smoking or no smoking

Minnesota Phat

Is smoking allowed inside your pool hall?
I think the problem with having a smoking pool hall is that it will attract funner people than nearby non-smoking pool halls, and then the non-smokers will want to go there, and then the non-smokers will complain about all of the smoke at the fun place.

Is there still even such a thing as a smoking billiards hall?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Maybe 10 years ago Arizona passed an NO SMOKING LAW, it killed off business in bars, sports bars, pool rooms. Private Clubs were exempt.

Pool Rooms, and Bars with Pool table took a big hit in bottom line.

Local American Legion went No Smoking by choice.

Other private Clubs allow smoking.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool rooms now with no smoking appear to be doing great.

I think since a lower % of people smoke and smokers are used to being tossed outside they are conditioned to tolerate it. So they are more compliant.

If I opened a room now based on what I’ve seen, it would be non worn a area(nicely done) outside for the smokers.

5 years ago when this thread started I’d have said the opposite.

Times have changed. Adapt or die.

Good luck out there, tough racket to be in

Fatboy

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
All I know is Smoking Ban hurt for while, as I do not do tournaments any more, can’t say how Pool is doing locally.

Pandemic hurt rooms, and bars with Pool.

Minnesota Phat

The pool rooms now with no smoking appear to be doing great.
[...]
Are there any pool rooms that allow smoking that you can compare the non-smoking rooms to? In my state, smoking is banned in all indoor areas.

Thank goodness the state is removing our personal freedoms in order to protect our health. If the government keeps caring about our safety so much, they'll ban alcohol and gambling, and they'll require all pool cues to be covered in foam, so they can't be used as weapons, and they'll make everyone wear a six foot hoola hoop to insure proper social distancing - then we'll all be much safer.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Are there any pool rooms that allow smoking that you can compare the non-smoking rooms to? In my state, smoking is banned in all indoor areas.

Thank goodness the state is removing our personal freedoms in order to protect our health. If the government keeps caring about our safety so much, they'll ban alcohol and gambling, and they'll require all pool cues to be covered in foam, so they can't be used as weapons, and they'll make everyone wear a six foot hoola hoop to insure proper social distancing - then we'll all be much safer.

You're five years too late.

We the people lost another property right.

Jeff Livingston

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Griffs in Vegas. When Mark took over Pool Sharks He went non smoking. It was busier than it ever was, I had been going there since mark trainer opened it in 94.

Archers Place in Cartersville Ga opened non smoking and is doing great. MBC his other joint was smoking and didn’t do near as well.

Best
Fatboy

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chattanooga Billiards Club is fully smoker friendly and very successful and had their best year ever last year. In Tennessee you are allowed to have a smoking business if it's strictly 21 and up.

LG9BallFan

Is smoking allowed inside your pool hall?
No smoking where I now play. I am a smoker (I know, I know) and in my 70s. I don't mind it a bit about the 'no smoking' rule. We who do, just take a break and go outside. In the 'old days' all pool halls I frequented allowed smoking. :)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I equate part of the reasoning behind my rather low shooting stance to cutting my teeth in smoker friendly snooker room during my highschool days. The hall was in the basement of a building and you would literally break through the overcast layer of cigarette smoke as you bend over to shoot.

I can recall the time when the smoking bylaws were passed. Greatest day in pool history if you care to hear my opinion.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I equate part of the reasoning behind my rather low shooting stance to cutting my teeth in smoker friendly snooker room during my highschool days. The hall was in the basement of a building and you would literally break through the overcast layer of cigarette smoke as you bend over to shoot.

I can recall the time when the smoking bylaws were passed. Greatest day in pool history if you care to hear my opinion.
I don’t know how I faded the smoke. I remember going outside to breathe a few nights at the pool room. It was brutal. I’d take off my cloths and shower before bed every night no matter how tired I was.

Minnesota Phat

I don’t know how I faded the smoke. I remember going outside to breathe a few nights at the pool room. It was brutal. I’d take off my cloths and shower before bed every night no matter how tired I was.
See? If smoking was allowed, everyone would be cleaner.

I think we should all just admit that smoking is great, and smoking makes everyone a better person.

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
Griffs in Vegas. When Mark took over Pool Sharks He went non smoking. It was busier than it ever was, I had been going there since mark trainer opened it in 94.

Archers Place in Cartersville Ga opened non smoking and is doing great. MBC his other joint was smoking and didn’t do near as well.

Best
Fatboy
I would not likely frequent a smoking room either ... but the room owner should make that call and not a bureaucrat.

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
Chattanooga Billiards Club is fully smoker friendly and very successful and had their best year ever last year. In Tennessee you are allowed to have a smoking business if it's strictly 21 and up.
I think they allow a smoking business when its on fire also. :cool::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Rospaw1966

Archers is my local with no smoking. It's great and should be implemented everywhere. Use to play at Terry's place ( Cue's) but 7pm-9am all night tournament ..... messed me up for a day or two. Have a pair of shoes just for that tourney that live in the garage!
I like to go visit my friend Phil (CBC) but DAMN! As a non smoker it is ruff as hell to sit in the office with 4-8 cigar smokers for a few hours but worth it chatting with him. GREAT guy and an asset to the billiard industry.
Went to a small hall (7 tables) in Anniston AL this week called Rack and Roll. No smoking and a FANTASTIC little place..... no smoke, very clean, great service, good food .... wish it was closer, would be my spot!