Smoke makes my eyes sting

I'd like to point out that in a capitalist country Profits drive everything.

If there was such a huge demand for non smoking bars and/or poolrooms. there would be one on every corner without the law.

now we have state governments dictating to private business owners.. private property owned by a single individual.. PRIVATE PROPERTY. but the state seems to feel it is well within its rights to dictate acceptable and non acceptable behavior on private property...

this is a dangerous precedent.. oppression of rights always starts with a common enemy... smokers... terrorists... doesn't matter once the state has removed a right from a citizen they NEVER EVER give it back...

No smoking in the courthouse... OK I buy that we ALL have to go to the courthouse from time to time. but patronizing a private business is a choice. if the other choice is more popular then non smoking pool rooms or bars will pop up on every corner and the smoking bars will close the doors due to lack of business.

just something to think about....

sorry for my rant... you can get huge bottles of wal mart saline for next to nothing a quick squirt in each eye and your back in business.
 
Last edited:
Let's see...

The government doesn't mind TAXING cigarettes and taking smokers' money everytime they purchase a pack, and then on top of that wants to tell them where they can and cannot smoke. Many states rely on the SIN taxes to fill their coffers for their budgets. Yes, I know - medical costs, blah, blah, blah... The more you allow the state/government to control your personal actions, the more you open up a can of worms that cannot be closed.
Look at how the Cigarette Companies lawsuits have now caused/allowed lawsuits against Fast Food companies, etc. ALL IN THE NAME OF PROTECTING OUR CITIZENS from the big bad wolves. When will it ever end? What is next? Hopefully, BEER is not next!!

Russ - BTW - what STUDIES show the intolerant attitudes of smokers versus non-smokers? Who ran them? Where can we find them? What were their methods? Just because somebody prints a study does not make it true - bias is everywhere, and inherent in studies like the one you mentioned. How do you measure politeness, and compare like individuals whose only difference is whether they light up or not? I would really like to see that one.

Hey, I just did a study and found that people who post on billiard websites and do not smoke are more likely to believe BS studies and their findings, over smokers who post on billiard websites. Just ask me about it.

JMHO - Michael
 
Russ Chewning said:
It is not smokers per se, that I am against. It is their thought process. They rationalize (just like you did) that a public business is not really public. They rationalize that others "have the choice" to go somewhere else if they don't like the smoke, but will rant and rave if someone opines that they should exercise their "choice" to go outside and have that cigarette as a matter of common courtesy, if only for the establishment owner's sake, to protect his property from becoming smoke stained.

It has been shown in a few pretty big studies that smokers are "generally" more prone to be discourteous to their fellow man. They are much more likely not to hold the door for someone, more likely to leave their tray on the table insteading of bussing it themselves at a restaraunt, more likely to flip someone off on the road.

In short, something about smoking turns off some of the ability to empathize with others in a large section of the smoking population.

But it's okay though. All the other smokers who refuse to show courtesy to their fellow man will one day be FORCED to by the government. They are in the minority of the overall population, and people are finally standing up for what's right and making "public" places safe for patronage.

Unbeknownst to you, (actually, I am QUITE sure you DO realize this) businesses are NOT FREE to run their businesses as they see fit. They NEVER HAVE BEEN. Government can tell a restaraunt it cannot use MSG. They can tell a business they MUST have working fire alarms. It can tell a barber shop it MUST use a disinfectant on the combs after every haircut.

The public safety is what is at stake here. What constitutes public safety? What the public decides. Now, that may not be pleasing to the minority population, but it's still the way things are, and the way things shall REMAIN.

If the public no longer thinks smoking in public is good for the health of the overall population, then it is going to go away. Your personal rights are exactly that. PERSONAL. You have the right to smoke wherever the government hasn't specifically told you you can't.

And, for the record, my wife is a smoker. She has never whined once about going outside in our own house to smoke. She accepts that it is a bad habit, and will not subject the family to it.

And as far as tolerance, I would much sooner tolerate a heroine addict shooting up in the bathroom of a pool hall than I would smokers stinking up the entire joint. The heroine addict has no direct influence on me, by "conducting his habit". The smokers however, DO. If I spend enough time in a pool hall, then the leather in my case soaks up the smoke.. It gets in my clothes. Gets in my LUNGS.

Russ

Ah, I see. I have been mistaken all these years. You are so right, it is GOOD to have government FORCE people to behave as they like.... Please forgive me for my errant ways.....

I don't smoke in the house, I open doors for strangers, I am polite to my fellow man, even when I disagree with them. Review of the comments above only reinforce the the fact that this country has bought into the socialist bent espoused in our educational system... More Government is good to help the people..... Ah, well, have a nice life.......
 
avmaster said:
The flaw in your reasoning is the claim of "public places". These are not public places, they are private business's that are owned by private citizens. To wit, these citizens have the right to dictate behavior in thier establishment. You, on the other hand, have the right to choose not to frequent thier establishment, should you disagree with how they operate. Our government pokes it's nose in where it shouldn't thanks to the "collective socialist think" that is prevalent in our country. I personally, do not go out of my way to antagonize non smokers, and abstain from smoking if it annoys them. Unfortunately, I find non smokers to be generally intolarant of smokers to the point of being fanatical in thier attitude of no rights for the smoker and they are intolerant, arrogant and down right rude.

the definition of 'public place' has a couple of meanings though. if it's a public place put there to bring the public into it then it is a public place. if your reasoning were true none of the hundreds of public place smoking bans would be working right now. the owner of the building would just say "it's my building and i say you can smoke" like russ has already pointed out, the government CAN enforce rules.

Ah, I see. I have been mistaken all these years. You are so right, it is GOOD to have government FORCE people to behave as they like.... Please forgive me for my errant ways.....


And why shouldn't the government try to phase out indulging in a drug habit in public which has a detrimental effect on others? Seems like the whole point of a government to me.
 
Great news. I picked up some bausch and lomb Soothe XP from walgreens and it is exactly what I've been looking for. I also picked up some GenTeal severe dry eye relief but haven't tried that yet.

The Soothe XP Appears as a milky white film over your eyes at first (its main active ingredients are mineral oils) but as it clears you have the distinct feeling of your eyeballs being protected.

Not only do my eyes feel absolutely 10 times better, but I can focus like I used to. I have 20/10 vision when I have perfectly clear eyes, but haven't been able to focus better than 20/15 in a while thanks to my allergies and general dry eye. I'm definitely back to where I was after using it a few times.

BTW the pool hall that this happened at was Q-Masters. When it gets going in the tournament room it doesn't matter how much filtration they have in place it still gets to my eyes. They're sensitive I guess.

Also, thanks to everyone who stayed on topic. Those of you who hijacked this thread and continued this extremely beaten to death topic can enter my secret code into your computers to give you extra bandwidth. First you hit the windows key, then the U key, then hit enter REALLY fast. Thanks guys!
 
eye drops

My questions to the forum are do any of you have experience with different eye drops, and which kind worked the best in a smoke-filled environment?

I have experience with lots of eye drops but not in a smokey setting. Patanol (rx) works best for my allergies, but I'm out of it and can't get any more unless I fake some rhinitis and red eyes (allergy season isn't here yet). Is there anything OTC I can use that lasts a decent amount of time and allows for clarity and focus in a smokey pool hall? Don't bother responding if you're going to say Visine; that stuff is terrible for your eyes.[/QUOTE]
I use bausch&lomb Opcon-A. I put them in about 20 mins before playing. They seem to last about 2 hours or so.
I use no more than 2 doses in a night or day of playing pool.
Neil
 
I used to be a pack per day. Camel straights. In Oregon, even smoking in bars will be forbidden, Jan.1, '09. Even though I am a non-smoker, I think this sucks. The anti smoking brigade began under the premise of "protecting children". Fine & good...but how many kids do you see in bars? Now? We have state legislators suggesting $500 fines if a parent is caught smoking in a car if his (or hers) minor child is in the car.

I guess it all depends on how much we decide to allow government to control what we can or cannot do???

Me? Glad to be an old fart...the mob rule they call democracy won't bother me much longer.

"Democracy"? Two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Gawd, to think,...this country was originally founded on individual rights...
 
pwd72s said:
I used to be a pack per day. Camel straights. In Oregon, even smoking in bars will be forbidden, Jan.1, '09. Even though I am a non-smoker, I think this sucks. The anti smoking brigade began under the premise of "protecting children". Fine & good...but how many kids do you see in bars? Now? We have state legislators suggesting $500 fines if a parent is caught smoking in a car if his (or hers) minor child is in the car.

I guess it all depends on how much we decide to allow government to control what we can or cannot do???

Me? Glad to be an old fart...the mob rule they call democracy won't bother me much longer.

"Democracy"? Two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Gawd, to think,...this country was originally founded on individual rights...

O yah O yah......
God bless America.............. for what it was and should be...........:)
 
TXsouthpaw said:
plain old visine, is always in my case it does the job for me. never had a problem in poolrooms its always in the bars that i have this problem. Try nicer bars with better filtration some are better than others. As for the smoking debate. I agree with Jude, We should all have a choice. Nonsmokers choose to go to a smoky bar and then complain about it so we should at least have the choice of smoking or not. Hopefullly TX never goes nonsmoking. They tried it city wide a while back and it failed horribly. Thank god democracy works. (sometimes)


You know it's funny. It's been 5 years since the smoking law went into effect in New York City (yes, it's actually been that long now) and my opinion changes as time passes. I simply can't picture myself smoking in a public place anymore. I think it's rude. I won't smoke at home if I have a guest and frankly, that's the exact opposite attitude I had five years ago.

People are quitting like crazy in New York now. I seriously wonder if smoking will be illegal in the next ten years. I KNOW if medicine continues to progress as it has, if they discover a vaccine that eliminates nicotine addiction, smoking will be illegal soon after.

I like democracy and capitalism and I believe in many circumstances, we should allow that to dictate our lives. I would like to believe that a business should be allowed to exist based on its profits, not popularity or political conviction. However, smoking is a slightly different issue and as I watched New York transition to the new laws, my opinion changed.


I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just saying once the law passes, your opinion slowly reshapes itself.
 
Back
Top