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re-examine your pre-shot routine. Is it consistent? Are you maintaining it?

Many players fall into the trap of getting over the cue ball before the stroke and speed have been selected. If you lock in your stroke and speed choices before you get over the cue ball, you'll be more successful because you can concentrate fully on your aim and pocketing the ball.
Very true. Good response.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right I get lazy and just start shooting 14.1 from my position to position without any preshot routine. I will work on that Thanks Joe
If you are not used to a concrete PSR, then it will be shockingly boring at the start. It takes away the guessing/anticipation, which is the point... but I also think people get addicted to the adrenaline rush of impatience. I have a theory of this being a big reason a lot of players just don't want to learn how to be better... it is kind of boring for them. You have to be a student more than a player. Or something like that. I don't know.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I’m out of a recent slump after buying and rewatching shaws 714
And buying one of those rhino shafts lol

Seeing the break ball and key balls he liked and used over and over helped alot as what to look for and shoot around to get to

bubolt14

Lovin Pool
I’m out of a recent slump after buying and rewatching shaws 714
And buying one of those rhino shafts lol

Seeing the break ball and key balls he liked and used over and over helped alot as what to look for and shoot around to get to
I bought a Rhino also, good deal.... but I like your idea I think I will do that...Thanks Joe